TWS

Default Grizzly 8" Jointers

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:00:38 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You really want to take a woodworking course to learn what the tools are for
before buying any.

I have a used 6", and while an 8" would be nicer occasionally, I can't say
it is holding me back. I would love the 12" they had in my WW course; and
maybe the 28" sander, and...

I have to agree with Toller. Take some lessons, figure out what you
want to make and what tools you really need. If you're a newbie you
might be better off spending the same amount of money on a 6 inch
jointer and a thickness planer rather than the 8 inch jointer.

I have the G500 and I love it. I wouldn't even think about rewiring
it for 110V. As someone else pointed out, you'd have to replace the
magnetic starter with a 110 volt unit and then contend with the
voltage drop with the high current load, especially when you're
running 8 inches of hard maple through it, etc... Don't do it.

TWS