Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

Default aquarium stand

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Stock

"Rich" wrote in message
looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

There's an interactive planner he

http://www.garf.org/index.html

Look under DIY pages.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=pla...y-vert-web-top

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S

"Rich" wrote in message
looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Good for you.

Gee Rich, that almost looks like a declarative sentence, but of course it's
not even a whole sentence.

Did you have a question?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Bill Stock wrote:

There's an interactive planner he

http://www.garf.org/index.html

Look under DIY pages.

As usual, it starts out with 2x4s. At least for a 38x24. The Russian
school of engineering :-).

C'mon folks. Take any cabinet you've built lately and stand on it. If
it's big enough have someone stand on it with you. If you've built it
properly of 4/4 hardwood with a couple of cross members, it'll hold a
lot of weight. If you haven't - oops - don't stand on it :-).

You have to wonder if the owner of that website has ever seen how flimsy
the stands are that you can buy in a pet shop. I wouldn't have one,
but they must hold up the weight.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

Default aquarium stand and the really helpfull answers given to the OP.

I've been lurking around this newsgroup for the past year or so and I
finally have to say something about the majority of the responders to posts.
Its a wonder anyone posts here, with all the sarcasm that is thrown around
every time someone asks for help. I wonder how many of you would talk to a
perfect stranger face to face in a similar manner.
Another Rich.

"C&S" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Good for you.

Gee Rich, that almost looks like a declarative sentence, but of course
it's
not even a whole sentence.

Did you have a question?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Sarcasm aside, what kind of style are you looking for? I saw one of
the plans for a 55 gal stand in the Yahoo! search link that looked like
nothing but 2x4's. I'm assuming you'd like something a little less
"industrial" looking? Do you want cabinet doors hiding some shelves or
a more open look like a table?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Josh wrote:

Sarcasm aside, what kind of style are you looking for? I saw one of
the plans for a 55 gal stand in the Yahoo! search link that looked like
nothing but 2x4's. I'm assuming you'd like something a little less
"industrial" looking? Do you want cabinet doors hiding some shelves or
a more open look like a table?

I think the link to http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildStand.asp is way
cool and very nicely done.

--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!
Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S

I've been lurking around this newsgroup for the past year or so and I
finally have to say something about the majority of the responders to

posts.
Its a wonder anyone posts here, with all the sarcasm that is thrown around
every time someone asks for help. I wonder how many of you would talk to a
perfect stranger face to face in a similar manner.

Another Rich.

(Another) Rich,

I have made 3 aquarum stands, all from oak, but each very different designs.
I feel I have something to offer on the topic. But I'm not personally
inclined to take the time to offer commentary to someone who appears to be
asking other people do grunt work for him.

People who ask well thought out questions generally get the best answers.
There are good people here that take the time to give quality answers. IME,
people generally only get stomped on for saying something stupid (not to be
confused with ignorant).

Yes, I was sarcastic, but specifically because the OP broke that (your) same
rule. I don't see the original post as any differnt than walking into a
diner and and the first words to the waitress as "want big sandwich".

I get on my eight-year-old's case for saying "I'm hungry". At least that is
a *complete* declarative sentence. And yes I am sarcastic to her to and say
things like "Gee sweetie, that's too bad ....... wereyou tying to ask for
something? I did not hear a question". She is a very bright, articulate girl
who is very capapble of asking properly and usualy does.

If I must, I'll give useful advise to the OP: " Do a Google seach". The
expertise in the group is far more suited to help design an aquruim stand
and to locate a plan for anything (JT notwithstanding :-))

Regards,

Steve

"C&S" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Good for you.

Gee Rich, that almost looks like a declarative sentence, but of course
it's
not even a whole sentence.

Did you have a question?

Rich,

I have made 3 aquarum stands, all from oak, but each very different designs.
I feel I have something to offer on the topic.

However, people who ask well thought out questions generally get the best
answers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bubba Wood

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:32:23 -0600, "Rich" wrote:

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a
70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand
pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum/

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Bubba Wood" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:32:23 -0600, "Rich" wrote:

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a
70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand
pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum/

Larry

Larry - very nice, everything. I have a couple of questions...

1) Where's all the clutter?

2) What did you use for stain and finish on the aquarium stand?

3) What type of joinery did you use on the stand? It's hard to tell from
the limited pictures, but the sides look to be well joined to the face
styles so as to give a monolithic look. How about the joinery of the
carcass to the base itself?

4) Post more pictures if you have them. I for one, really enjoy watching a
nice project unfold through the various stages.

