Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default How much horsepower is really needed?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:00:30 -0800, David wrote:

I had a Sears Contractors saw. I could almost stop it with my hand. I'm
exaggerating, but seriously, I had a hell of time cutting 1-1/2" fir, much
less anything harder. My 3 HP Unisaw never slows down at all, even when
cutting to it's max height. You might try a thin kerf blade on the under
powered saw to alleviate some of the bogging down (less wood to remove).

Dave

I presently have a rinky-dink Sears contractor saw with the stamped metal
wings and have exactly no problem cross-cutting 3" oak and only
minor hassles ripping a 30"+ piece of it.

I'm no rocket scientist, but it sounds as if you were pinching the wood.
On 1 1/2" fir my 40 tooth blade barely acknowledges its presence. My blade
is parallel to my miter slots and fence to within .0005" TIR. I attribute
that much out of parallel condition to waviness in the blade itself.

Bill