Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Default HF Framing Nailer

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
(Ken Muldrew) wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a
bit
slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any
sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

For the home owner doing the occasional remodeling job, I think a palm
nailer is more useful, and safer, than a framing nailer. I'm
finishing off a portion of our basement for my wifes' stained glass
shop and had looked at framing nailers during the planning stages.
(every project deserves a new tool) I was quickly put off by their
weight, bulkiness, and specialized nails. Even storage would have been
a problem when the project was done. With a palm nailer, the compact
size has let me place nails in places I could not possibly swing a
hammer, and even in places I could not see. Since I use nails
infrequently, my hammering skills are a bit dull, resulting more than
a few bent nails. It is difficult to bend a nail with the palm nailer.
I find it to be faster than a hammer, though certainly slower than a
framing nailer. Most importantly, my palm nailer has a magnet that
holds the nail, freeing up a hand to hold the material being joined,
and guarantees no smashed fingers!

I got all three of them and they all have their places. Just my nickels
worth.