Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default New woodworking tool gloat

Ever since I started working with wood I've been building stuff to
make it easier to get better and better results with inexpensive tools
(partly because I'm lazy and partly because I enjoy creating tools as
much as I enjoy making things with 'em).

A couple of weeks ago I had a visitor stop by the shop to take the
tour - and when he left, he carried off a little no-moving-parts gizmo
I'd put together that'd caught his interest. One thing led to another;
and Saturday morning I mailed back his copy of an agreement licensing
production and sales to his company in return for royalties.

This is a first for me. Probably won't ever make me either rich or
famous - but it's a good ego trip. The link below points to a web page
with info. I don't know when it'll hit the market, but hope to see it
listed in catalogs sometime in the next six months.

The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Connor Aston

Looks like a great Idea. I wish you all the best for full scale production.
Hope you seel a million. and make a few as well

Connor

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 08:32:50 -0000, Morris Dovey wrote:

[...]

http://www.connoraston.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type of device
has been used on construction sites since the invention of the circular saw.
Worked great when framing my windows a couple months ago.

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

Congrats Morris.

I have a couple commercial versions of this already. And they are too short
and are hard to hold down when using. Make sure this is wide enough to cut
stock that is at least a foot wide.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

That's great, Morris. I hope you it's a big seller and you get your
fair share. To often you hear of inventors getting very little to show
for their ideas.
Best of luck !
Lenny
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:32:50 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".

Good on you! Your CNC will be able to make a lot of parts for this
gizmo, eh?

"Gizmo Square. The only corners we cut are square ones."

You will remember us little people, won't you?

Congrats, Morris, you deserve it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".

--

Very Cool Morris. I wish you Good luck. Show him the Router Dado Jig next
time. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type of
device
has been used on construction sites since the invention of the circular
saw.
Worked great when framing my windows a couple months ago.

I used to work for a hardware company.
A guy sent us his new patent for a hasp with a hook built in.
Odd think is that we were already selling it; in fact it was in our 1898
catalog.
A year later I went to Mexico and found it on the door of a house built in
1575.
Yet the US Patent Office gave him a patent.
Go figure.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Toller" wrote in message

Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type of
device
has been used on construction sites since the invention of the circular
saw.
Worked great when framing my windows a couple months ago.

I used to work for a hardware company.
A guy sent us his new patent for a hasp with a hook built in.
Odd think is that we were already selling it; in fact it was in our 1898
catalog.
A year later I went to Mexico and found it on the door of a house built in
1575.
Yet the US Patent Office gave him a patent.
Go figure.

If the original actually had a Patent, it may have run out. Patents running
out is the real "bottom line" reason that R12 is no longer used as a
refrigerant in the US.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Leon (in ) said:

| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".
|
| Very Cool Morris. I wish you Good luck. Show him the Router Dado
| Jig next time. LOL

It's pretty hard to miss - hanging on the wall next to my table saw. I
restrained myself only because I've been waiting for you to come up
with a version that allows using bits without pilot bearings.

He's one of the few people that immediately picked up on the cut
placement aspect (the only thing that makes it different from squares
already in use) and the ability to RE-calibrate to maintain cut
location accuracy whenever saw or blade is changed.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

CW (in t) said:

| Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type
| of device has been used on construction sites since the invention
| of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple
| months ago.

Yuppers. I'd seen guys using several kinds of squares as crosscut
guides for framing. I liked the idea but the precision wasn't up to
cabinet-building standards - and it was the precision and ability to
recalibrate after a blade change that this guy liked.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

I used to work for a hardware company.
A guy sent us his new patent for a hasp with a hook built in.
Odd think is that we were already selling it; in fact it was in our 1898
catalog.
A year later I went to Mexico and found it on the door of a house built
in 1575.
Yet the US Patent Office gave him a patent.
Go figure.

If the original actually had a Patent, it may have run out. Patents
running out is the real "bottom line" reason that R12 is no longer used as
a refrigerant in the US.

R12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) was on the list of chemicals banned by a
treaty in 1999. It had nothing to do with patents.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Leon wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

A year later I went to Mexico and found it on the door of a house built in
1575.
Yet the US Patent Office gave him a patent.
Go figure.

If the original actually had a Patent, it may have run out. Patents running
out is the real "bottom line" reason that R12 is no longer used as a
refrigerant in the US.

