Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim and Steph

Default How much horsepower is really needed?

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
Okay, a friend of mine has been admonishing me not to buy a 1 1/2 HP
tablesaw. He says that a minimum of 3 HP is warranted for any decent
tablesaw.

Now, I'm not planning on going into the woodworking business. I just want
to outfit my workshop with good equipment so that I can't blame the
equipment on the lousy workmanship that comes out of it!

Well, if you've got the lucre to throw at it, I can't think of any reason
not to buy a higher-powered saw. OTOH, if cost is an issue, get the lower
powered one, and you can always upgrade the motor down the road if you're so
inclined.