Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

Default Negative Gloat (if there is such a thing)

So I see this ad in Craigslist for a 12" Table Saw for $125. Craftsman, it
says. Older model it says. Only about 30 minutes away. So I say I'd like
to see it if it's still available. About 8 hours later, a reply with a
phone number and a note "It's still available". So I call. The guy who
answers sounds like he's in his twentys or thirtys. Doesn't seem to know a
lot about the saw. "It came from a machine shop or something." "Yes, it's
available." "Yes, it runs." "I'm moving."

So off I go. Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band
saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw. The
words seem interchangable to him. I politely decline, and return to my car,
secure in the knowledge that....If it seems too good to be true, it probably
is.

BruceT

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Bruce T wrote:
So I see this ad in Craigslist for a 12" Table Saw for $125. Craftsman, it
says. Older model it says. Only about 30 minutes away. So I say I'd like
to see it if it's still available. About 8 hours later, a reply with a
phone number and a note "It's still available". So I call. The guy who
answers sounds like he's in his twentys or thirtys. Doesn't seem to know a
lot about the saw. "It came from a machine shop or something." "Yes, it's
available." "Yes, it runs." "I'm moving."

So off I go. Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band
saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw. The
words seem interchangable to him. I politely decline, and return to my car,
secure in the knowledge that....If it seems too good to be true, it probably
is.

You... blow?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Bruce T entity posted thusly:

The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw. The
words seem interchangable to him. I politely decline, and return to my car,
secure in the knowledge that....If it seems too good to be true, it probably
is.

Been there, alright. Read a Future Shop ad, in which they advertised a
'Colour Laser Printer' for about $600. This was back a few years ago,
when they were usually about $2000 and up. But, I figured "Hey, it's a
big company. Maybe they got a good buy on them."

Got there and found out it was a standard laser printer. I wouldn't
have minded so much if they had just admitted it was a mistake, typo,
or brain fart, but the idiots had the nerve to try to tell me that you
could put various colours of toner in it!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Oleg Lego writes:

Got there and found out it was a standard laser printer. I wouldn't
have minded so much if they had just admitted it was a mistake, typo,
or brain fart, but the idiots had the nerve to try to tell me that you
could put various colours of toner in it!

Well, it *is* possible. I remember the ads when B&W laserwriters first
came out. For chuckles I tried to see if they were still available,
and didn't have much luck finding a color cartridge for my Apple
LaserWriter Pro 630.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Bruce T" wrote in message

Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band
saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw.

So Bruce Johnson's son's selling the old man's tools, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

You... blow?

ROTFL ... a good one!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bruce T" wrote in message
So I see this ad in Craigslist for a 12" Table Saw for $125. Craftsman,
it says. Older model it says. Only about 30 minutes away. So I say I'd
like to see it if it's still available. About 8 hours later, a reply with
a phone number and a note "It's still available". So I call. The guy who
answers sounds like he's in his twentys or thirtys. Doesn't seem to know
a lot about the saw. "It came from a machine shop or something." "Yes,
it's available." "Yes, it runs." "I'm moving."

So off I go. Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman
band saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw.
The words seem interchangable to him. I politely decline, and return to
my car, secure in the knowledge that....If it seems too good to be true,
it probably is.

Was that guy, Bruce Johnson, from the DIY channel??? He is clueless as to
what a RAS is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
Snio

Got there and found out it was a standard laser printer. I wouldn't
have minded so much if they had just admitted it was a mistake, typo,
or brain fart, but the idiots had the nerve to try to tell me that you
could put various colours of toner in it!

Hey, you can put water in your gas tank also. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Bruce T" wrote in message

Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band
saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw.

So Bruce Johnson's son's selling the old man's tools, eh?

You beat me to it... LOL Did you order that pinner yet?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bruce T wrote:
So I see this ad in Craigslist for a 12" Table Saw for $125. Craftsman, it
says.

You _should_ have known something was "suspect".

Have you *ever* heard of a _Craftsman_ 12" table saw before?

Older model it says. Only about 30 minutes away. So I say I'd like
to see it if it's still available. About 8 hours later, a reply with a
phone number and a note "It's still available". So I call. The guy who
answers sounds like he's in his twentys or thirtys. Doesn't seem to know a
lot about the saw. "It came from a machine shop or something." "Yes, it's
available." "Yes, it runs." "I'm moving."

So off I go. Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band
saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw. The
words seem interchangable to him. I politely decline, and return to my car,
secure in the knowledge that....If it seems too good to be true, it probably
is.

Look at the good side -- with all that high-pressure air heading your
way, you should have good weather for several days. *grin*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Bruce T wrote:
So I see this ad in Craigslist for a 12" Table Saw for $125. Craftsman,
it
says.

You _should_ have known something was "suspect".

Have you *ever* heard of a _Craftsman_ 12" table saw before?