With the way the US Patent and Trademark works today, they should simply
remake the application and resubmit. It's guaranteed they'll get a new
patent on the old tech.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Connor Aston (in op.s1l3paurqkab0d@vigor13) said:

| Looks like a great Idea. I wish you all the best for full scale
| production. Hope you seel a million. and make a few as well

Don't know if I'll ever make enough to pay the shop rent - but your
good wishes are *much* appreciated.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Morris Dovey wrote:
Ever since I started working with wood I've been building stuff to
make it easier to get better and better results with inexpensive tools
(partly because I'm lazy and partly because I enjoy creating tools as
much as I enjoy making things with 'em).

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Think you will find this one in Fred Bingham's book, "Practical yacht
Joinery".

I made mine years ago.

BTW, glad to see you got a deal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Lew Hodgett (in t)
said:
| The more things change, the more they stay the same.
|
| Think you will find this one in Fred Bingham's book, "Practical
| yacht Joinery".

It's somewhat a relief to hear that. The idea seems too simple and
straightforward to have been overlooked for long. I spent a lot of
time looking for this thing as an off-the-shelf product; but had no
success.

| I made mine years ago.

My first was an all-wood version that couldn't be re-calibrated, built
when I had my RAS in the basement of my first house and was putting up
knotty pine board paneling in a room on the second floor back in '72
or '73. I didn't get around to a metal version that could be
recalibrated until almost ten years later. I had a machine shop make
steel, brass, and aluminum versions and decided that I liked the
aluminum best.

You can see one of these original aluminum squares at the link below.
All things considered, it's held up fairly well.

| BTW, glad to see you got a deal.

Thanks. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Now how in hell did Nahm the Jigmeister miss this one!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Ever since I started working with wood I've been building stuff to
make it easier to get better and better results with inexpensive tools
(partly because I'm lazy and partly because I enjoy creating tools as
much as I enjoy making things with 'em).

A couple of weeks ago I had a visitor stop by the shop to take the
tour - and when he left, he carried off a little no-moving-parts gizmo
I'd put together that'd caught his interest. One thing led to another;
and Saturday morning I mailed back his copy of an agreement licensing
production and sales to his company in return for royalties.

Great to hear someone gets something for their work. Hope it
makes a good return for you

This is a first for me. Probably won't ever make me either rich or
famous - but it's a good ego trip. The link below points to a web page
with info. I don't know when it'll hit the market, but hope to see it
listed in catalogs sometime in the next six months.

The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".

With so much going overseas to be manufactured, that is a gloat.
Congrats
Chuck

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I had a visitor stop by the shop to take the
tour - and when he left, he carried off a little no-moving-parts gizmo
I'd put together that'd caught his interest. One thing led to another;
and Saturday morning I mailed back his copy of an agreement licensing
production and sales to his company in return for royalties.

Congrats. Why not put a couple of slots in the metal lip (the one that goes
under your hand), and attach it to the wooden board with wing nuts on
countersunk bolts? Then you could recalibrate with ease any time and every
time.

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/ssq

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

R12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) was on the list of chemicals banned by a
treaty in 1999. It had nothing to do with patents.

Actually DuPont's patent was running out in the early 90's They knew this
and lobbied to out law R12 and replace it with a more environmentally safe
refrigerant, one that they had the a new patent on. One that would not be
as detrimental to the ozone layer. Unfortunately the newer refrigerant is
more harmful to humans than the old R12. There was an ongoing article back
in the early 90's in the automotive trades magazines with details of how
this would unfold and it all happened as the articles indicated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

With the way the US Patent and Trademark works today, they should simply
remake the application and resubmit. It's guaranteed they'll get a new
patent on the old tech.

Yeah but the old R12 was cheaper the replacement is more expensive and leads
to higher profits. + the new is not as "harmful" to the ozone layer.
DuPont played this up so that they could sell their more expensive newly
patented Freon. As a matter of fact, Swedish scientists at the south pole
back in the early 1900's studied the ozone and documented that the ozone
hole was larger then that it was in the late 80's and early 90's. This was
all before automobiles were much of a common thing to see and Freon did not
exist then. This is all big business and government and environmentalists
scratching each others backs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:
"TeamCasa" wrote in message

R12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) was on the list of chemicals banned by a
treaty in 1999. It had nothing to do with patents.

