Mike Pio

Default Grizzly 8" Jointers

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Mike Pio" wrote in message
news:2RZ4f.55736$WR2.33110@fed1read03...

"Shawn" wrote in message
news:XoT4f.25620$p_.14721@trndny05...
Can anyone comment on the performance/quality of Grizzly's 8" jointers.
I'm considering the 0500 or 0586, both are under $700 and appear to be a
great deal. However, this would be my first experience with a jointer
and I'm unclear just how much I can accomplish with this machine.

For instance, can this also serve a planer? I know that if you have any
type of cup in the lumber, this would be a better option for flattening
than a planer.

But taking it a step further, can you flip the board and run it through
again to achieve the desired thickness? ... as you would in a planer.

And finally, how would it run being wired at 110V?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how far this machine will take me
without having to make an additional purchase in a planer.

Any advice would be helpful.

FWIW, the latest edition of Popular Woodworking generally "likes" Grizzly
tools and states why they're able to product quality tools at low cost --
they avoid the "middle man" as they put it. I'm not sure how much of a
factor a distributor is, but I'm sure it has something to do with it. I
personally have no experience with Grizzly tools but am ever curious has
to their quality.

If only they had some local showrooms...

Does anyone know if they exhibit at woodworking shows? I plan to attend
one this December in Fort Washington, PA.

They have a showroom in Muncie, Pennsyvania.

http://www.grizzly.com/showroom_pa.aspx

How far is that from you?

Didn't realize that. I'm in AZ, but have family in the Philly area. How
far a drive is Muncie from Philly?