WillR

Gary wrote:
Hi all,
Just a follow up on my previous Ano(i)line Dye Disaster post.
=20
Thanks to the always excellent advice from the Wreck, the project is no=

t a=20
complete disaster anymore. I was able to rework the dye job and this t=

ime=20
it came out pretty good. As recommended, I ordered Bob Flexiner's book=

on=20
Understanding Finishes. This is a very nicely presented, informative b=

ook.=20
In it said that dyes can be removed by using bleach, as someone had=20
recommended here. I got me a spray bottle and filled it with plain old=

=20
Clorox. I took the pieces outside (to minimize toxic fumes as someone =

warned) and started spraying. What a miracle. The dye just magically =

disappeared. The wood was a bit yellow and I did raise the grain a bit=

but=20
considering the mess I started with, it looked great. Next after sandi=

ng=20
everything again, I thinned the dye in half; 2 quarts water to 1 ounce =

dye=20
(somehow I thought I had read originally 1 quart water to one ounce dye=

).=20
I used a rag instead of a sponge brush. The results were much much bet=

ter.
=20
Thanks to everyone who contributed their encouraging recommendations fo=

r=20
this very frustrating project.
=20
Gary in Virginia
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20

Whew -- fooled them again -- as we used to say.

Glad it worked out.

Read that book from cover to cover -- a few times -- then do a bit more=20
research. It will save many projects...

I have been using aniline dye with oak, cherry and pine -- so far so good=
=2E

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw