Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)

A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Very cool. But as a highly inexperienced turner, I'm curious about how
you go about turning so much air - especially on the one with the wings.
It seems like a guy would soon have all his tools stuck in the ceiling.

PDX David
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

Way cool. I've been doing something similar lately too. How are you
reverse chucking yours to finish the bottom?

Hope to have some photos up soon on mine but first have to finish my
wife's Christmas present (it's not turned). I'll post some photos of
that too. Real Soon Now...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:03:41 -0800, Jane & David wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Very cool. But as a highly inexperienced turner, I'm curious about how
you go about turning so much air - especially on the one with the wings.
It seems like a guy would soon have all his tools stuck in the ceiling.

PDX David

Thanks, David.. I appreciate that..

I learned from an expert:
http://aroundthewoods.com/wings.shtml

The idea to turn this one upside down was inspired by this bowl on Turner Bob's
page:
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com/GALLERY-2.html

I didn't want to waste a hardwood board for the experiment, so I used an oak
branch and sort of did a combination of Bob's square bowl and Darrell's wing
bowl..
It's a lot easier than it looks, but you do have to be careful..
Sharp tools and a light touch are a must...
Power sand whenever possible... Darrell calls them angel wings, I call them
Knuckle bangers..

A tip that I got from George a few years ago was to put a contrasting color
paper or cardboard background behind the piece, to better see the "ghost"..

BTW: tools won't hit the ceiling unless you're cutting on the UP side... but,
you knew that, right? ;-]

The other piece was a log half that I was going to make a bowl out of, but
decided to cut it a bit longer than it was wide and maybe make a wing bowl..
As I was cutting the tenon for the chuck, I thought it might be cool to have a
semi-rough, flat board-like top and a contrasting round bowl bottom..
About 2/3 of the way through, my wife suggested that I undercut the top a bit
more to make it look like a board sitting on a bowl..
I probably overdid the hollowing, but it's something that I'm trying to learn..

Oh.. my wife looked at it after it was buffed and thought it should be stood on
end and be a bird house..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:37:31 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

Way cool. I've been doing something similar lately too. How are you
reverse chucking yours to finish the bottom?

Hope to have some photos up soon on mine but first have to finish my
wife's Christmas present (it's not turned). I'll post some photos of
that too. Real Soon Now...

...Kevin

Thanks, Kevin... That means a lot coming from you..

Both were vacuum chucked.. though for the wing bowl I got a little chicken and
left the tail stock on it with a small cup center and then sanded the nub off..

I've has a wing bowl try to fly before and it sort of spooked me..

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Can be dangerous. I've done a couple of square turnings and those
wings are scary. Trick is slow and easy with light cuts and be very
careful 'cause those wings are as you said GHOST. I used a trick
someone told me to sand my turnings by wrapping sandpaper around a
piece of styrofoam packing that I took out of some box, Kept my hands
away from those wings.

mac davis wrote:
A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

Way cool. I've been doing something similar lately too. How are you
reverse chucking yours to finish the bottom?

Hope to have some photos up soon on mine but first have to finish my
wife's Christmas present (it's not turned). I'll post some photos of
that too. Real Soon Now...

...Kevin

Thanks, Kevin... That means a lot coming from you..

Both were vacuum chucked.. though for the wing bowl I got a little chicken and
left the tail stock on it with a small cup center and then sanded the nub off..

I've has a wing bowl try to fly before and it sort of spooked me..

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Very cool. But as a highly inexperienced turner, I'm curious about how
you go about turning so much air - especially on the one with the wings.
It seems like a guy would soon have all his tools stuck in the ceiling.

PDX David

big snip

BTW: tools won't hit the ceiling unless you're cutting on the UP side... but,
you knew that, right? ;-]

No! I don't know that, and I hope to never find out :-) I was thinking
the wood would knock tip of the tool down against the rest and flip the
handle up ass-over-teakettle toward the sky. I would guess a change of
pants would follow.

Glad to hear you have a (relatively) safe procedure. And again, really
nice work.

PDX David
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:38:23 -0600, BumHead wrote:

Can be dangerous. I've done a couple of square turnings and those
wings are scary. Trick is slow and easy with light cuts and be very
careful 'cause those wings are as you said GHOST. I used a trick
someone told me to sand my turnings by wrapping sandpaper around a
piece of styrofoam packing that I took out of some box, Kept my hands
away from those wings.

I sort of go with Derrel on the speed... I'd rather turn it a bit faster and
lessen the chance of a catch..

