s--p--o--n--i--x

Default O/T: BBC "Disaster masters"

Has anyone seen this? Is that bloke a real plumber?

T'other week he replaced a cracked trap under the sink with about
fifty squillion pipe fittings, all in different colours. Even then it
took him all day because he wanted a reducer (Doesn't he know B&Q have
these??)

This week I only caught the end of the programme but he made a very
ugly hole through some very expensive tiles in order to get an
overflow pipe to drain into the bath. What was going on there?

sponix
Franko

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
Has anyone seen this? Is that bloke a real plumber?

T'other week he replaced a cracked trap under the sink with about
fifty squillion pipe fittings, all in different colours. Even then it
took him all day because he wanted a reducer (Doesn't he know B&Q have
these??)

This week I only caught the end of the programme but he made a very
ugly hole through some very expensive tiles in order to get an
overflow pipe to drain into the bath. What was going on there?

sponix

To make this last botch even more absurd - the lady owner of the house liked
his 'overflow' so much, she actually CHOSE to keep it !
Franko.

AlexW

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
Has anyone seen this? Is that bloke a real plumber?

T'other week he replaced a cracked trap under the sink with about
fifty squillion pipe fittings, all in different colours. Even then it
took him all day because he wanted a reducer (Doesn't he know B&Q have
these??)

This week I only caught the end of the programme but he made a very
ugly hole through some very expensive tiles in order to get an
overflow pipe to drain into the bath. What was going on there?

sponix

The overflow was not from the bath but rather from the DHW system I
beleive (missus told me this as I missed that bit).

One assumes he fixed the constant overflow too?

Apparently, the "fix" was an emergency measure until it could properly
sorted.

I am not really sure if this was the only "quick" option, but I guess
the implication is so. Being an emergency plumber you would expect him
to carry plenty of fittings etc to be able to lash something a bit more
elegant up.

He seemed rather attached to his big SDS drill, so maybe that was the
deciding factor on approach.

All seemed a bit odd to me too!

Alex.

Franko

"AlexW" wrote in message
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
Has anyone seen this? Is that bloke a real plumber?

T'other week he replaced a cracked trap under the sink with about
fifty squillion pipe fittings, all in different colours. Even then it
took him all day because he wanted a reducer (Doesn't he know B&Q have
these??)

This week I only caught the end of the programme but he made a very
ugly hole through some very expensive tiles in order to get an
overflow pipe to drain into the bath. What was going on there?

sponix

The overflow was not from the bath but rather from the DHW system I
beleive (missus told me this as I missed that bit).

One assumes he fixed the constant overflow too?

Apparently, the "fix" was an emergency measure until it could properly
sorted.

(snip)

It was allegedly a temporary measure but the tenant decided to keep the
botch up overflow draining over the edge of the bath, next she'll be moaning
that there are stains down the side of her bath.
I would have thought it would have been a bit easier to establish why the
water was overflowing in the first place!

Franko.

:::Jerry::::

"Franko" wrote in message

snip

It was allegedly a temporary measure but the tenant decided to

keep the
botch up overflow draining over the edge of the bath, next she'll

be moaning
that there are stains down the side of her bath.
I would have thought it would have been a bit easier to establish

why the
water was overflowing in the first place!

Yes, but then that would not make 'good' TV...

Who remembers the days when TV programmes were made by experts in the
subject and not brainless media students on WE ?!... :~(

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:47:49 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

brainless media students on WE ?!... :~(

Those "brainless meeja students" aren't on work experience, they're on
twice what you and I make put together 8-(

Mark

:::Jerry:::: wrote in message

snip

It was allegedly a temporary measure

snip
Who remembers the days when TV programmes were made by experts in the
subject and not brainless media students on WE ?!... :~(

Well they did get the name correct, that plumber is definitely a Master of
Disaster

raden

In message , Mark
writes

:::Jerry:::: wrote in message

snip

It was allegedly a temporary measure

snip
Who remembers the days when TV programmes were made by experts in the
subject and not brainless media students on WE ?!... :~(

Well they did get the name correct, that plumber is definitely a Master of
Disaster

