Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary

Default FU Aniline Dye - was Anoline Dye Disaster

Hi all,
Just a follow up on my previous Ano(i)line Dye Disaster post.

Thanks to the always excellent advice from the Wreck, the project is not a
complete disaster anymore. I was able to rework the dye job and this time
it came out pretty good. As recommended, I ordered Bob Flexiner's book on
Understanding Finishes. This is a very nicely presented, informative book.
In it said that dyes can be removed by using bleach, as someone had
recommended here. I got me a spray bottle and filled it with plain old
Clorox. I took the pieces outside (to minimize toxic fumes as someone
warned) and started spraying. What a miracle. The dye just magically
disappeared. The wood was a bit yellow and I did raise the grain a bit but
considering the mess I started with, it looked great. Next after sanding
everything again, I thinned the dye in half; 2 quarts water to 1 ounce dye
(somehow I thought I had read originally 1 quart water to one ounce dye).
I used a rag instead of a sponge brush. The results were much much better.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their encouraging recommendations for
this very frustrating project.

Gary in Virginia

Anoline Dye Disaster Gary Woodworking 36 August 12th 05 09:21 AM
O/T: BBC "Disaster masters" s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 18 July 29th 05 02:57 PM
DIY disaster pictures wanted David UK diy 46 February 25th 05 02:02 PM
Mold Disaster hvsteve Home Repair 34 January 9th 05 08:34 PM
Disaster Gunner Metalworking 69 October 22nd 03 01:18 PM