Shawn

Default Grizzly 8" Jointers

Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers. I'm
considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a great
deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and I'm
unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.

Duane Bozarth

Shawn wrote:

Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers. I'm
considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a great
deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and I'm
unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

Just fine assuming you have sufficient ampacity.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Half way...as you note, the function of the jointer is to create a
straight edge or flat surface prior to planing to thickness.

The problem is that after achieving the first flat surface, you then
have no way to register the work to make the second surface flat while
remaining parallel to the first--that's the function of the planer which
has knives on the opposite surface from that which is the reference
on--just the opposite as the jointer.

Grizzly gets good reviews here in general although I've never used (or
even seen one) myself...

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

A jointer works best in conjunction with a planer. With just a
jointer, you can flatten the one side, then flip it over and flatten
the other, but there's no guarantee that the faces will now be parallel
to each other. That's where the planer comes in...you flatten one side
on the jointer, then run it through the planer to make it both flat
_and_ parallel to the other side.

As to the question about the Grizzly quality, I have no experience, but
would love to hear the other responses.

brianlanning

Shawn wrote:
For instance, can this also serve a planer?

Not really, although it may be close enough for you that it doesn't
matter depending on what you're making and how careful you are
selecting rough stock.

I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.
But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

You could flatten both sides with a jointer, and they would be flat.
The problem is that the two sides may not be parallel. You may end up
with something slightly wedge-shaped.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

It depends on the size of the motor. Most smaller induction motors can
be wired either way. The problem here is that 110 requires more
current than 220, requiring fatter wire. As motors get above around
1.5 or 2hp, the wire thickness and currents drawn get ridiculous.
There's also less of a problem from voltage drop over the length of the
wire with 220. If the motor comes wired for 220, usually you can
remove a plate on the motor and move some wires around, change the
switch, change the plug, and plug it in. If the motor draws more than
20 amps at 110, you'll have a hard time making it work, since 110
outlets are rated for either 15 or 20 amps. I'm not sure how you can
follow code and make it work. I run my 1.5hp contractor table saw on a
20amp 110 line and it works just fine.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

If you want to temporarily cheap out, a bench topplaner is not a bad
choice. Most of them are fairly good. Just be sure to get the dust
collection hood and use it.

Most benchtop jointers on the other hand are probably not worth the
trouble. I had a delta that was so-so. It probably would have been ok
for jointing boards 3' and shorter, but not much more. I tried to
joint longer boards and had trouble with it.

You could also buy the planer instead of a jointer and just buy s2s
lumber until you can afford the jointer.

brian

Creekbuster

I bought a Grizzly 0500 about four months ago and truly enjoy finally getting a
good edge on a board to edge glue up smaller boards into large width ones. If
you are going to have to edge glue boards or if you want boards that are wider
then 8-12" then you will like a joiner. I run mine on 220v so I'm not sure what
the load would be on 110v. It does have a lot of torque when you turn it on so
the lights may dim on 110v. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the
same unit again.
I thought I could avoid a planner if I stayed with lumber from Lowe's for the
next few months also and tried flipping the board over to reduce the thickness
and quickly learned not all lumber you purchase has the same thickness
throughout the board. I had a 3/4" board that was 3/4" on one edge and the other
edge was about 5/8" thick. The joiner just cut a perfect surface on each side
but did nothing to straight out the thickness problem. If your wood is the same
thickness then you maybe able to avoid a planner for a few months but I bought
one the next day after seeing wood is sometimes not the same thickness. They
both work together to give you a board that's ready to build with.

"Shawn" wrote:

Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers. I'm
considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a great
deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and I'm
unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.

You can read a review of 8" jointers in the latest Fine Woodworking.
Their findings boil down to a whole-lotta-no-big-difference among most
of the under-$2,000 machines.

Running a 2 HP jointer on 110V isn't a great idea. If you're thinking
of plugging it into a an existing 15A shared circuit, forget it. You
really would need a dedicated 30A, 110V circuit, and if you're going to
add wiring, it makes more sense to go to 220V. Also, the G0586 comes
ith a 220V magnetic starter. You'd need to buy a 110V starter (at least
$70) to even try it.

