Posted to rec.woodworking
joeD

Default How much horsepower is really needed?

I have a 2 HP Grizzly contractor saw wired for 220 and cut 3" sugar maple
without any problems.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

Now, I'm not planning on going into the woodworking business. I just want
to outfit my workshop with good equipment so that I can't blame the
equipment on the lousy workmanship that comes out of it!

The reviews for various 1 1/2 HP tablesaws seem very good. Whether it's
Grizzly, Delta, or another good brand, people seem genuinely happy and
satisfied with the abilities of those tablesaws.

So ....

Can anyone tell me why the extra horsepower would be needed? I doubt that
I'll ever be cutting through anything thicker than 1 1/2". Heck, I'm not
even sure how often I'd be doing that much!

Thx!

Jack