Gary

Default FU Aniline Dye - was Anoline Dye Disaster

Hi all,
Just a follow up on my previous Ano(i)line Dye Disaster post.

Thanks to the always excellent advice from the Wreck, the project is not a
complete disaster anymore. I was able to rework the dye job and this time
it came out pretty good. As recommended, I ordered Bob Flexiner's book on
Understanding Finishes. This is a very nicely presented, informative book.
In it said that dyes can be removed by using bleach, as someone had
recommended here. I got me a spray bottle and filled it with plain old
Clorox. I took the pieces outside (to minimize toxic fumes as someone
warned) and started spraying. What a miracle. The dye just magically
disappeared. The wood was a bit yellow and I did raise the grain a bit but
considering the mess I started with, it looked great. Next after sanding
everything again, I thinned the dye in half; 2 quarts water to 1 ounce dye
(somehow I thought I had read originally 1 quart water to one ounce dye).
I used a rag instead of a sponge brush. The results were much much better.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their encouraging recommendations for
this very frustrating project.

Gary in Virginia

WillR

Gary wrote:
Hi all,
Just a follow up on my previous Ano(i)line Dye Disaster post.
=20
Thanks to the always excellent advice from the Wreck, the project is no=

t a=20
complete disaster anymore. I was able to rework the dye job and this t=

ime=20
it came out pretty good. As recommended, I ordered Bob Flexiner's book=

on=20
Understanding Finishes. This is a very nicely presented, informative b=

ook.=20
In it said that dyes can be removed by using bleach, as someone had=20
recommended here. I got me a spray bottle and filled it with plain old=

=20
Clorox. I took the pieces outside (to minimize toxic fumes as someone =

warned) and started spraying. What a miracle. The dye just magically =

disappeared. The wood was a bit yellow and I did raise the grain a bit=

but=20
considering the mess I started with, it looked great. Next after sandi=

ng=20
everything again, I thinned the dye in half; 2 quarts water to 1 ounce =

dye=20
(somehow I thought I had read originally 1 quart water to one ounce dye=

).=20
I used a rag instead of a sponge brush. The results were much much bet=

ter.
=20
Thanks to everyone who contributed their encouraging recommendations fo=

r=20
this very frustrating project.
=20
Gary in Virginia
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20

Whew -- fooled them again -- as we used to say.

Glad it worked out.

Read that book from cover to cover -- a few times -- then do a bit more=20
research. It will save many projects...

I have been using aniline dye with oak, cherry and pine -- so far so good=
=2E

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:02:15 -0500, the blithe spirit Australopithecus
scobis clearly indicated:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:04:21 -0400, WillR wrote:

Read that book from cover to cover -- a few times -- then do a bit more
research. It will save many projects...

Flexner fans take note: he's done a new edition, published 2005. I read
the library's copy of the first edition, cover to cover, several times.
Finally bought my own copy this week.

I pray he doesn't reuse the old pictures. Gawd, what photography in
the old one...

"Now entering freeway, which is already in progress..."

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:02:15 -0500, the blithe spirit Australopithecus
scobis clearly indicated:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:04:21 -0400, WillR wrote:

Read that book from cover to cover -- a few times -- then do a bit more
research. It will save many projects...

Flexner fans take note: he's done a new edition, published 2005. I read
the library's copy of the first edition, cover to cover, several times.
Finally bought my own copy this week.

I pray he doesn't reuse the old pictures. Gawd, what photography in
the old one...

"Now entering freeway, which is already in progress..."

The new one is rather nicely done - quite professionally. And a bargain at
the $20 or so cover price.

It's saved me that in screwups already, and I own and have read a few other
finishing books.

Patriarch,
cleaning out the shop this week, and taking yellow cans to the recycling
center...
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:17:40 -0500, the blithe spirit Patriarch
clearly indicated:

Flexner's finishing book
The new one is rather nicely done - quite professionally. And a bargain at
the $20 or so cover price.

It's saved me that in screwups already, and I own and have read a few other
finishing books.

That's good. My favorite (by a margin of 3:1) has always been Jeff
Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes.", then Flexner, then Dresdner.

cleaning out the shop this week, and taking yellow cans to the recycling
center...

I need to do a cleanup before any more projects, too.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

WillR

Patriarch wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in=20
:
=20
=20
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:02:15 -0500, the blithe spirit Australopithecus
scobis clearly indicated:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:04:21 -0400, WillR wrote:

Read that book from cover to cover -- a few times -- then do a bit mo=

re
research. It will save many projects...

Flexner fans take note: he's done a new edition, published 2005. I rea=

the library's copy of the first edition, cover to cover, several times=

=2E
Finally bought my own copy this week.=20

I pray he doesn't reuse the old pictures. Gawd, what photography in
the old one...

"Now entering freeway, which is already in progress..."

=20
=20
The new one is rather nicely done - quite professionally. And a bargai=

n at=20
the $20 or so cover price.
=20
It's saved me that in screwups already, and I own and have read a few o=

ther=20
finishing books.

had a look at Lee Valley this noon. Think it is worth the money. I was =

going to get it -- but I thought an excuse to visit next week or this=20
weekend and I can get more...

Lee Valley -- Toys for boys with grey beards...

=20
Patriarch,
cleaning out the shop this week, and taking yellow cans to the recyclin=

g=20
center...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
David

WillR wrote:

Lee Valley -- Toys for boys with grey beards...

Patriarch,
cleaning out the shop this week, and taking yellow cans to the
recycling center...

or clean shaven...

Dave

Anoline Dye Disaster Gary Woodworking 36 August 12th 05 09:21 AM
O/T: BBC "Disaster masters" s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 18 July 29th 05 02:57 PM
DIY disaster pictures wanted David UK diy 46 February 25th 05 02:02 PM
Mold Disaster hvsteve Home Repair 34 January 9th 05 08:34 PM
Disaster Gunner Metalworking 69 October 22nd 03 01:18 PM