Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much horsepower is really needed?

So ....

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt
that I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck,
I'm not even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

Thx!

Jack

Jack, I faced the same choice and ended up with a Jet 3hp cabinet. I
had been using an ancient craftsman contractor saw. I loved that saw,
even if it did bog down cutting 1"pine if the stars weren't in line.
It cost me a little more in the long run but I have no fear of
Hardwoods, Dados, Bevels or astrology. To get into a solid 2hp saw
your'r close to some of 3hp cabinets. Having used both 11/2 and 2hp, I
would recommend the 2 hp and would not consider a 11/2 unless I had no
choice. My needs do include lots of hardwood and your needs now may
change over time to include hardwoods and 2hp would allow room to
grow. Besides HP you do need to consider other qualities; Fence,Wings,
Table, Arbor. All the HP in the world won't get rid of the headache of
a bad fence or warped table followed up with no support from the
manufacture.
My vote would be for a 2hp contractor/ although they are 115/230 you
could get on by on 115 until you could wire 230. But I point out again
that the price would put you close to a grizzly cabinet. Many like the
grizzlys. As pointed out by others a good quality thin blade can
help.
Half the fun is shopping.
YMMV
ED