Rich

Default Grizzly 8" Jointers

I just bought a Grizzly 0500 model, I love it. I ordered it on a Sunday
night, by Tuesday morning the trucking company was calling me asking when
they could drop it off. I've ordered from Grizzly over the years and have
always had great results. The jointer does great work and I'd highly
recommend it.
I'd have to echo the comments about running it off 220 vice 110V. (I don't
think the 586 will rewire for 110) I'm military and live in base housing. My
garage is my temporary workshop until I retire next year, so I plug it in to
the dryer outlet. Not the most convenient set up but it works fine for now.
I called Grizzly about the difference between the 0500 and the 0586 units
since the prices are quite different. Their tech guy told me they are very
similar except that the 0500 is made in Taiwan and the 0586 is made in
Communist China. I chose the free world over subsidising the "other
superpower". He said quality control is better in Taiwan than Mainland
China....FWIW.

"Shawn" wrote in message
Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers.
I'm considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a
great deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and
I'm unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening
than a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.