Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

Default How much horsepower is really needed?

"David" wrote in message

I had a hell of time cutting 1-1/2" fir, much less anything harder.

I'm no Sears fan but as a Sears retiree I get fairly good discounts so am on
my second craftsman TS, the one with belt drive and cast iron wing that held
a router. The most recent purchased several years ago on a closeout when
sears and Ryobi split the sheets. Both the older (probably 20 yr) and the
newest do real good on 1 1/2 in soft woods but doubt they would hack it
very well on hard woods. They serve my purpose well but I seldom if ever
need to cut hardwood. RM~