Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default New woodworking tool gloat

Lee Michaels (in ) said:

| Congrats Morris.
|
| I have a couple commercial versions of this already. And they are
| too short and are hard to hold down when using. Make sure this is
| wide enough to cut stock that is at least a foot wide.

My thoughts exactly. This one is a full foot wide and the saw fence is
a foot long with screw holes so that it can be extended to whatever
length is needed. I don't think I'd want to use it with an extension
for precise crosscutting of stock wider than about two feet.

It does a really good job as is with stock up to a foot wide. The
"extra" fence length is on the end where the cut starts (as opposed to
where the cut finishes) to make it easiest to get the saw lined up
right before starting the cut.

The only commercial version I've seen that provides for precision cut
placement is a fairly recent lightweight plastic square that can be
calibrated - but not re-calibrated after a blade change. I'm just too
cheap to buy a new square every time I change blades.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar