Creekbuster

Default Grizzly 8" Jointers

I bought a Grizzly 0500 about four months ago and truly enjoy finally getting a
good edge on a board to edge glue up smaller boards into large width ones. If
you are going to have to edge glue boards or if you want boards that are wider
then 8-12" then you will like a joiner. I run mine on 220v so I'm not sure what
the load would be on 110v. It does have a lot of torque when you turn it on so
the lights may dim on 110v. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the
same unit again.
I thought I could avoid a planner if I stayed with lumber from Lowe's for the
next few months also and tried flipping the board over to reduce the thickness
and quickly learned not all lumber you purchase has the same thickness
throughout the board. I had a 3/4" board that was 3/4" on one edge and the other
edge was about 5/8" thick. The joiner just cut a perfect surface on each side
but did nothing to straight out the thickness problem. If your wood is the same
thickness then you maybe able to avoid a planner for a few months but I bought
one the next day after seeing wood is sometimes not the same thickness. They
both work together to give you a board that's ready to build with.

"Shawn" wrote:

Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers. I'm
considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a great
deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer and I'm
unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening than
a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me without
having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.