Well, I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, so I did a quick
check a Sears.com & found a Craftsman 12" Table Saw Model 22802. Seeing
that, I figure that hey, I don't know hold long Sears has been making these
things, but I do know that they used to make a lot of good tools when I
worked there back in the 60's, so what the hey, let's give it a try.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Bruce T" wrote in message

Thirty minutes later I'm looking at an old 12" Craftsman band
saw. The guy calls it a table saw. Sometimes he calls it a bandsaw.

So Bruce Johnson's son's selling the old man's tools, eh?

You beat me to it... LOL Did you order that pinner yet?

ALL feedback thus far says to buy the Bostitch, and some have been pretty
strong about it, but I'm stuck in limbo ...All roads for the damn thing on
the Internet seem to lead to Amazon and they're "back ordered".

Locally, I don't think Empire Tools handle Bostitch, Circle Saw doesn't have
it in stock, and neither Lowes or HD ever stock the thing.

Ahh well ... we shall wait and see.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

ALL feedback thus far says to buy the Bostitch,

Fine Homebuilding advertised a Nikle pinner.. for $ 279.00 US.
In Woobweb forum, it is well received..then a bombshell:
The Craftsman *IS* a Nikle...and I paid $ 149.00 CAN$ for mine..and it
hasn't mis-fired yet.
The big problem with misfiring is that people put the nails in upside
down. Easily done.

It's the coolest little tool!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

ALL feedback thus far says to buy the Bostitch,

Fine Homebuilding advertised a Nikle pinner.. for $ 279.00 US.
In Woobweb forum, it is well received..then a bombshell:
The Craftsman *IS* a Nikle...and I paid $ 149.00 CAN$ for mine..and it
hasn't mis-fired yet.
The big problem with misfiring is that people put the nails in upside
down. Easily done.

It's the coolest little tool!

Hmmm ... does it put the nail below the surface? That seems to be the
biggest problem with most of the pinners. How about availability and sizes
of pins?

Thanks ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

ALL feedback thus far says to buy the Bostitch,

Fine Homebuilding advertised a Nikle pinner.. for $ 279.00 US.
In Woobweb forum, it is well received..then a bombshell:
The Craftsman *IS* a Nikle...and I paid $ 149.00 CAN$ for mine..and it
hasn't mis-fired yet.
The big problem with misfiring is that people put the nails in upside
down. Easily done.

It's the coolest little tool!

Porter Cable PIN100 23-Gauge Amazon $89.99 - I just recieved notice of item
being shipped.
I saw it at the last Woodworkers show in Pomona, CA - It seemed to work
pretty good - we'll see.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Hmmm ... does it put the nail below the surface? That seems to be the
biggest problem with most of the pinners. How about availability and sizes
of pins?

It drops the pin just enough below the surface for most of the fibres to
close in after the pin is inserted. They're damned hard to find and grab
pretty good. The Nikle (Craftsman) only goes to 3/4" but I have found
that to be enough for those small mouldings I have been putting on some
of my jobs lately. If a piece needs more than than a 3/4" pin, I'd be
inclined to WANT to use a bigger nail like an 18 ga. The nails/pins
offered are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4.

A friend of mine, who runs a large kitchen door factory, uses a 1/2" pin
to lock the stiles to the rails of his 5-piece doors till the glue sets
( credit Nahm).. they're hard to find in oak/maple/cherry.

It is not a finish nailer.. it is a pinner. People, like yourself Karl,
will appreciate what it does without expecting it to be a panacea.

One job I dislike, is to nail 1/4" thick ply- veneered panels onto the
kicks after I install a kitchen. With the pinner, however, I do not need
to go back and fill any holes. Time saved... more fun...easier on the
knees.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

Hmmm ... does it put the nail below the surface? That seems to be the
biggest problem with most of the pinners. How about availability and

sizes
of pins?

It drops the pin just enough below the surface for most of the fibres to
close in after the pin is inserted. They're damned hard to find and grab
pretty good.

I'm looking to preclude having to nail set pins, or have shiny heads pop up
after a bit of finish sanding, should that becomes necessary.

The Nikle (Craftsman) only goes to 3/4" but I have found
that to be enough for those small mouldings I have been putting on some
of my jobs lately. If a piece needs more than than a 3/4" pin, I'd be
inclined to WANT to use a bigger nail like an 18 ga. The nails/pins
offered are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4.

.... except for maybe 3/8 those are the sizes that I would anticipate. I have
18-ga guns.

A friend of mine, who runs a large kitchen door factory, uses a 1/2" pin
to lock the stiles to the rails of his 5-piece doors till the glue sets
( credit Nahm).. they're hard to find in oak/maple/cherry.

It is not a finish nailer.. it is a pinner. People, like yourself Karl,
will appreciate what it does without expecting it to be a panacea.

One job I dislike, is to nail 1/4" thick ply- veneered panels onto the
kicks after I install a kitchen. With the pinner, however, I do not need
to go back and fill any holes. Time saved... more fun...easier on the
knees.

There you go ...

Thanks.

--