Icepick

Default Low priced Forstner bits

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it
is worth giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on '
sale ' on Forstner wood bit pack ?

on a similar topic - Has anyone tried those titanium coated drill bits ?
They are very brittle and are the worst twist drill bits I've ever
used. I will be sticking to HHS bits.

10-4

Lew Hodgett

Icepick wrote:
A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it
is worth giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on '
sale ' on Forstner wood bit pack ?

As old PT said, "there is a sucker born every minute".

Lew
Edwin Pawlowski

"Icepick" wrote in message
A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit package.
Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it is worth
giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on ' sale ' on
Forstner wood bit pack ?

Do they come in a wood box? I bought a low end set in a box. My plan was
to use them and replace them as needed but I still have the nice wood case
to keep them in. Of the seven piece set, I've replaced the 3/4" and 3/8" as
they are the ones I've used the most. The other sizes have only seen few
holes and they work well enough for that. It is a low cost way to have a
selection of bits on hand "just in case"
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Icepick

I don't know if they come in a wood box.

Very likely these wood bits are made in China of some type of carbon
steel , with some kind of heat treat. Since I'm drilling in softwood
they don't have to be the best . If I pick up a pack of these el'cheapo
Forstner bits then will report how they worked.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Icepick" wrote in message

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit package.
Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it is worth
giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on ' sale ' on
Forstner wood bit pack ?

Do they come in a wood box? I bought a low end set in a box. My plan was
to use them and replace them as needed but I still have the nice wood case
to keep them in. Of the seven piece set, I've replaced the 3/4" and 3/8" as
they are the ones I've used the most. The other sizes have only seen few
holes and they work well enough for that. It is a low cost way to have a
selection of bits on hand "just in case"

Icepick:

I use these quite a bit. I bought a set about 5 years ago simply for
the size. They are good for having the exact size you need on
occasion, and they are easy to sharpen with the Dremel because the
steel is pretty soft. I really only use these for hobby stuff.

But for door hinges, etc., (Blum style Euros) I did buy the exact bit I
needed. It did not escape me that the American made Forstner bit for
cab hardware cost as much as my "box 'o bits".

RL

BillyBob

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

The other sizes have only seen few
holes and they work well enough for that. It is a low cost way to have a
selection of bits on hand "just in case"

I got hooked on the Freud carbide forstner bits. They are so good that I
don't buy anything else. I just finished drilling twenty-seven 3/4" dog
holes in a rock maple bench top that is 40 years old. Talk about tough!
But the freud bit sliced through it like a surgeon's scalpel throwing off
fine curly shavings the whole way. When I finished it looked like the holes
had been machined.

Bob

Layne

This is what I did too. The bits are cheap and there is noticable
runout when spinning in the drill press. But, for making holes that
don't have to be exact they're fine. If, you're going to use them for
joinery like making mortises I'd buy a good (read: expensive) forstner
bit.

Layne

On Thu, 05 May 2005 02:47:22 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Icepick" wrote in message
A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit package.
Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it is worth
giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on ' sale ' on
Forstner wood bit pack ?

Do they come in a wood box? I bought a low end set in a box. My plan was
to use them and replace them as needed but I still have the nice wood case
to keep them in. Of the seven piece set, I've replaced the 3/4" and 3/8" as
they are the ones I've used the most. The other sizes have only seen few
holes and they work well enough for that. It is a low cost way to have a
selection of bits on hand "just in case"

tom

BillyBob wrote:
snip "When I finished it looked like the holes
had been machined."

Bob snip

As they have been! Sorry. Tom

Phisherman

If these are made in Asia, chances are that they are not too good and
don't expect too much.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 01:38:13 GMT, Icepick
wrote:

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it
is worth giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on '
sale ' on Forstner wood bit pack ?

on a similar topic - Has anyone tried those titanium coated drill bits ?
They are very brittle and are the worst twist drill bits I've ever
used. I will be sticking to HHS bits.

10-4

Andy Dingley

wrote:

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00

They're rubbish, but if you don't have them already, it's worth getting
them.

You'l also need something like a small diamond hone, because they're
blunt as anything when they arrive. When sharpened, they become usable,
if not good.

Bruce Barnett

Icepick writes:

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like
it is worth giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar
on ' sale ' on Forstner wood bit pack ?

One thing that these cheap Forstner's have a problem with is cutting
without the center guide point. (i.e. enlarging an existing hole,
cutting a slice near the edge, etc.) You need a drill press for that,
and they really vibrate like crazy when you try it.

mac davis

On Thu, 05 May 2005 01:38:13 GMT, Icepick wrote:

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it
is worth giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on '
sale ' on Forstner wood bit pack ?

on a similar topic - Has anyone tried those titanium coated drill bits ?
They are very brittle and are the worst twist drill bits I've ever
used. I will be sticking to HHS bits.

10-4

I bought the large set from harbor Freight last year.. 16 TIN bits from 1/4" to
2 1/8" for $30 US, with the usual intent: start with a cheap collection in a
nice box and replace the ones that were used a lot with good ones..

So far, they all still do a great job and if I need more I'll buy the same or a
similar set... I was thinking of buying a good quality 2 1/8" for chuck turning,
but that would be over twice the cost of another set of cheap ones.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

woodworker88

No offense, but just FYI:
They aren't titanium coated bits. They are titanium nitride coated,
which is a micron thin coating applied to the cutting surfaces of the
bits. You are right about them being brittle, but this has to do with
the cheap steel the bits themselves are made out of, and not the TiN
coating. I managed to get my hands on some professional TiN bits
intended for machine shop use and they worked great in my drill press.
BTW, drill bits aren't the only tool with a TiN coating. High
performance end mills for machining are also coated.

Steve Knight

I managed to get my hands on some professional TiN bits
intended for machine shop use and they worked great in my drill press.
BTW, drill bits aren't the only tool with a TiN coating. High
performance end mills for machining are also coated.

the TiN coating is only a lubricant. it is put on the tools to help the ejection
of metal chips. it is not meant to make the tool keep an edge longer. it does
not really work with wood either. so they are a waste of money.
the right drill bit will drill materials faster then the wrong one. for
woodworking drill bits with deep flutes will eject wood chips better.
but the shape and design of the bit will make the performance difference not the
coating.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Prometheus

wrote:

A local tool store is having a sale on a 7 piece Forstner wood bit
package. Regular price is $22.00 Can on sale for $8.00 Seems like it
is worth giving them a try for that price. Anyone tried a similar on '
sale ' on Forstner wood bit pack ?

I bought a 7-piece set of Forsners for $20 about 8 or 9 months ago,
and they work just fine for me. They're probably not going to last
for 20 years, but they're certainly functional, and they leave a nice
clean flat-bottomed hole like you'd expect. The brand name was
"Columbian"

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
JC

I bought a set of 16 'forstner' bits from Grizzly for about $30. They
came in a nice double-hinged box. They turned out to be mostly
saw-toothed bits. Only the three smallest were actually forstner. It
doesn't matter to me, they cut great. I don't know what the 'quality'
bits cut like but I think the imported Grizzly set is a heck of a
deal...

CW

Actually, it is meant to help keep an edge longer and it works. You are
quite correct that it is a lubricant. Helping chips slide off instead of
adhering or trying to adhere results in lower local heating and abrasion,
making the edge last longer. The difference is quite apparent when machining
high strength stainless, titanium, inconel or other tough machining metals.
No difference for wood however.
"Steve Knight" wrote in message

the TiN coating is only a lubricant. it is put on the tools to help the

ejection
of metal chips. it is not meant to make the tool keep an edge longer. it

does
not really work with wood either. so they are a waste of money.
the right drill bit will drill materials faster then the wrong one. for
woodworking drill bits with deep flutes will eject wood chips better.
but the shape and design of the bit will make the performance difference

not the
coating.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight

On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:34:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Actually, it is meant to help keep an edge longer and it works. You are
quite correct that it is a lubricant. Helping chips slide off instead of
adhering or trying to adhere results in lower local heating and abrasion,
making the edge last longer. The difference is quite apparent when machining
high strength stainless, titanium, inconel or other tough machining metals.
No difference for wood however.

I was not sure about the edge part so I kept quiet (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Forstner bits Roy Woodworking 4 September 26th 04 08:48 PM
Router bits - 1/4" vs. 1/2" , which brands Mike Gerdts Woodworking 11 July 19th 04 05:13 PM
Bosch 1617EVSPK -- 1/4 or 1/2 bits? Leon Woodworking 3 June 2nd 04 07:36 PM
Woodcraft router bits YJJim Woodworking 2 December 17th 03 05:38 AM
Forstner bits... Ted Woodturning 10 December 13th 03 02:07 PM