Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default Negative Gloat (if there is such a thing)

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Hmmm ... does it put the nail below the surface? That seems to be the
biggest problem with most of the pinners. How about availability and sizes
of pins?

It drops the pin just enough below the surface for most of the fibres to
close in after the pin is inserted. They're damned hard to find and grab
pretty good. The Nikle (Craftsman) only goes to 3/4" but I have found
that to be enough for those small mouldings I have been putting on some
of my jobs lately. If a piece needs more than than a 3/4" pin, I'd be
inclined to WANT to use a bigger nail like an 18 ga. The nails/pins
offered are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4.

A friend of mine, who runs a large kitchen door factory, uses a 1/2" pin
to lock the stiles to the rails of his 5-piece doors till the glue sets
( credit Nahm).. they're hard to find in oak/maple/cherry.

It is not a finish nailer.. it is a pinner. People, like yourself Karl,
will appreciate what it does without expecting it to be a panacea.

One job I dislike, is to nail 1/4" thick ply- veneered panels onto the
kicks after I install a kitchen. With the pinner, however, I do not need
to go back and fill any holes. Time saved... more fun...easier on the
knees.