Larry C in Auburn, WA

Default Gloat, gloat, gloat

Not too bad I guess. I would have tried to get more than $60 for hauling
his crap away though.

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA
"Joe C" wrote in message
.com...
Top this gloat.

I've had very few gloats over my woodworking days, a couple of neeners,

but
this one is a beaut.

I was driving my daughter home from daycare when I come upon a residential
demolition/estate sale. I thought I saw some tailed tools hanging out in
the garage, so what the heck, I figure maybe the guy was a wrecker and

maybe
he's even got a couple of nice neander-bubba planes hanging around in

there.
Well, I was mistaken about the tools, they were all long gone, like 2

months
ago long gone. So I'm about to walk away when the guy mentions that

there's
a bunch of scrap maple in the basement. Naturally, this gets my interest.
Unfortunately, when I get down to the basement, I find out it's not maple.
Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut. So,
staying as calm as possible, I ask him what he wants to haul all this

'maple
' away. After all, this is a demolition sale, and everything must go,
right? We dicker back and forth, he claims he's promised his 'brother in
law' first pick and he won't come up with a number, so I take a very short
drive. I go back 15 minutes later, tell him that I really can't come back
after his brother in law looks over it, so if bro-law doesn't take it,

he's
going to have to haul it up out of the basement himself. He considers

this
and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured
walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak

is
50 board feet of white maple.