Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default How much horsepower is really needed?

Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

Now, I'm not planning on going into the woodworking business. I just
want to outfit my workshop with good equipment so that I can't blame the
equipment on the lousy workmanship that comes out of it!

The reviews for various 1 1/2 HP tablesaws seem very good. Whether it's
Grizzly, Delta, or another good brand, people seem genuinely happy and
satisfied with the abilities of those tablesaws.

So ....

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt
that I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck,
I'm not even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

Thx!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

Now, I'm not planning on going into the woodworking business. I just
want to outfit my workshop with good equipment so that I can't blame the
equipment on the lousy workmanship that comes out of it!

The reviews for various 1 1/2 HP tablesaws seem very good. Whether it's
Grizzly, Delta, or another good brand, people seem genuinely happy and
satisfied with the abilities of those tablesaws.

So ....

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt
that I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck,
I'm not even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

Thx!

Jack

I had a Sears Contractors saw. I could almost stop it with my hand.
I'm exaggerating, but seriously, I had a hell of time cutting 1-1/2"
fir, much less anything harder. My 3 HP Unisaw never slows down at all,
even when cutting to it's max height. You might try a thin kerf blade
on the under powered saw to alleviate some of the bogging down (less
wood to remove).

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

I've got a Jet contractors upgraded to a grizzly 2hp motor. I've had
the motor stall out on 3/4 cherry that pinched the blade a couple of
times. It also works really hard on 3" cuts anytime.

When you start to bevel cut the, the extra hp comes in real handy.
That 1.5" thick stuff become much thicker in a bevel.

So if you can afford the extra dough, an upgrade would be good.

Posted to rec.woodworking
xcz

" So ....

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt that
I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck, I'm not
even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

As stated above, for thicker wood stock, but really, what it comes down to
is that if and when you do come across a need to cut thick stock, even if it
is only once, its good to have more HP than not enough. And as you progress
your woodworking hobby, you will probably start using thicker material on a
more regular basis.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor
OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 4 Reviews:
- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole System:
http://onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk3.htm
- Incra Miter Express:
http://onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews...terExpress.htm
- Ozito Metal Cutting Circular Saw:
http://onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews...cuttingsaw.htm
- Veritas Shoulder Plane:
http://onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews...ulderplane.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim and Steph

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

Now, I'm not planning on going into the woodworking business. I just want
to outfit my workshop with good equipment so that I can't blame the
equipment on the lousy workmanship that comes out of it!

Well, if you've got the lucre to throw at it, I can't think of any reason
not to buy a higher-powered saw. OTOH, if cost is an issue, get the lower
powered one, and you can always upgrade the motor down the road if you're so
inclined.

Posted to rec.woodworking
joeD

I have a 2 HP Grizzly contractor saw wired for 220 and cut 3" sugar maple
without any problems.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

A larger motor will pull:
a) a wider blade through stock
b) a blade with more teeth -- thus a cleaner cut, depending on other
factors
c) will cut through stock not completely dry.

I'm moving to a national forest in 3 weeks. When I ordered my General
350 TS 6 weeks ago, the tool dealer tried to talk me out of a bigger
motor. He was trying to save me money. When I told him I'd be
harvesting timber from time to time, he said, "OK. Get a 5hp. It's only
$125 more".

If any of these factors are important to you, get a bigger motor.

GC in L.A.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

The extra power is nice as you will not find any wood that slows the motor
down on a 3 hp model. Also consider that you are going to have to go to a
Cabinet saw to get a 3 hp motor that runs on 220 volts. You may find a TS
that claims 3hp on 110 volts but the company building that saw also builds
Vaccuum cleaners that have 6 hp and also run on 110 volts. Plain and
simple for the typical TS you are gong to have to go 220 volt and a cabinet
saw to get 3hp.

Now, I'm not planning on going into the woodworking business. I just want
to outfit my workshop with good equipment so that I can't blame the
equipment on the lousy workmanship that comes out of it!

If you buy a Cabinet saw, you "can" plan on cutting any wood of any
thickness and not worry about stalling the motor.

The reviews for various 1 1/2 HP tablesaws seem very good. Whether it's
Grizzly, Delta, or another good brand, people seem genuinely happy and
satisfied with the abilities of those tablesaws.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these saws. I used a TS with 1 hp
for 17 years.

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt that
I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck, I'm not
even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

Even cutting 3/4" Maple you can stall or burn the wood if you have to slow
the feed rate because of the smaller hp ratings.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"xcz" wrote in message
u...
As stated above, for thicker wood stock, but really, what it comes down to
is that if and when you do come across a need to cut thick stock, even if
it is only once, its good to have more HP than not enough. And as you
progress your woodworking hobby, you will probably start using thicker
material on a more regular basis.