If wiring and budget are insurmountable constraints, you'd be better
served by getting both a 6" jointer and a 12" planer for about the same
outlay.

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:09:07 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Grizzly gets good reviews here in general although I've never used (or
even seen one) myself...

FWW liked the Grizzly 8" jointer.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Toller

You really want to take a woodworking course to learn what the tools are for
before buying any.

I have a used 6", and while an 8" would be nicer occasionally, I can't say
it is holding me back. I would love the 12" they had in my WW course; and
maybe the 28" sander, and...

TWS

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:00:38 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You really want to take a woodworking course to learn what the tools are for
before buying any.

I have a used 6", and while an 8" would be nicer occasionally, I can't say
it is holding me back. I would love the 12" they had in my WW course; and
maybe the 28" sander, and...

I have to agree with Toller. Take some lessons, figure out what you
want to make and what tools you really need. If you're a newbie you
might be better off spending the same amount of money on a 6 inch
jointer and a thickness planer rather than the 8 inch jointer.

I have the G500 and I love it. I wouldn't even think about rewiring
it for 110V. As someone else pointed out, you'd have to replace the
magnetic starter with a 110 volt unit and then contend with the
voltage drop with the high current load, especially when you're
running 8 inches of hard maple through it, etc... Don't do it.

TWS
Mike Pio

"Shawn" wrote in message
Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers.
I'm considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a
great deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and
I'm unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening
than a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.

FWIW, the latest edition of Popular Woodworking generally "likes" Grizzly
tools and states why they're able to product quality tools at low cost --
they avoid the "middle man" as they put it. I'm not sure how much of a
factor a distributor is, but I'm sure it has something to do with it. I
personally have no experience with Grizzly tools but am ever curious has to
their quality.

If only they had some local showrooms...

Does anyone know if they exhibit at woodworking shows? I plan to attend one
this December in Fort Washington, PA.

-m

Lee Michaels

"Mike Pio" wrote in message

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

They have a showroom in Muncie, Pennsyvania.

http://www.grizzly.com/showroom_pa.aspx

How far is that from you?

B a r r y

Shawn wrote:

Any advice would be helpful.

The current issue of FWW has 8" jointer reviews. One of the Grizzly
models, possibly the G0500 did very well.

Barry
DamnYankee

An awesome showroom too btw! I'm only an hour away and have to make a
visit there for a new saw.....

Bryan

Rich

I just bought a Grizzly 0500 model, I love it. I ordered it on a Sunday
night, by Tuesday morning the trucking company was calling me asking when
they could drop it off. I've ordered from Grizzly over the years and have
always had great results. The jointer does great work and I'd highly
recommend it.
I'd have to echo the comments about running it off 220 vice 110V. (I don't
think the 586 will rewire for 110) I'm military and live in base housing. My
garage is my temporary workshop until I retire next year, so I plug it in to
the dryer outlet. Not the most convenient set up but it works fine for now.
I called Grizzly about the difference between the 0500 and the 0586 units
since the prices are quite different. Their tech guy told me they are very
similar except that the 0500 is made in Taiwan and the 0586 is made in
Communist China. I chose the free world over subsidising the "other
superpower". He said quality control is better in Taiwan than Mainland
China....FWIW.

"Shawn" wrote in message
Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers.
I'm considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a
great deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and
I'm unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening
than a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.

Mike Pio

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

Didn't realize that. I'm in AZ, but have family in the Philly area. How
far a drive is Muncie from Philly?

Lee Michaels

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

I screwed up. It is spelled Muncy.

According to Mapquest, they are located approximately 171 miles from one
another and you can drive it in about three hours.

The other two showrooms are located in Washington and Missouri.