It's Drivel, isn't it

--
geoff
Mark

raden wrote in message

snip

It was allegedly a temporary measure

snip
Who remembers the days when TV programmes were made by experts in the
subject and not brainless media students on WE ?!... :~(

Well they did get the name correct, that plumber is definitely a Master

of
Disaster

It's Drivel, isn't it

The program certainly is
But a Drivel was probably the original cowboy plastic pipe plumber
What really amazes me is the astronomical price that insurance companies pay
out for emergency repairs by some of the most incompetent tradesmen I have
ever seen.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:55:07 +0100, AlexW
wrote:

The overflow was not from the bath but rather from the DHW system I
beleive (missus told me this as I missed that bit).

One assumes he fixed the constant overflow too?

Apparently, the "fix" was an emergency measure until it could properly
sorted.

I thought about that but wondered why he didn't just fix the problem
that was causing the overflow?

With regards to the pipe surely it would have been simple to connect
it into the pipe under the bath?

Maybe the only reason the tenant decided to keep the "fix" was because
the tiles would have cost too much to replace? Anyway, I wouldn't like
something like that draining into my bath. Imagine of you leave the
plug in, go on holiday and the overflow gets blocked!

sponix

:::Jerry::::

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
snip

Maybe the only reason the tenant decided to keep the "fix" was

because
the tiles would have cost too much to replace? Anyway, I wouldn't

like
something like that draining into my bath. Imagine of you leave the
plug in, go on holiday and the overflow gets blocked!

Imagine going on holiday and a pipe bursting or joint failing, or any
number of other things that *could* happen - best you never leave
your home for more than an hour or so.....

AlexW

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message

snip/

Imagine going on holiday and a pipe bursting or joint failing, or any
number of other things that *could* happen - best you never leave
your home for more than an hour or so.....

Yes this program worried me in that respect.

Especially when there was a suggestion that the insurance would not
cover faulty workmanship, assuming it might not cover faulty materials
either the only thing that is left is accidents/stupudity!

Alex.
:::Jerry::::

"AlexW" wrote in message
snip

Especially when there was a suggestion that the insurance would not
cover faulty workmanship, assuming it might not cover faulty

materials
either the only thing that is left is accidents/stupudity!

There is never an automatic payout with insurance, if the loss
adjuster, or who ever, can find an excuse to either reduce or stop
payment they will do so - insurance companies are in business NOT to
pay out if at all possible, that is how they make their profits.

Christian McArdle

The overflow was not from the bath but rather from the DHW system I
beleive (missus told me this as I missed that bit).

That's nice and safe. So when the system blows, anyone in the bath gets
blasted with boiling water and steam?

Christian.

John

When is this programme on, I cannot find it in my TV listings paper?

Cheers

John

Suz

When is this programme on, I cannot find it in my TV listings paper?

Cheers

John

Monday 01 August
8:30pm - 9:00pm
BBC1

Bob Eager

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:15:54 UTC, "John"
wrote:

When is this programme on, I cannot find it in my TV listings paper?

Worth using:

http://www.radiotimes.co.uk

AlexW

Christian McArdle wrote:
The overflow was not from the bath but rather from the DHW system I
beleive (missus told me this as I missed that bit).

That's nice and safe. So when the system blows, anyone in the bath gets
blasted with boiling water and steam?

Christian.

Think it was from the header tank or something, not the cylinder
oflow/vent pipe etc ... relying on 2nd hand info here...

Alex.
Christian McArdle

Think it was from the header tank or something, not the cylinder
oflow/vent pipe etc ... relying on 2nd hand info here...

Even a header tank can be full of boiling water when a boiler goes a bit
funny.

Christian.

Mold Disaster hvsteve Home Repair 34 January 9th 05 08:34 PM
Discovery trailer electrics, disaster. Blair Malcolm UK diy 13 December 17th 04 03:17 PM
3 way switch disaster (long but interesting) RB Home Repair 8 July 23rd 04 02:18 PM
Water disaster (long) John Davies Home Ownership 12 November 3rd 03 12:58 AM
Disaster Gunner Metalworking 69 October 22nd 03 01:18 PM