For which you will already own a bandsaw.

1.5 is enough. Thousands and thousands of them out there. The number is
chosen so they can operate on a "standard" 15A 115 circuit.

Extra is nice, but so rarely necessary that you'll easily find workarounds.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

"David" wrote in message

I had a hell of time cutting 1-1/2" fir, much less anything harder.

I'm no Sears fan but as a Sears retiree I get fairly good discounts so am on
my second craftsman TS, the one with belt drive and cast iron wing that held
a router. The most recent purchased several years ago on a closeout when
sears and Ryobi split the sheets. Both the older (probably 20 yr) and the
newest do real good on 1 1/2 in soft woods but doubt they would hack it
very well on hard woods. They serve my purpose well but I seldom if ever
need to cut hardwood. RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

I got by with an old 1 hp Sears Contractor's saw for 25 years. It was
woefully underpowered for most anything bigger than 1". Now that I have
owned a 3hp cabinet saw for about four years I don't know how I did it.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
chuck

I went from an old Craftsman 8" TS with a 3/4 hp motor to a new 3 hp
Unisaw. Never tried to cut 2" hardwood on the Craftsman, but I never
felt it was inadequately powered. For really tough tasks with the 1 1/2
hp motor, you might consider using an 8" blade which does not require as
much torque (depth of cut permitting). Usually, feeding slower is a
satisfactory solution. A first-rate blade always makes a big difference
on more challenging cuts. Also, hardwood cutting is somewhat less
tolerant of misaligned miter gauges and fences.

BTW, that Craftsman was such a convenient tool that I kept it when I
bought the Unisaw. Sadly had to sell both.

Chuck

Ba r r y wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:47:26 -0700, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

I currently have a 3HP General 650.

For six years, I worked with a 1 1/2 HP Jet contractors saw. I never
felt the Jet was underpowered. To rip thick hardwoods, simply make
sure you've got a sharp 24T _ripping_ blade, and feed accordingly.

Why did I upgrade from the Jet? The cabinet saw has a left tilt, a
bigger table, easier tuning adjustments, a 52" fence, lots more
vibration damping weight, and better (but still not GREAT) dust
collection. The cabinet saw stays put when cutting vary large stock.
I found myself chasing the contractor's saw around the shop on a few
occasions. G

If you can get a used Jet or Delta 1 1/2 HP contractor's saw for
about 1/2 of the new price, with a good fence, you'd be fine for a
long time. The perfect score would be the same saw with all cast
wings, no stamped sheet metal wings. For about $300, you'd be able to
use the saw for years, and probably sell it for near what you paid for
it, _IF_ you want to upgrade.

Your buddy is snobbing you. G

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:47:26 -0700, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

Reasonable enough.

It's a question of torque as well. A brush (universal) motor has higher
starting torque than an induction motor. So a satisfactory experience
with a cheap 1 1/2 hp tablesaw does _not_ mean that a better cabinet saw
with an induction motor would be equally "capable" with the same power.

I wouldn't walk away from a good 2hp saw to a bad 3hp saw. But if I were
buying, I'd specify the biggest motor that my wiring could easily cope
with. My own saw is an ancient 3 phase brute, converted by the previous
owner to an undersized (1hp ?) single phase motor. I upgraded it to a
3hp motor myself and regarded this as money _very_ well spent. It's much
safer to use now - I feed it aq deep rip in sticky resinous timber and
it just gets on with it, no argument. That's a lot better than a saw
that sticks and bogs down, then works free and speeds up again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & S

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed?

Short answer, No.

As others have said there are some scenarios where it can be very handy. To
mitigate the problems associated with a marginally underpowered saw: you can
do the following:

1. Tune your saw well
2. Use a sharp blade
3. Use a thin kerf blade
4. Use the right blade type: e.g., rip blade, with a lower tooth count
5. For a really big cut, take multiple passes.

Just about every here has owned/used a 1.5 HP contractors saw at some point
and we all know they can produce fine work.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

There's a lot more to the power capability than simply upgrading the
motor. For one, I doubt the single belt drive on a contractors saw
would be up to transmitting the power from a 3 hp motor. That's why
most cabinet saws have 2 and 3 belt drive systems. I think your
comment was ill advised. If you want to upgrade, sell the current saw
and buy a new one.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy, what relevance is starting torque on a table saw (or any
woodcutting saw for that matter)? It can't think that it would matter
at all.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

So ....

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt
that I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck,
I'm not even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

Thx!

Jack

Jack, I faced the same choice and ended up with a Jet 3hp cabinet. I
had been using an ancient craftsman contractor saw. I loved that saw,
even if it did bog down cutting 1"pine if the stars weren't in line.
It cost me a little more in the long run but I have no fear of
Hardwoods, Dados, Bevels or astrology. To get into a solid 2hp saw
your'r close to some of 3hp cabinets. Having used both 11/2 and 2hp, I
would recommend the 2 hp and would not consider a 11/2 unless I had no
choice. My needs do include lots of hardwood and your needs now may
change over time to include hardwoods and 2hp would allow room to
grow. Besides HP you do need to consider other qualities; Fence,Wings,
Table, Arbor. All the HP in the world won't get rid of the headache of
a bad fence or warped table followed up with no support from the
manufacture.
My vote would be for a 2hp contractor/ although they are 115/230 you
could get on by on 115 until you could wire 230. But I point out again
that the price would put you close to a grizzly cabinet. Many like the
grizzlys. As pointed out by others a good quality thin blade can
help.
Half the fun is shopping.
YMMV
ED

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:00:30 -0800, David wrote:

I had a Sears Contractors saw. I could almost stop it with my hand. I'm
exaggerating, but seriously, I had a hell of time cutting 1-1/2" fir, much
less anything harder. My 3 HP Unisaw never slows down at all, even when
cutting to it's max height. You might try a thin kerf blade on the under
powered saw to alleviate some of the bogging down (less wood to remove).

Dave

I presently have a rinky-dink Sears contractor saw with the stamped metal
wings and have exactly no problem cross-cutting 3" oak and only
minor hassles ripping a 30"+ piece of it.

I'm no rocket scientist, but it sounds as if you were pinching the wood.
On 1 1/2" fir my 40 tooth blade barely acknowledges its presence. My blade
is parallel to my miter slots and fence to within .0005" TIR. I attribute
that much out of parallel condition to waviness in the blade itself.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0576

That oughta do it!

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

143 7/8 horsepower. If you go as low as 143 3/4, you will not be able to
produce any serious work whatsoever.
Seriously, I have a 1 horse saw. I have ripped 2 inch thick liptus using a
combo blade. Had to be careful about feed rate but didn't have any problem
with it. More power would be nice but this works.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

143 7/8 horsepower. If you go as low as 143 3/4, you will not be able to
produce any serious work whatsoever.
Seriously, I have a 1 horse saw. I have ripped 2 inch thick liptus using a
combo blade. Had to be careful about feed rate but didn't have any problem
with it. More power would be nice but this works.

That's sounds alright and workin, but how does one find_out the exact horse power of a motor?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Contrary to popular belief, small motors are not rated by output horsepower.
They are rated by input horsepower, how much power they consume. This, of
course, allows variation of actual output according to motor efficiency but,
for reasonable quality motors of the same type, there is not a lot of
efficiency difference. Volts * amps / 746
"AAvK" wrote in message

143 7/8 horsepower. If you go as low as 143 3/4, you will not be able to
produce any serious work whatsoever.
Seriously, I have a 1 horse saw. I have ripped 2 inch thick liptus using

combo blade. Had to be careful about feed rate but didn't have any

problem
with it. More power would be nice but this works.

That's sounds alright and workin, but how does one find_out the exact

horse power of a motor?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Contrary to popular belief, small motors are not rated by output horsepower.
They are rated by input horsepower, how much power they consume. This, of
course, allows variation of actual output according to motor efficiency but,
for reasonable quality motors of the same type, there is not a lot of
efficiency difference. Volts * amps / 746

Alright, volts (#) times amps (#) divided by 746 equals actual horsepower?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"AAvK" wrote in message

Contrary to popular belief, small motors are not rated by output
horsepower.
They are rated by input horsepower, how much power they consume. This, of
course, allows variation of actual output according to motor efficiency
but,
for reasonable quality motors of the same type, there is not a lot of
efficiency difference. Volts * amps / 746

Alright, volts (#) times amps (#) divided by 746 equals actual horsepower?

No to both. Power consumption is one way of rating. So many watts.
Doesn't tell how well they are converted to energy.

Power output another. Some go with "developed" HP, which is pretty
optimistic.

What's on the nameplate is generally pretty good.

This a good thing to read.
http://www.iprocessmart.com/leeson/l..._reference.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Yes, (before anybody jumps in to say it, yes, 1 horsepower is actually equal
to 745.6998 watts. Also, power factor has little use in this context).
"AAvK" wrote in message

Contrary to popular belief, small motors are not rated by output

horsepower.
They are rated by input horsepower, how much power they consume. This,

of
course, allows variation of actual output according to motor efficiency

but,
for reasonable quality motors of the same type, there is not a lot of
efficiency difference. Volts * amps / 746

Alright, volts (#) times amps (#) divided by 746 equals actual horsepower?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:09:01 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

143 7/8 horsepower. If you go as low as 143 3/4, you will not be able to
produce any serious work whatsoever.
Seriously, I have a 1 horse saw. I have ripped 2 inch thick liptus using a
combo blade. Had to be careful about feed rate but didn't have any problem
with it. More power would be nice but this works.

That's sounds alright and workin, but how does one find_out the exact horse power of a motor?

you don't.

there are so many ways to calculate horsepower that the term is almost
meaningless. a much more useful number for small power tools is watts.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Somebody wrote:

That's sounds alright and workin, but how does one find_out the exact horse power of a motor?

You set up a pony brake to measure foot lbs of absorbed power per unit
of time as well as the necessary electrical instrumentation to measure
input volts, amps and power factor.

You now crunch the data with your handy dandy slide rule, then plot
electrical data vs mechanical data.

I won't tell you how long ago we did this as a mechanical enginering lab
project, but the slide rule comment should give you a clue.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Somebody wrote:

That's sounds alright and workin, but how does one find_out the exact
horse power of a motor?

You set up a pony brake to measure foot lbs of absorbed power per unit
of time as well as the necessary electrical instrumentation to measure
input volts, amps and power factor.

You now crunch the data with your handy dandy slide rule, then plot
electrical data vs mechanical data.

I won't tell you how long ago we did this as a mechanical enginering
lab project, but the slide rule comment should give you a clue.

Well, since they are selling on e-bay as "Old, Rare, Vintage, Antique
Slide Rule - L@@K!", you must be an Antique. Wait a minute, I started
with a slide rule. Guess that makes me an Antique too!

Unfortunately there are a zillion of them out there. Slide Rules, that
is.
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Well, since they are selling on e-bay as "Old, Rare, Vintage, Antique
Slide Rule - L@@K!", you must be an Antique. Wait a minute, I started
with a slide rule. Guess that makes me an Antique too!

Unfortunately there are a zillion of them out there. Slide Rules, that
is.

I still have a couple of the less common circular types. Also an old
celestial computer, though the epoch is a few back. Wonder if there's a
market on e-b for them?

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

George wrote:

I still have a couple of the less common circular types.

They still sell circular slide rules every day!

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&CATID=171&Product_ID=1197&coun t=1&Pcount=2&DETAIL=1

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"B a r r y" wrote in message
.. .
George wrote:

I still have a couple of the less common circular types.

They still sell circular slide rules every day!

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&CATID=171&Product_ID=1197&coun t=1&Pcount=2&DETAIL=1

Ayup, my old Jeppeson CR-3 lived in the lower left leg pocket of my flight
suit for years. It's only incidentally a slide rule, however. I liked it
because it had both polar and rectangular drift methods on the wind face.
http://aviationaccessories.net/pro36406.html

The aluminum E6B type Sam gave me was unnecessarily bulky, and you had to
slip and slide....

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a vintage Unisaw with a 1HP Repulsion-Induction motor (the
bullet). My blade is a Forrest WWII and I recently had to do some
cuts on a bunch of 4 X 4 PT pieces which included ripping them to an
exact 3" width. Nary a hiccup, although they are not oak. Still,
there's horsepower, and then there's horse-power.

If you're buying a (new) cabinet saw, 3HP should be the minimum. If
it's a contractor saw with a single (normal) belt, I think 1½ HP would
work out OK for most homeowner stuff, but if you're thinking hybrid
(like a Craftsman zip code saw)... I'd imagine the wider, serpentine
belt would help on anything really tough.

For the money you'd spend on a "better" contractor-style saw, you can
often find a quality used cabinet saw. But you have to have some
patience to wait out the best buys. Even if a minor rebuild is
necessary, you'll wind up with a saw that looks and cuts like a $2000
new saw and it'd be hard to spend $900 on a decent used cabinet saw.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

3 HP
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"George" George@least wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Well, since they are selling on e-bay as "Old, Rare, Vintage, Antique
Slide Rule - L@@K!", you must be an Antique. Wait a minute, I started
with a slide rule. Guess that makes me an Antique too!

Unfortunately there are a zillion of them out there. Slide Rules, that
is.

I still have a couple of the less common circular types. Also an old
celestial computer, though the epoch is a few back. Wonder if there's a
market on e-b for them?

Last time I looked there were something like 500 for sale. Take a look at
the closed auctions. A very select few bring in fairly good money.