Joe C

Default Gloat, gloat, gloat

Top this gloat.

I've had very few gloats over my woodworking days, a couple of neeners, but
this one is a beaut.

I was driving my daughter home from daycare when I come upon a residential
demolition/estate sale. I thought I saw some tailed tools hanging out in
the garage, so what the heck, I figure maybe the guy was a wrecker and maybe
he's even got a couple of nice neander-bubba planes hanging around in there.
Well, I was mistaken about the tools, they were all long gone, like 2 months
ago long gone. So I'm about to walk away when the guy mentions that there's
a bunch of scrap maple in the basement. Naturally, this gets my interest.
Unfortunately, when I get down to the basement, I find out it's not maple.
Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut. So,
staying as calm as possible, I ask him what he wants to haul all this 'maple
' away. After all, this is a demolition sale, and everything must go,
right? We dicker back and forth, he claims he's promised his 'brother in
law' first pick and he won't come up with a number, so I take a very short
drive. I go back 15 minutes later, tell him that I really can't come back
after his brother in law looks over it, so if bro-law doesn't take it, he's
going to have to haul it up out of the basement himself. He considers this
and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured
walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak is
50 board feet of white maple.

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Not too bad I guess. I would have tried to get more than $60 for hauling
his crap away though.

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA
"Joe C" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe C" wrote in message
Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut. So,
He considers this
and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured
walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak

is
50 board feet of white maple.

Nah, 20¢ a board foot for walnut is not a gloat unless the guy loaded it for
you.
Ed

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:17:54 GMT, "Joe C"
pixelated:

Top this gloat.

Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut. So,

and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured
walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak is
50 board feet of white maple.

Did the VERY loud sucking sound clean out his basement any more
as you drove away?

- Metaphors Be With You -
http://diversify.com Web Application Programming
DexAZ

So I'm about to walk away when the guy mentions that there's
a bunch of scrap maple in the basement. Naturally, this gets my interest.
Unfortunately, when I get down to the basement, I find out it's not maple.
Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut.......

He considers this
and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured
walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak

is
50 board feet of white maple.

Joe,

If what you got was what he considered scrap and offcuts, don't you wish you
could have picked up some of the "good" stuff?

Good score!

DexAZ

Leon

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message
Not too bad I guess. I would have tried to get more than $60 for hauling
his crap away though.

Yeah... ;~)

Leon

How can you sleep at night? ;~)

Joe C

It's not easy, I keep waking up with project ideas!

jlc

"Leon" wrote in message
How can you sleep at night? ;~)

Dave Balderstone

That explains the high winds here right now...

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Triple Gloat! Leigh Knudson Metalworking 9 June 29th 04 06:29 AM
Gloat Ed G Woodworking 18 August 9th 03 03:37 PM
Wood Gloat David B. Chamberlain Woodworking 0 July 18th 03 04:50 PM