Posted to rec.woodworking
Bubba Wood

Default aquarium stand

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 07:34:32 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Bubba Wood" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:32:23 -0600, "Rich" wrote:

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a
70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand
pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

http://users.adelphia.net/~larrydrum/

Larry

Larry - very nice, everything. I have a couple of questions...

1) Where's all the clutter?

2) What did you use for stain and finish on the aquarium stand?

3) What type of joinery did you use on the stand? It's hard to tell from
the limited pictures, but the sides look to be well joined to the face
styles so as to give a monolithic look. How about the joinery of the
carcass to the base itself?

4) Post more pictures if you have them. I for one, really enjoy watching a
nice project unfold through the various stages.

Again - very nice. Now get that place cluttered up a bit.

Thanks Mike,

The shop is too new for clutter... Just got the final on it Jan 5 and
I'm still getting all the work spaces done. Outfeed table and
assembly table are next after the long work bench/CMS RAS table is
done.

The finish on the stand is a mystery. My neighbor is a wood finisher
and he took it away in the white state and brought it back like you
see it. It took him 6 weeks but he had to do it twice. Something
about MEK in a mis-labeled can and spraying it on as the "final" top
coat of lacquer.

I know he used a combination of dyes, multiple coats of lacquer and
what else I do not know. But is is beautiful.

Unfortunatly I don't have a lot of picturers of the build. I was
working in a cramped garage with little space, and less time. At least
with the new shop space is no longer an issue.

The joinery is mostly bisquit and the wood is all planed down to about
1 1/16 as memory serves. The top and bottom are also bisquits on the
end panels and the center supports are M/T joints to the carcass.

Larry