Actually DuPont's patent was running out in the early 90's They knew this
and lobbied to out law R12 and replace it with a more environmentally safe
refrigerant, one that they had the a new patent on. One that would not be
as detrimental to the ozone layer. Unfortunately the newer refrigerant is
more harmful to humans than the old R12. There was an ongoing article back
in the early 90's in the automotive trades magazines with details of how
this would unfold and it all happened as the articles indicated.

My biggest complaint about R134a is that it doesn't cool as well as
"good ole" R12. As much as I like my Toyota, the a/c takes quite a while
to cool me down. The older car a/c's could freeze you out while driving
through the Mojave in August. One more thing to miss about the "good
ole days".

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Leon (in ) said:

It's pretty hard to miss - hanging on the wall next to my table saw. I
restrained myself only because I've been waiting for you to come up
with a version that allows using bits without pilot bearings.

LOL. The first version did not use pilot bearings. It used a guide
bushing. The problem there was that it used a guide bushing that seldom is
centered accurately enough to insure a straight cut line.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

Sure, now you come up with a common-sense way to get this simple task done
*after* I go out and buy a left sided blade saw!!! Thanks for nothin'!

Good luck with a nice idea!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message

My biggest complaint about R134a is that it doesn't cool as well as "good
ole" R12. As much as I like my Toyota, the a/c takes quite a while to cool
me down. The older car a/c's could freeze you out while driving through
the Mojave in August. One more thing to miss about the "good ole days".

You know, I have heard similar complaints about the R134a but I think that
the new refrigerant is being blamed for a design problem in many cases. I
have found that some of the new cars will cool faster and colder than
others. So far our latest vehicles seem to cool much better than the old
ones. With slow air flow and lots of stuff inside the dash that has to be
cooled before you feel air as cool as it is at the evaporator you do have to
wonder if the new works as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

CC (in )
said:

| With so much going overseas to be manufactured, that is a gloat.
| Congrats

Thanks.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

My biggest complaint about R134a is that it doesn't cool as well as "good
ole" R12. As much as I like my Toyota, the a/c takes quite a while to cool
me down. The older car a/c's could freeze you out while driving through
the Mojave in August. One more thing to miss about the "good ole days".

You know, I have heard similar complaints about the R134a but I think that
the new refrigerant is being blamed for a design problem in many cases. I
have found that some of the new cars will cool faster and colder than
others. So far our latest vehicles seem to cool much better than the old
ones. With slow air flow and lots of stuff inside the dash that has to be
cooled before you feel air as cool as it is at the evaporator you do have to
wonder if the new works as well.

My truck (w/R134a) cools down much faster than my Sienna. The lowest
temperature of both of them, after running for at least 15 minutes is no
where near the lowest temperatures provided by the R12 equipped cars. I
used to service a/c's with R12 and would get outlet temps near freezing
on a summer day. Not gonna get that out of today's vehicles! sometimes
I'd have to adjust or replace a component to keep the older models from
literally freezing up (the evaporator).

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Mine was.

CW (in t) said:

| Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type
| of device has been used on construction sites since the invention
| of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple
| months ago.

Yuppers. I'd seen guys using several kinds of squares as crosscut
guides for framing. I liked the idea but the precision wasn't up to
cabinet-building standards - and it was the precision and ability to
recalibrate after a blade change that this guy liked.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

CW (in ) said:

| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| CW (in t) said:
||| Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type
||| of device has been used on construction sites since the invention
||| of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple
||| months ago.
|| Yuppers. I'd seen guys using several kinds of squares as crosscut
|| guides for framing. I liked the idea but the precision wasn't up to
|| cabinet-building standards - and it was the precision and ability
|| to recalibrate after a blade change that this guy liked.
| Mine was.

Interesting - who made it? I looked everywhere I could think to look;
but never found a comparable product (although that was before Mosaic
and my intro to the web).

I'm really curious.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

CW (in et) said:

| I did.

Nicely done!

(Phew! I was afraid I'd somehow overlooked a commonly available
commercial product.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

OT - Humour: Tool definitions - long Phil Hansen Woodworking 8 December 8th 05 07:57 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. Draft 2 John Rumm UK diy 55 March 13th 05 01:27 AM
tool gloat, gloat [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 10th 04 04:33 AM
FUTURE tool gloat Tom Woodworking 11 March 16th 04 03:14 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM