Odinn

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:18:13 -0400, Odinn wrote:

Patriarch wrote:

Odinn wrote in :

snip

I'm trying to get my own collection going. I'm off to Chesapeake VA
to my Father-in-law's house for Memorial Day weekend to cut up some
maples and other trees and have milled. I know there are at least 4
trees, and the smallest one is about 20" in diameter. Milling it all
up and hauling back as much as my pickemup will hold, stacking the
rest of it to pick up at some later time.

18 months ago, some friends & I did a 9' Western Red Cedar, 2" slabs, for a
Boy Scout project. The weight was quite surprising. I drove two miles
very carefully with that load.

As my trucking friends would say: "You'll likely gross out before you cube
out."

Maybe consider a trailer of some sort?

I'll be pulling my 6x10 5000lb trailer as well. My Dodge Ram 1500 has
pulled a 10,000 lb load with no problem many times, so I'm pretty sure
I'll be able to haul a good bit of it. I don't expect to be able to
stack the bed that full (besides, the wife needs some space left in the
back to put her 2 huge suitcases for the weekend).

if she packs like my wife does, that will be heavier than the lumber..

Yup, that's my fear. I just found out the amount and size of trees I'm
going to be milling, and there is NO WAY I can haul it all in one shot.

3 trees 10" diameter, ~30 ft
3 trees 12" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 14" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 16" diameter, ~50 ft

Good thing my FIL has a large garage/shed (40x40) so I can stack a lot
of this away for a trip later on. Now I need to find someone with a
kiln, since I'm in the middle of some landscaping and don't have a place
to build my own yet.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Dave in Fairfax

Odinn wrote:
Yup, that's my fear. I just found out the amount and size of trees I'm
going to be milling, and there is NO WAY I can haul it all in one shot.

3 trees 10" diameter, ~30 ft
3 trees 12" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 14" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 16" diameter, ~50 ft

Good thing my FIL has a large garage/shed (40x40) so I can stack a lot
of this away for a trip later on. Now I need to find someone with a
kiln, since I'm in the middle of some landscaping and don't have a place
to build my own yet.

You don't *have* to have a kiln, sitcker and air-dry the wood.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Patriarch

Odinn wrote in :

snip
Yup, that's my fear. I just found out the amount and size of trees
I'm going to be milling, and there is NO WAY I can haul it all in one
shot.

3 trees 10" diameter, ~30 ft
3 trees 12" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 14" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 16" diameter, ~50 ft

Good thing my FIL has a large garage/shed (40x40) so I can stack a lot
of this away for a trip later on. Now I need to find someone with a
kiln, since I'm in the middle of some landscaping and don't have a
place to build my own yet.

The longer you can leave it stacked, stickered and properly ventilated, the
less weight you have to manage, handle and transport.

There's a fellow hangs out here who's often pointing folks to the USFS wood
site, for solid info on drying various species. My guess is that George
will be around soon. I don't have it bookmarked, but he does. Otherwise,
a Google search will show it.

When you are paying $2.50/gal for fuel, you want to haul as little water as
practical.

Patriarch
Old Nick

On 16 May 2005 11:51:29 -0700, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

But they HAD to do that to counteract the falloing birthrate / new
market appearances.

As life expectancy rises, product life falls. Just think of the extra
profits!

Charlie Self

wrote:

But they HAD to do that to counteract the falloing birthrate / new
market appearances.

As life expectancy rises, product life falls. Just think of the

extra
profits!

Heh!

Funny thing is, at least until recently, cars had moved in the other
direction. When I was a kid, 100,000 miles was uncommon, tires last
12,000 to 15,000 miles, shocks came from the factory just about worn
out, and rust started eating the finish the day the vehicle rolled
outdoors. Today, anyone who doesn't get 150,000 miles without major
repairs feels as if he's been screwed--and he has. Tires last 40,000 to
60,000 miles. Rust is seldoom a problem inside a decade, shocks are
much better overall and last over 50,000 miles.

Just a few small points that I can illustrate from my own life: my '50
Studebaker had some great features--a hill holder was foremost--but the
engine was a POS, a six cylinder that ate rod bearings because of
crankshaft slop, caused by poor design; any mid-'50s Ford ever made
with rocker panels that rusted out inside of two years; a spun main
bearing on a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda that I was told was common;
whiplash problems in the distributor of a '68 Barracude 340S, which
also came from the factory with wide oval tires that lastaed about 8000
miles. Warranty: tough **** jack. You bought it. It's yours. Don't
bother us.

Tim Daneliuk

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Yep ... from which springs a definite impression that the culture is
populated with barely functional, fist pumping, male idiots who can't
get it
up.

As a left-leaning centrist I've been quite upset lately by a few
commercials during the 7:00 after-dinner hour.

snip

My definition of at least 85% of commercial programming on TV these days:

Designed by and executed for congenital idiots.

Lew

Actually, it's designed for the all-so-important 18-24 demographic.
Media is driven by culture (and vice-versa), and the culture
is increasingly youth-obsessed. Note the pathetic level at which
the middle-aged and beyond now cling to their illusions of youth.
Cosmetic surgery and sexual performance drugs have replaced the Corvette
and gold chains of yesteryear.

Contrary to my long-standing protests to the contrary, I recently broke down
and again installed "digital" cable, and I have to say, I'm mightily
impressed. First of all, this medium is now increasingly "narrowcasting" -
you have far more choices and opportunities to match your viewing with your
interests. Secondly, the 'on-demand' feature makes time shifting of desireable
shows a snap. Most important of all are the many channels of uninterrupted
CD-quality music. Guest in our home now are treated to the idiot-box playing
music over a middling fair sound system while we (gasp!) engage in conversation.

Yes, there's a lot of garabage in popular media. But that's just Sturgeon's
Law at work - 98% of *everything* is crap - excellence is rare in any
discipline. But technology is never inherently evil, it's all in how you
use it...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Old Nick

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:12:57 -0700, charlie b

I diminsih the life of my all of tools with great skill.
mac davis

On 20 May 2005 05:27:11 EDT, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

[...]

With the massive popularity of "big time wrestling" and the "reality" shows, I
wonder if that isn't prof that excessive TV watching kills brain cells... lol

I flip through the channels once in a while and can't believe that these shows
would have a draw... how can anything be "reality" when you know it's on tv????

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Odinn

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Odinn wrote:

Yup, that's my fear. I just found out the amount and size of trees I'm
going to be milling, and there is NO WAY I can haul it all in one shot.

3 trees 10" diameter, ~30 ft
3 trees 12" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 14" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 16" diameter, ~50 ft

Good thing my FIL has a large garage/shed (40x40) so I can stack a lot
of this away for a trip later on. Now I need to find someone with a
kiln, since I'm in the middle of some landscaping and don't have a place
to build my own yet.

You don't *have* to have a kiln, sitcker and air-dry the wood.

Yes, but that means 1-2 years waiting to use the wood

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

Patriarch wrote:
Odinn wrote in :

snip

[...]

I don't have much choice in hauling as much of it as I can, since my FIL
doesn't have a lot of space to store it in. The trees have been down
for about 9 months, so there is already been some drying (although, not
very much). I'm not overly worried about the gas cost, since I'm
already driving up there and back anyway, so it'll only cost me slightly
more for the trip than it would without the wood coming back (500 miles
in my truck already costs me about 40 gallons unloaded, loaded it will
only cost me about 45-50 gallons).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Dave in Fairfax

Odinn wrote:
Yes, but that means 1-2 years waiting to use the wood

Very true. OTOH, if you have *pretty* wood, Air drying will keep
it pretty, KD will make it less so, at least in my opinion. It
does take time, but I've gotten used to that doing turning. It
isn't fun, but it's frequently worth it. YMMV.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Odinn

Odinn wrote:

Yes, but that means 1-2 years waiting to use the wood

Very true. OTOH, if you have *pretty* wood, Air drying will keep
it pretty, KD will make it less so, at least in my opinion. It
does take time, but I've gotten used to that doing turning. It
isn't fun, but it's frequently worth it. YMMV.

Maybe I can kiln dry enough to redo the kitchen with this year and air
dry the rest to do the entertainment center with next year. With the
amount that I'm going to be milling, I should have plenty to work with
for the next few years anyway

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Dave in Fairfax

Odinn wrote:
Maybe I can kiln dry enough to redo the kitchen with this year and air
dry the rest to do the entertainment center with next year. With the
amount that I'm going to be milling, I should have plenty to work with
for the next few years anyway

That'd work. I guess if the cost of KD'g is by the bf, it would
make a big difference. OTOH, if it's a flat fee or your own kiln,
it might not make that much of a difference. Get a cheap moisture
tester and see what it's like, that alone might help make up your
mind. Regardless, you've got a bunch of wood for the price of
extra gas.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Odinn

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Odinn wrote:

Maybe I can kiln dry enough to redo the kitchen with this year and air
dry the rest to do the entertainment center with next year. With the
amount that I'm going to be milling, I should have plenty to work with
for the next few years anyway

That'd work. I guess if the cost of KD'g is by the bf, it would
make a big difference. OTOH, if it's a flat fee or your own kiln,
it might not make that much of a difference. Get a cheap moisture
tester and see what it's like, that alone might help make up your
mind. Regardless, you've got a bunch of wood for the price of
extra gas.

Well, the price of the extra gas and the cost of having someone bring
out a portable sawmill ($55 hr, 3 hr minimum). Either way, it is
cheaper than I could have bought it for

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Upscale

"Odinn" wrote in message

Well, the price of the extra gas and the cost of having someone bring
out a portable sawmill ($55 hr, 3 hr minimum). Either way, it is
cheaper than I could have bought it for

For that cost, you could even do it yourself if you have access to a
chainsaw and one of the following accessories.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139

Andrew Barss

Patriarch wrote:

: We have gotten to the point that mt wife & I watch almost nothing that
: doesn't get captured through TiVo first.

Us too. TiVo really changed our viewing life completely. An amazing
product --

Andy Barss
Odinn

Andrew Barss wrote:
Patriarch wrote:

: We have gotten to the point that mt wife & I watch almost nothing that
: doesn't get captured through TiVo first.

Us too. TiVo really changed our viewing life completely. An amazing
product --

I now get to watch good TV (History, Discovery, DIY) at a time that is
convenient to me instead of whatever is on when I have time (which
usually means nothing). I love my 2 TiVos.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

Upscale wrote:
"Odinn" wrote in message

Well, the price of the extra gas and the cost of having someone bring
out a portable sawmill ($55 hr, 3 hr minimum). Either way, it is
cheaper than I could have bought it for

For that cost, you could even do it yourself if you have access to a
chainsaw and one of the following accessories.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139

Problem isn't access to a chainsaw (I have something similar to the
second one, but I do like the first one a lot better, I might just order
one), it's time. I have 1 3-day weekend to drive 500 miles, cut the
trees into logs, mill them and drive back 500 miles with as much as I
can carry.