DamnYankee

It's an "easy" drive. Take the Northeast extension to Rt 80, 80 to
180, then take the Lycoming mall exit. Decent sized mall with alot of
other stores thrown in so bring the family. You're only about 15
minutes away from Williamsport and "The Home of Little League World
Series" too. With all that said, the Grizzly showroom is well worth
the drive!

Yes, it is Muncy. You should be punishhed for spellyng bad. :-)

Bryan

Pig

I'll ditto Lee on the fact that visiting the store is very much worth
the time and drive; I'm in central NJ and can do the drive in less than
3 hours. Besides, not far away in Picture Rocks there is Lewis Lumber,
a sawmill and milling operation that is primarily wholesale, but has a
very nice retail operation with a pretty good selection, nice people as
well. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.lewislp.com/Default.htm

Ollie

I live close to Philly and really enjoy to spend my time in Muncy show room.
Next time I will drop by in Lewis Lumber. I did try the given URL, but it
failed. The shorter form

http://www.lewislp.com/

did work for me. My other local favorite lumber source is Hearne Hardwoods
Inc at

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

Cheers, Ollie

PS. I have the G0543 8x75 jointer with spiral head and have been very
pleased for the surface it is producing.

"Pig" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll ditto Lee on the fact that visiting the store is very much worth
the time and drive; I'm in central NJ and can do the drive in less than
3 hours. Besides, not far away in Picture Rocks there is Lewis Lumber,
a sawmill and milling operation that is primarily wholesale, but has a
very nice retail operation with a pretty good selection, nice people as
well. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.lewislp.com/Default.htm

DamnYankee

It's usually ripped in half and then glued back together.

Bryan

Aaron Fleischer

I recently got the Grizzly G1018HW 8" JOINTER W/HANDWHEELS. I had
the same problem with power. I can't wire my garage with 220V without
the condo association up my ass, so I decided to get a 110V switch and
keep the 220V for when I move.

I have used small bench top jointers to large industrial size 16"
jointers, and I love the 8" grizzly. The handwheels are a nice touch
as it makes it real easy to adjust.

I haven't had any power problems with the 110V. I can't run my
compressor, dust collector and jointer at the same time without
popping my surge protector, but that's a small price to pay for an
excellent jointer.

As far as whether you need a planer or not, you do. In my opinion,
the four main machines of any woodworking shop are the table saw,
jointer, planer and band saw.

It's difficult to dimension lumber without one of the four. However
you can get away it without a band saw (for resawwing), but you can
end up planing through alot of useable wood.

Aaron

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:59:51 GMT, "Shawn"
wrote:

Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers. I'm
considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a great
deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and I'm
unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.

Grizzly's main website no longer shows any 8 inch jointers except the
G0586 for $625.00 and the G9859Z for, um, $2,495.00. The 1018 and 0500
are now in Grizzly's Outlet Store. Get 'em while you can.

I bought the 586. About 760 with shipping and a spare set of knives.

The motor wiring box says it can be wired for 120, but 24 amps is a LOT
of amps and the magnetic switch only works with 240. 12 amps is better.
I put in a 20 amp 240 line for it.

Picked it up at the dock last week. Packaging was in good shape. A
little worse for wear but solid and unbroken. Just got it together
because I was waiting for the HTC mobile base for it. Got it fired up
last night. This is the most serious woodworking tool I've ever owned.
I don't care if I sound like a kid with a new bike, this thing is a
bad, BAD boy.

Fit 'n finish was pretty good, especially for Griz. Really good. The
only problem I had was the handwheels for the beds needed their keyways
filed and sanded for the keys to fit. Otherwise it went together like
clockwork. Everything was there, nothing was scratched or dented. They
even provided a couple metric wrenches. The knives were set right, the
tables were coplanar. The 90-degree stop for the fence was a couple
degrees off.

I know the proof is in the using of it, but so far this thing looks
like it's going to be a solid workhorse.

Oh, and one more note: Y'know how on those big mag switches, when you
hit the stop button, it locks down and you can't turn the machine on
till you release the stop button, and THEN the on button works? I
didn't know that.