Having lots of sore fingers and a few scars from wings, I use foam backed sand
paper, folded at least double... and if possible, on the end of a dowel or flat
piece of stock..

Both of the bowls in the pictures that I posted were probably 85 or 90% power
sanded... Sanding pads are easier to replace than fingers..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:09:47 -0800, Jane & David wrote:

BTW: tools won't hit the ceiling unless you're cutting on the UP side... but,
you knew that, right? ;-]

No! I don't know that, and I hope to never find out :-) I was thinking
the wood would knock tip of the tool down against the rest and flip the
handle up ass-over-teakettle toward the sky. I would guess a change of
pants would follow.

Glad to hear you have a (relatively) safe procedure. And again, really
nice work.

PDX David

If you have proper angle on the tool/tool rest, and don't let the tool rest get
too far from the work (causing loss of leverage on the handle) a catch should
leave the tool pretty much where it was against the rest...
The downward force of the catch will (hopefully) help press the tool against the
rest..
If you're at a bad angle or not (loss for words.. HELP GEORGE) holding the tool
properly, the tool WILL be bounced off the rest.. but it has to be in the wrong
position to do that..

As you get more experience (and a lot of catches) you find that you not only get
fewer catches but the ones you get are usually more the "click" then the "clunk,
oh ****!" ones...
Sometimes you can recover from a catch only to get a worse one by not watching
where the tool tip is when you recover.. DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Square Bows - 1/several

This is a small 'square' bowl made from a bit of mountain ash (aka
rowan) burl. I've seen square bowls in the mags and such but never
really had an interest in doing them. But I just couldn't bring my self
to cut off some of the nice figure in this so went ahead and tried one.

I was hooked. I roughed it out, then let it sit for about three months
to dry, then finished turned the top/inside. Then I set it aside. By
the time I got back to it, it had warped further. I thought about
redoing it, but liked the uneven surface and character. Thus the start
of my "Wild and Free" series!

It's about 8" or 9" across, give or take. You can see where there was a
knot hole I filled with brass key shavings. I really like using that to
fill voids. And coffee grounds...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Attached Thumbnails
ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5787_1-jpg  ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5788_1-jpg  ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5789_1-jpg  ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5791_1-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Square Bowls 2/several

Another mountain ash bowl, but no burl figure. You can see the coffee
and brass filler a bit better in this one. I just pack it in, then drip
in thin CA glue.

Later today I may get some photos of my wife's Christmas present up.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Attached Thumbnails
ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5792_1-jpg  ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5793_1-jpg  ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)-img_5796_1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:03:12 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

This is a small 'square' bowl made from a bit of mountain ash (aka
rowan) burl. I've seen square bowls in the mags and such but never
really had an interest in doing them. But I just couldn't bring my self
to cut off some of the nice figure in this so went ahead and tried one.

I was hooked. I roughed it out, then let it sit for about three months
to dry, then finished turned the top/inside. Then I set it aside. By
the time I got back to it, it had warped further. I thought about
redoing it, but liked the uneven surface and character. Thus the start
of my "Wild and Free" series!

It's about 8" or 9" across, give or take. You can see where there was a
knot hole I filled with brass key shavings. I really like using that to
fill voids. And coffee grounds...

...Kevin

Really nice work, Kevin.. and a wonderful piece of wood..
the only problem I see is misrepresentation, as the 1st bowl is NOT square..
We can settle out of court, though.. send me a couple of cords of turning wood..
;]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Really nice work, Kevin.. and a wonderful piece of wood..
the only problem I see is misrepresentation, as the 1st bowl is NOT square..
We can settle out of court, though.. send me a couple of cords of turning wood..
;]

Thanks. It *was* square but it, er, warped during drying. At least
that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'd be happy to give you some wood, but you gotta come get it. I'd wait
until August when the salmon and halibut are biting. g

S'later...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:41:19 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
Really nice work, Kevin.. and a wonderful piece of wood..
the only problem I see is misrepresentation, as the 1st bowl is NOT square..
We can settle out of court, though.. send me a couple of cords of turning wood..
;]

Thanks. It *was* square but it, er, warped during drying. At least
that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'd be happy to give you some wood, but you gotta come get it. I'd wait
until August when the salmon and halibut are biting. g

S'later...

...Kevin

We have halibut, sea bass and shrimp here, but I don't eat fish, damnit..

No wood around, though.. I don't EVEN wanna try cactus.. lol