Again - very nice. Now get that place cluttered up a bit.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Damn nice aquarium stand and damn nice shop, too! I noticed the
trusses should allow some upstairs storage. Do you have a way to get
up there?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

Steve,
Agreed, his question (statement, fragment) wasn't well thought out and he
could/should have articulated himself better. I still don't see a need to
flamespray someone.

Also, I wasn't lawn-darting you specifically, it is just a trend in this NG
as well as many others. I think the anonymity of NG's tends to lend them to
"less than face to face civility". My observation FWIW. I try to post as if
I were talking to my mother, She knew nothing about my hobbies and I gave
her the utmost respect. It works for me most of the time.

As an instructor, I live by the axiom that there is never a stupid question
just a poorly asked one. I guess its how you look at it. I prefer to see the
glass half full not half empty..

Sorry about my rant, I'll get off my soapbox and go back to my corner now.
And Steve thanks for the good advice I have seen you post in the past.
Rich Harris

Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S

As an instructor, I live by the axiom that there is never a stupid
question
just a poorly asked one.

I'll have to agree to disagree on that.

To quote my boss: "How big is a piece of string?". Useful in a rhetorical
sense, but otherwise pretty stupid.

I guess its how you look at it. I prefer to see the glass half full not

half empty.

It was stupid of me to call it a stupid question.

I should have said that I was offended by the question because it was lazy
on two levels.

Cheers

- Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

Sorry about the declarative question. I was looking for some other ideas on
case construction and trim finishing. Thanks Bubba great ideas. Also Im
sorry for not being as articulate in the way I wrote the sentence that was
not complete. When my children are hungry I do ask what they would like to
eat and then feed them.

"C&S" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Good for you.

Gee Rich, that almost looks like a declarative sentence, but of course
it's
not even a whole sentence.

Did you have a question?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rich" wrote in message
When my children are hungry I do ask what they would like to eat and then
feed them.

Think about the future. When they are 20 years old and "tell" you they are
broke, will you give them money or kick them out to find a job? Nit
picking, but there is a difference in life's communications when you make a
statement or ask a question. I listen, but do not always react, to a
statement. But I respond to a question.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Bubba Wood wrote:

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a
70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand
pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum/

Larry

Very nice. Much better than mine. Of course, even mine are better than
the pet store junk :-).

BTW, where did you get the beech and what did it cost?

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S

Default aquarium stand ... getting back on track

"Rich" wrote in message
Sorry about the declarative question. I was looking for some other ideas

on
case construction and trim finishing.

That's much better.

Here's a start. See what appeals to you in terms of style and function.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...+stand&spell=1

(go to Google.com click on images, then type in "aquarium stand")

There are four ways to go about the engineering of a stand (that I can think
of).

1. Basically a table (open bottom)
2. 2x4 skeleton with plywood skins
3. Structural plywood box (like a kitchen cabinet)
4. Traditional solid wood frame and panel construction.

But that is all putting the cart before the horse. Use the Google images to
get an idea of what you want and let that, in conjunction with your skill
set and tool portfolio, be your guide.

Start with "what" and work towards "how".

Refine your idea of what, and share with us your vision. Let us know a bit
about your skills and tools and we can likely make some very specific
recommendations.

Regards,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

Really nice shop. I retire from the Navy in 18 months....I have plans in
hand just waiting for retirement day. Excellent job on the stand too.
Nothing like fine furniture to display your fish from.

--
Rich Harris

"Bubba Wood" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:32:23 -0600, "Rich" wrote:

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a
70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand
pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum/

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bubba Wood

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 07:34:32 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Bubba Wood" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks Mike,

The shop is too new for clutter... Just got the final on it Jan 5 and
I'm still getting all the work spaces done. Outfeed table and
assembly table are next after the long work bench/CMS RAS table is
done.

The finish on the stand is a mystery. My neighbor is a wood finisher
and he took it away in the white state and brought it back like you
see it. It took him 6 weeks but he had to do it twice. Something
about MEK in a mis-labeled can and spraying it on as the "final" top
coat of lacquer.

I know he used a combination of dyes, multiple coats of lacquer and
what else I do not know. But is is beautiful.

Unfortunatly I don't have a lot of picturers of the build. I was
working in a cramped garage with little space, and less time. At least
with the new shop space is no longer an issue.

The joinery is mostly bisquit and the wood is all planed down to about
1 1/16 as memory serves. The top and bottom are also bisquits on the
end panels and the center supports are M/T joints to the carcass.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bubba Wood

On 5 Feb 2006 06:40:44 -0800, "Josh" wrote:

Damn nice aquarium stand and damn nice shop, too! I noticed the
trusses should allow some upstairs storage. Do you have a way to get
up there?

