Odinn

Patriarch wrote:
Odinn wrote in :

snip

Yup, that's my fear. I just found out the amount and size of trees
I'm going to be milling, and there is NO WAY I can haul it all in one
shot.

3 trees 10" diameter, ~30 ft
3 trees 12" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 14" diameter, ~40 ft
2 trees 16" diameter, ~50 ft

Good thing my FIL has a large garage/shed (40x40) so I can stack a lot
of this away for a trip later on. Now I need to find someone with a
kiln, since I'm in the middle of some landscaping and don't have a
place to build my own yet.

The longer you can leave it stacked, stickered and properly ventilated, the
less weight you have to manage, handle and transport.

There's a fellow hangs out here who's often pointing folks to the USFS wood
site, for solid info on drying various species. My guess is that George
will be around soon. I don't have it bookmarked, but he does. Otherwise,
a Google search will show it.

When you are paying $2.50/gal for fuel, you want to haul as little water as
practical.

I don't have much choice in hauling as much of it as I can, since my FIL
doesn't have a lot of space to store it in. The trees have been down
for about 9 months, so there is already been some drying (although, not
very much). I'm not overly worried about the gas cost, since I'm
already driving up there and back anyway, so it'll only cost me slightly
more for the trip than it would without the wood coming back (500 miles
in my truck already costs me about 40 gallons unloaded, loaded it will
only cost me about 45-50 gallons).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net