AL

Default Killed while cutting down neighbor's tree

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

Juergen Hannappel

"AL" writes:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight
years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down
onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell
over for the first time? Not very credible.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
John B

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
"AL" writes:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight
years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down
onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell
over for the first time? Not very credible.

I thought the same thing when I first read the story. But given that a
journalist wrote it (and we all know that they're not very bright)
perhaps just a limb broke of earlier. I usually take what I read in News
papers and hear reported on TV with a pinch of salt. As for the ability
of journalists, as case in point was when the bombings occurred in
England and a TV news reader asked the Minister for Railways(or similar)
I can't recall his exact title, "If the underground was safe to travel
on". **** how would he know ?? 5 minutes before the bombing he would
have said yes. 5 minutes after their might never be another bomb. This
was while there where still conflicting stories regarding the the number
of explosions. DUH.
Oh well my spleen is now empty
All the best
John
A tragic story.
Guess who

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:59:35 GMT, John B
wrote:

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
"AL" writes:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight
years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down
onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell
over for the first time? Not very credible.

I thought the same thing when I first read the story. But given that a
journalist wrote it (and we all know that they're not very bright)
perhaps just a limb broke of earlier. I usually take what I read in News
papers and hear reported on TV with a pinch of salt.

They got their start here.

Prometheus

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know
that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like
that. Kind of trivialises the guys death when the last half of the
article is about the real estate history of the house. Would've made
more sense to me if they'd have finished up with a bit about chainsaw
saftey, maybe a few words from the EMT/Firemen on the scene about how
people can prevent these things. Who cares when they bought and sold
the house, or whether or not there was a fire there many years ago?

Markem

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:31:42 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know
that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like
that.

The Daily Herald is very consistent at least, I have seen poor
reporting in it for years on end. Being a small paper in the Chicago
market which gives away more than half of it subscriptions what do you
expect? They pay lousy and over charge for advertising IMO.

Mark
Unquestionably Confused

Markem wrote:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know
that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like
that.

The Daily Herald is very consistent at least, I have seen poor
reporting in it for years on end. Being a small paper in the Chicago
market which gives away more than half of it subscriptions what do you
expect? They pay lousy and over charge for advertising IMO.

Par for the course for these small papers. Not only the Daily Herald
but the Northwest Herald (different publisher, farther NW burbs):

The joke I like is: "Before the Herald (take your pick) we didn't have
a daily paper fit to wrap garbage in. Now we do!"

CW

Compare that to the big news guys that over sensationalize everything and
they all seem to think that it is their moral obligation to shape social
views by selective reporting. Most news these days could more accurately be
termed as fiction based on a true story.

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
Markem wrote:
Par for the course for these small papers. Not only the Daily Herald
but the Northwest Herald (different publisher, farther NW burbs):

The joke I like is: "Before the Herald (take your pick) we didn't have
a daily paper fit to wrap garbage in. Now we do!"

Markem

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:09:16 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Compare that to the big news guys that over sensationalize everything and
they all seem to think that it is their moral obligation to shape social
views by selective reporting. Most news these days could more accurately be
termed as fiction based on a true story.

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
.. .
Markem wrote:
Par for the course for these small papers. Not only the Daily Herald
but the Northwest Herald (different publisher, farther NW burbs):

The joke I like is: "Before the Herald (take your pick) we didn't have
a daily paper fit to wrap garbage in. Now we do!"

Well you could not label the TV news "a reality show" it would really
confuse the viewers.

Mark
Tom Watson

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.

The writer, or the editor.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Lee Michaels

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.

The writer, or the editor.

Both!

Not to mention our two amatuer lumberjacks.

Charlie Self

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.

The writer, or the editor.

Both!

Not to mention our two amatuer lumberjacks.

Who tried to "chop" down a tree with a chainsaw. Incredibly inept
writing. Almost as bad as a novel I just finished. I'm still scratching
my head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story,
and the novel.

Tom Watson

On 31 Jul 2005 14:53:07 -0700, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

Who tried to "chop" down a tree with a chainsaw. Incredibly inept
writing. Almost as bad as a novel I just finished. I'm still scratching
my head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story,
and the novel.

Man, you just hit a real sore spot.

I just finished "reading" a "novel" by some knucklehead, called "The
Romanov something or other".

I can't remember his name, and if I had remembered his name from when
I "read", "The Amber Room", I would never have bought the stupid piece
of crap in the first place.

I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months
that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my
CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap
Comix.

If I have gotten so bored that I actually wonder when the next Dan
Brown (decent plotter - really bad writer) comes out - it is time to
rethink my book pile.

I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed
it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.

I'm pretty damned tired of reading doctors and lawyers who also write.

Where the hell are the writers?

I reckon that everyone with an ounce of talent and a lick of sense is
writing screenplays.

Damned shame.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Unquestionably Confused

Tom Watson wrote:

If I have gotten so bored that I actually wonder when the next Dan

Brown (decent plotter - really bad writer) comes out - it is time to
rethink my book pile.

I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed
it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.

So how was it? Waiting to finish the latest John Sandford -"prey"
series book" before picking up a copy.

I'm pretty damned tired of reading doctors and lawyers who also write.

The name escapes me at the moment but there's one author out there who
actually tells you, right in the post script to his books that if you're
thinking about writing him with ideas for a book, corrections, etc.
don't bother he doesn't read them and would ignore them if he did.

This from a guy who repeatedly discusses "putting a clip in" the
revolver and "flicking off the safety." His books were pretty good
but... screw him

Where the hell are the writers?

Sitting in the sun on some Caribbean island enjoying their profits.

Tom Watson

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:29:09 GMT, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed
it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.

So how was it? Waiting to finish the latest John Sandford -"prey"
series book" before picking up a copy.

It was cool, but it was Burke/Robicheaux, without Baptiste.

I like B/R better than B/Texas Ranger Dude, but I really need a
Baptiste fix.

And Burke could use a jolt of S King's loquaciousness - the books is
good - but too short.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know
that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like
that. Kind of trivialises the guys death when the last half of the
article is about the real estate history of the house. Would've made
more sense to me if they'd have finished up with a bit about chainsaw
saftey, maybe a few words from the EMT/Firemen on the scene about how
people can prevent these things. Who cares when they bought and sold
the house, or whether or not there was a fire there many years ago?

Also particularly liked the statement, "... neither of the two were
associated with a professional tree removal service ..." My cynical self
sees reporter implying, "... only licensed professionals should be allowed
to own or use chain saws ... "

Frankly, I'm not sure that putting words in by the EMT/Firemen with a
"safety moment" would really have been all that much of an improvement
because the only thing you would get in these litigious days would be a
statement to the effect, "only professionals should attempt to remove
trees" rather than something useful like, "while it is best that people use
professionals for these operations, those undertaking such operations
should do such and such to assure that the work they are doing is safe..."

Mark & Juanita

On 31 Jul 2005 14:53:07 -0700, "Charlie Self" wrote:

.... snip

Who tried to "chop" down a tree with a chainsaw. Incredibly inept
writing. Almost as bad as a novel I just finished. I'm still scratching
my head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story,
and the novel.

just to pick a nit with the nit you are picking, shouldn't that read,
"I'm still scratchingmy head, trying to figure out why I read either one,
the above story, OR the novel"?

Unquestionably Confused

Tom Watson wrote:

It was cool, but it was Burke/Robicheaux, without Baptiste.

Sounds like it's worth a shot even though it's a departure from the norm.

I like B/R better than B/Texas Ranger Dude, but I really need a
Baptiste fix.

Never read the others. Looked at the novel's description and felt time
spent with Fine Woodworking (just to keep this somewhat on topic) would
be better spend.g

And Burke could use a jolt of S King's loquaciousness - the books is
good - but too short.

Nah, not his style. Seems to tell you "just enough" to paint the scene
but not bore you.

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:15:08 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Man, you just hit a real sore spot.

I just finished "reading" a "novel" by some knucklehead, called "The
Romanov something or other".

I can't remember his name, and if I had remembered his name from when
I "read", "The Amber Room", I would never have bought the stupid piece
of crap in the first place.

I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months
that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my
CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap
Comix.

I haven't bought a new book in years - instead I go to the library and
check out a big stack of randomly selected stuff. I have finally
reached the point where I can read the first chapter or so and just
walk away from the book it it's too bad. Usually out of every dozen or
so books I will find a couple that are at least worth reading to the
end.

If I have gotten so bored that I actually wonder when the next Dan
Brown (decent plotter - really bad writer) comes out - it is time to
rethink my book pile.

I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed
it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.

I'm pretty damned tired of reading doctors and lawyers who also write.

Where the hell are the writers?

Out flipping burgers. Junk sells, good writing doesn't.

I reckon that everyone with an ounce of talent and a lick of sense is
writing screenplays.

Look at the recent crops of TV shows and movies and you can tell that
isn't where they are either!

Damned shame.

Amen to that.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Sam

Lee Michaels wrote:

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.

The writer, or the editor.

Both!

Not to mention our two amatuer lumberjacks.

What would you suggest for the dead one?

Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months
that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my
CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap
Comix.

snip

Where the hell are the writers?

What took you so long? (Look no further than the 'oldies' music in today's
commercials to know that the imagination necessary for creativie writing has
basically been sucked ouf of the culture via visual stimulation of one sort
or another.)

From college to 1996 my reading-for-pleasure book budget was rarely less
than $200/mo. For the past nine years I have read _nothing_ but 19th century
English Literature ...from Austen, to the Bronte's, to Dickens, to Scott,
Yonge, Trollope, Haggard, Gaskell, Elliot, Crane, Collins, Galsworthy, et al
.... there is enough _excellent_ literature from that period to fuel a
lifetime of pleasurable, intelligent, and *topical reading. (*nothing in
human nature has changed, including the preponderance of ignorance).

..... and (OBWW) all that money can now be spent on tools and material.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05

LRod

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:15:08 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

[snipped the sorry state of modern writing]

When I worked for the government I constantly blanched at the output
of the agency for which I worked. Generally, the manuals and
directives were well done (made me wonder who was doing the copy
checking), but internal memos and notices sometimes bordered on the
absurd. And that does not take into account rampant verbification.

If you want to read some writing far above almost anyone from the 20th
Century (and I can't think who would be better) try Patrick O'Brian
(his Aubrey-Maturin canon). If you have read it, read it again.

In all fairness, the first ten were better than the last ten by a bit.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Fly-by-Night CC

In article , "AL"
wrote:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

"Tomasz Jandura and another man were, as a favor to a 47-year-old woman,
using a chain saw to chop down a tree in her backyard... "

I think if I were trying to chop down a tree with a chain saw I'd
certainly wish I was dead.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:32:29 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

In article , "AL"
wrote:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

"Tomasz Jandura and another man were, as a favor to a 47-year-old woman,
using a chain saw to chop down a tree in her backyard... "

I think if I were trying to chop down a tree with a chain saw I'd
certainly wish I was dead.

That old joke with the punch line, "What's that noise, what's that
noise?"

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:13:20 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson
clearly wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.

The writer, or the editor.

Yeah, the chainsawyer's line of work has already changed.

--
Our ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouch Samples now available!
Never misplace your portable power tool accessories again!
DL

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:29:48 +0200, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

"AL" writes:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight
years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down
onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell
over for the first time? Not very credible.

Note that all of those involved were/are of the Polish persuasion.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

"Are the Oompa Loompas the synchronized swimmers?"
- Ruby Tuesday on alt.culture.us.70s

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!
Prometheus

wrote:

Man, you just hit a real sore spot.

Snip

I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months
that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my
CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap
Comix.

I can sypathize with that one. Not all that big on Dickens myself,
but if you're into Fitzgerald and Steinbeck, you might want to (and
probably already have, but everone misses things from time to time)
check out Hesse, Camus, Maupassant and Dovtoyeski. All masters of
character study in broader social contexts. Oddly enough, Phillip K.
Dick is not too bad, either- provided you can look past the borderline
insanity of his plotlines. There's plenty to read, it just takes a
lot of head banging to winnow out the wheat from the chaff.

Where the hell are the writers?

Literature doesn't pay, and everyone is out to make a buck. You've
got to remember that the publishing houses are playing to the
lowest-common denominator just like everyone else. If they can sell a
million copies of yet another Grisham novel about a lawyer who does
something bad, why bother with printing twenty thousand copies of
something that most twits won't understand, and is just going to end
up on the bargin rack? Odds are there are a handful or two of
fantastic wordsmiths' manuscripts moldering under the newest Harry
Potter book.

I reckon that everyone with an ounce of talent and a lick of sense is
writing screenplays.

Don't watch many movies, I take it? I'd hardly call most of that
shlock "quality"... Though the special effects are pretty impressive
these days.

Damned shame.

It is, but we do what we can, right? Ever get that feeling that
you're one of those fellas in Farenheit 451 that have to memorize
books and keep quiet about it to prevent the firemen from burning you?
It gets tiring seeing blank faces all the time.

Sniffer

wrote:

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
"AL" writes:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight
years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down
onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell
over for the first time? Not very credible.

I thought the same thing when I first read the story. But given that a
journalist wrote it (and we all know that they're not very bright)
perhaps just a limb broke of earlier. I usually take what I read in News
papers and hear reported on TV with a pinch of salt. As for the ability
of journalists, as case in point was ...

I swear this is true. Years back when the Shuttle first launched it's
then new Canadian Arm an Info Babe from CNN or one of the big three
was there to cover the flight by doing an interview of an engineer.
It was immediately obvious that she had not a clue and her fellow
reporters had told her a good question to ask was, "There is some fear
the Shuttle won't be able to achieve orbit because the arm is to
heavy, is that true?"

The guy stiffled a laugh, barely.

LRod wrote:

And that does not take into account rampant verbification.

Is 'verbification' an example of 'nounification'?

Isn't there a Latin word for both? If so, does thi snot absurdly
imply that Latin terms are proper English?

--

FF

Sniffer wrote:

I swear this is true. Years back when the Shuttle first launched it's
then new Canadian Arm an Info Babe from CNN or one of the big three
was there to cover the flight by doing an interview of an engineer.
It was immediately obvious that she had not a clue and her fellow
reporters had told her a good question to ask was, "There is some fear
the Shuttle won't be able to achieve orbit because the arm is to
heavy, is that true?"

The guy stiffled a laugh, barely.

Back when NASA still provided a feed of the communications between
ground control and the shuttle crew to the networks I was watching
a launch with some taling head, might have been Dan Rather, and
a Nasa guy providing commentary. Mercifully, they said very little
so we could hear as the chuttle crew noted a high temperature on
their #3 APU and after verifying tha tground control saw the same
thing, received the OK to shut it down. At the time, this had
been a chronic and well publicised problem. IMMEDIATLEY after
ground control told the crew to go ahead and shut down the
overheated unit the talking head guy remarked to the NASA
guy, "Well, it sounds like everything is going OK."

--

FF

Tom Watson

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 06:25:24 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Gerunding.

No, I think that Gerunds are those little animals that run in packs
and jump off cliffs.

Robert Bonomi

wrote:

Gerunding.

No, I think that Gerunds are those little animals that run in packs
and jump off cliffs.

Lemons, you mean, don't you?

Like what St. Nick uses to pull his sleigh -- those eight little rind-deer.

Robert Bonomi

In article . com,
wrote:

LRod wrote:

And that does not take into account rampant verbification.

Is 'verbification' an example of 'nounification'?

Isn't there a Latin word for both? If so, does thi snot absurdly
imply that Latin terms are proper English?

There is the part-of-speech called the 'gerund'. Created, in English, by
taking a verb, adding the 'ing' suffix, and using it as a noun.

AFAIK, going the other way is known as "to verbify", an appropriatly ugly
term..

The real problem comes when those 're-colonize the inner city' types try
to 'modify' that created abomination back into a noun form. This is
frequently referred to, disparagingly, as "verb-on gerundification."

*groan*
Dave in Fairfax

Tom Watson wrote:
No, I think that Gerunds are those little animals that run in packs
and jump off cliffs.

Nah, the BIG ones are Gerunds, the little ones are Gerundives. It's the
students that jump off the cliffs.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work