Steve Knight

I managed to get my hands on some professional TiN bits
intended for machine shop use and they worked great in my drill press.
BTW, drill bits aren't the only tool with a TiN coating. High
performance end mills for machining are also coated.

the TiN coating is only a lubricant. it is put on the tools to help the ejection
of metal chips. it is not meant to make the tool keep an edge longer. it does
not really work with wood either. so they are a waste of money.
the right drill bit will drill materials faster then the wrong one. for
woodworking drill bits with deep flutes will eject wood chips better.
but the shape and design of the bit will make the performance difference not the
coating.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes