Tim Douglass

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:15:08 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Man, you just hit a real sore spot.

I just finished "reading" a "novel" by some knucklehead, called "The
Romanov something or other".

I can't remember his name, and if I had remembered his name from when
I "read", "The Amber Room", I would never have bought the stupid piece
of crap in the first place.

I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months
that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my
CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap
Comix.

I haven't bought a new book in years - instead I go to the library and
check out a big stack of randomly selected stuff. I have finally
reached the point where I can read the first chapter or so and just
walk away from the book it it's too bad. Usually out of every dozen or
so books I will find a couple that are at least worth reading to the
end.

If I have gotten so bored that I actually wonder when the next Dan
Brown (decent plotter - really bad writer) comes out - it is time to
rethink my book pile.

I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed
it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.

I'm pretty damned tired of reading doctors and lawyers who also write.

Where the hell are the writers?

Out flipping burgers. Junk sells, good writing doesn't.

I reckon that everyone with an ounce of talent and a lick of sense is
writing screenplays.

Look at the recent crops of TV shows and movies and you can tell that
isn't where they are either!

Damned shame.

Amen to that.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com