Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:31:42 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:33:55 -0500, "AL" wrote:

Events like this always get to me:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=78766

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know
that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like
that. Kind of trivialises the guys death when the last half of the
article is about the real estate history of the house. Would've made
more sense to me if they'd have finished up with a bit about chainsaw
saftey, maybe a few words from the EMT/Firemen on the scene about how
people can prevent these things. Who cares when they bought and sold
the house, or whether or not there was a fire there many years ago?

Also particularly liked the statement, "... neither of the two were
associated with a professional tree removal service ..." My cynical self
sees reporter implying, "... only licensed professionals should be allowed
to own or use chain saws ... "

Frankly, I'm not sure that putting words in by the EMT/Firemen with a
"safety moment" would really have been all that much of an improvement
because the only thing you would get in these litigious days would be a
statement to the effect, "only professionals should attempt to remove
trees" rather than something useful like, "while it is best that people use
professionals for these operations, those undertaking such operations
should do such and such to assure that the work they are doing is safe..."