Ed G

Default Gloat

I just received my new Knight Coffin Smoother in Purpleheart with a 50
deg angle. The gloat is that this plane is one of the ones Steve offered
for 1/2 price a while back. This is ONE AWESOME looking plane. I can't
wait to run it past some Bird's-eye maple once is acclimatizes. THANKS
STEVE!!

Ed G

Mike in Mystic

I received my padauk razee jack plane from steve a few weeks ago, with the
ebony inlay. I was responding to the 1/2 price offer, too, but couldn't
bring myself to screw him out of his money, so just took $30 off, so I think
I still got a gloat. Together with the padauk smoother I purchased earlier
(before the inlay idea was upon us, darn it, they don't match exactly) they
make for some wonderful planing. I also bought the shoulder plane set he
sells, but haven't used them yet.

Mike

"Ed G" wrote in message
I just received my new Knight Coffin Smoother in Purpleheart with a 50
deg angle. The gloat is that this plane is one of the ones Steve offered
for 1/2 price a while back. This is ONE AWESOME looking plane. I can't
wait to run it past some Bird's-eye maple once is acclimatizes. THANKS
STEVE!!

Ed G

Steve Knight

You'll love it. I have the exact same plane make by Steve early this year.
Although it came able to make curlies I could read through, I did spend
an hour or two scary sharpening the iron and learning how to "tweak"
it with a wooded carvers mallet.

a hour or two? I spent 3 minutes (G) another 3 minutes and the blade would be
perfect. you need to come to my shop and I will get you speeded up. lets see 20
irons a week to start with (G)

I took it into my favorite Woodcraft store (Cleveland,Oh area east) for
a show'n'tell. While I was standing with it on the counter in front of me,
another customer on the other side of the U shaped counter spied it. His
eyes lit up and he asked, "Is that a Steve Knight plane?" That started a
nice little conversation and a session in the stores workshop making
curlies out of a piece of scrap maple.

cool Now I feel all warm inside. well it could be it is 87 in here (G)

I ended up making two drill guides, a single hole version as a proof of
concept out of some cherry I had lying around, and then the two hole
version that Steve wanted using purpleheart.
As near as I could tell at the time I shipped them to him, both guides
would center up on any size plane body Steve expected to make and
do it to an accuracy of about .002".
I think we both did well on the transaction but I do hope that Steve
continues to have cash customers. Barter seldom pays the light bill.

it was a really good trade. I use the jigs on almost every plane.
the only change I could see was a deeper body with more relief for shavings.
I used your idea and made a tote drilling jig. I found the jorgenson clamp
kits so I did not have to tear a clamp apart.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Alan McClure

Steve Knight wrote:

[...]

Glad to here it Steve. Do you think we should tell the others the secret of
the guides or keep it to ourselves? ;-)
I suppose I could post photos if anyone was interested.
ARM

Steve Knight

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:10:28 -0400, Alan McClure wrote:

Glad to here it Steve. Do you think we should tell the others the secret of
the guides or keep it to ourselves? ;-)
I suppose I could post photos if anyone was interested.
ARM

Ya its a bit secret (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Gnube

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:13:18 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:10:28 -0400, Alan McClure wrote:

Glad to here it Steve. Do you think we should tell the others the secret of
the guides or keep it to ourselves? ;-)
I suppose I could post photos if anyone was interested.
ARM

Ya its a bit secret (G)

Well ok, but;

_____________________
(_(_)_____(_)_____(_)_)

Anything remotely like this? :O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Steve Knight

Ya its a bit secret (G)

Well ok, but;

I would post a pic if I could find one.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Mark

Steve - are ya in yer new shop yet?

Mark from Pasadena, MD

Steve Knight wrote:

Ya its a bit secret (G)

Well ok, but;

I would post a pic if I could find one.

Charlie Self

Thomas Mitchell asks:

My first gloat....

Came home today and found at least 20 bf of walnut sitting in my garage.
Free. Delivery included. More where that came from too. I was supposed
to go pick it up. I forgot. I feel terrible for not going.

Put the walnut away, turned around and there was a coon sitting in my
garage. What are coons a sign of... free walnut?

Great gloat. Coons are a sign of garbage all over the driveway most of the
time.

Charlie Self

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm
commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."
Dan Quayle

Thomas Mitchell

Well I sort of thought that coons were nocturnal and stayed away from
people. Maybe not the trash cans, but people in general.

We vacationed on Sanibel Island last June. Drove through the nature
preserve there and saw some creature. Large body, tiny head, walked on
fours. We had no clue what the 5' creature was. About an hour later we
were on a dock and saw a small coon wander down the beach area. By the
body shape we knew that the giant creature was a coon, but the SIZE!!!
had to weigh close to 100lbs. I thought the 30-40 pound coon we have
roaming the backyard some evenings was big... it just didn't compare to
the coon on sanibel. After seeing those two coons, we kept seeing coons
all over the island, mostly in the trash bins, pools, saunas, etc.

WARRENRN1 wrote:
Great gloat. Coons are a sign of garbage all over the driveway most of the
time.

not true.... not true.... we have a family of 5... count 'em....5 that
meander thru the yard.... biggest damn things i have seen in a long time.....
and they just stop and watch as i pull the car into the garage... must be
thinking to themselves... *well, he is out late this evening*....
my neighbor found 4 babies in the bottom of his CLEAN garbage can.... didn't
want them to die...so he let them out in his backyard.... one beat feet up the
mulberry tree between our yards and 2 others beat feet for my back yard... as
for the 4th... my neighbor had to pour the thing out of the garbage can... he
didn't want to leave....

Bob Schmall

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Thomas Mitchell asks:

My first gloat....

Came home today and found at least 20 bf of walnut sitting in my garage.
Free. Delivery included. More where that came from too. I was supposed
to go pick it up. I forgot. I feel terrible for not going.

Put the walnut away, turned around and there was a coon sitting in my
garage. What are coons a sign of... free walnut?

Great gloat. Coons are a sign of garbage all over the driveway most of the
time.

Charlie Self

How do you know this?

John

Here in SC they just might be a sign of rabies. Look out if the coon
is liking to be near you and get nearer! Since Aug 1 here there have
been 6 rabies incidents here in my county. 3 cats, 1 fox, and two
coons.
Ya'll be careful out there, ya' heer
John in SC

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:31:33 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
wrote:

snip
What are coons a sign of... free walnut?

Silvan

Bob Schmall wrote:

Great gloat. Coons are a sign of garbage all over the driveway most of
the time.

How do you know this?

'Cause if you have raccoons around, chances are they just rifled through
your garbage and left the remains of it all over your driveway. Nature of
the critter.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17082 Approximate word count: 512460

Thomas Mitchell

Yes that's exactly what the coon wanted to do. I shooed it to the front
porch and kept on working. A few minutes later I checked on the coon.
The coon saw me and got up, walked over, acting like it was going to rub
up against me. I did something to make it stop and it sat there in the
driveway in the rain until I closed the garage door. I was going to call
animal control yesterday but the coon has disappeared. I figure rabbies,
but someone might have been feeding it so it was accustomed to people.
Having a two year old, I'm not willing to take a chance.

John wrote:
Here in SC they just might be a sign of rabies. Look out if the coon
is liking to be near you and get nearer! Since Aug 1 here there have
been 6 rabies incidents here in my county. 3 cats, 1 fox, and two
coons.
Ya'll be careful out there, ya' heer
John in SC

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:31:33 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
wrote:

snip
What are coons a sign of... free walnut?

Doug Miller

In article , "Noons" wrote:
Is rabies still showing up in your areas?
Jeez, I thought that stuff was all gone now?
Sorry, not being demeaning, just curious.

It's pretty much endemic all across North America. Not common, you understand,
but widespread.

--
Regards,

Noons