A ladder works... I'm a little leary about storing much up there. Its
only 2x4 trusses. So for now I just toss bits and pieces of left over
mouldings and such up there.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bubba Wood

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:41:20 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Bubba Wood wrote:

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a
70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand
pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum/

Larry

Very nice. Much better than mine. Of course, even mine are better than
the pet store junk :-).

BTW, where did you get the beech and what did it cost?

Thanks Larry

I got the Beech at Shamrock Lumber in Cumming Ga. The 5/4 was 2.85 BF
and 4/4 was 2.45 BF but that was last year about this time.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 07:34:32 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

1) Where's all the clutter?

Amazingly enough, my shop has absolutely no clutter at all right now.
I just finished completely re-arranging everything over the weekend
and now I stand there and wonder where all the room came from!

Gotta buy more tools!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote:

1) Where's all the clutter?

Amazingly enough, my shop has absolutely no clutter at all right now.
I just finished completely re-arranging everything over the weekend
and now I stand there and wonder where all the room came from!

Gotta buy more tools!

Funny thing - mine as well. I got fed up with things and instead of working
on the wife's ottoman, I tackled the garage. Two days later I can't believe
all the space I found - not to mention a few tools. Won't last long though,
best intentions be damned.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

what I did was go to pets mart and a couple other places and looked
inside the stands they were selling.

Mostly they consist of a 1x frame maybe and 3/4 plywood put together
with pocket hole screws. Most aquarium users recommend marine plywood
if you can get it. Most of the support is in the plywood and the frame
holds the plywood in place. Just make sure the plywood is under the
edge of the tank.

The hardest thing I had was starting out with no tools. I figured I
could buy the tools build the stand for just a little more than buying
from the store and besides having a better looking stand I'd have the
tools. 3 stands later I was definitly ahead of the curve on cost.

I just wish all my other projects could save me money like that.

Rich wrote:
looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

wrote:

BTW, where did you get the beech and what did it cost?

I got the Beech at Shamrock Lumber in Cumming Ga. The 5/4 was 2.85 BF
and 4/4 was 2.45 BF but that was last year about this time.

We don't see it much out here in eastern WA. But a WoodCraft store is
about to open (I've got a part time job there) - I'll see if they'll
carry it.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:38:12 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Funny thing - mine as well. I got fed up with things and instead of working
on the wife's ottoman, I tackled the garage. Two days later I can't believe
all the space I found - not to mention a few tools. Won't last long though,
best intentions be damned.

Same here. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for my plumbing snake
and couldn't find it anywhere so I bought another one. Then I pulled
my tablesaw out to vaccuum behind it and... surprise surprise. Now I
have two snakes.

I've really been pushing myself to keep things organized and so far,
I'm doing a good job. The nicest thing about re-arranging the tool
storage is it gives you a reason to think about all those tools you
wanted to get, but never got around to. I've left spots specifically
for the things I mean to get, and now I've got a reason to go shopping
because I don't like empty spaces.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Brown

Good advice but I would also suggest that the design and construction needed
for say a 10 gallon tank differs significantly from that required for a 180
gallon tank. Not only is the tank larger and hence heavier, but the
physical dimensions are different. It is not terribly unusual for a 10
gallon tank to be on a stand that is approximately table height but larger
tanks are usually situatied somewhat lower. This has to do with viewing
height as well as the ease/practicality of lifting the tank up higher and
also of maintaining it.
"C&S" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Quite true. I have a 110 gallon tank sitting on a base that is only 1.5"
tall. The top of the tank is about table height. At that height, I don't
have to stand on anything for maintenance and it doesn't unduly block the
window it is in front of.

"Doug Brown" wrote in message

It is not terribly unusual for a 10
gallon tank to be on a stand that is approximately table height but larger
tanks are usually situatied somewhat lower. This has to do with viewing
height as well as the ease/practicality of lifting the tank up higher and
also of maintaining it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:14:40 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:

Good advice but I would also suggest that the design and construction needed
for say a 10 gallon tank differs significantly from that required for a 180
gallon tank. Not only is the tank larger and hence heavier, but the
physical dimensions are different. It is not terribly unusual for a 10
gallon tank to be on a stand that is approximately table height but larger
tanks are usually situatied somewhat lower. This has to do with viewing
height as well as the ease/practicality of lifting the tank up higher and
also of maintaining it.

Not only that, but you have to consider what kind of tank you're
building the stand for. A marine tank is going to require different
equipment than a fresh water tank. A marine tank requires a lot more
filtration, different lighting, etc. and all of that has to go
somewhere.