Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Square Bows - 1/several

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:03:12 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

This is a small 'square' bowl made from a bit of mountain ash (aka
rowan) burl. I've seen square bowls in the mags and such but never
really had an interest in doing them. But I just couldn't bring my self
to cut off some of the nice figure in this so went ahead and tried one.

I was hooked. I roughed it out, then let it sit for about three months
to dry, then finished turned the top/inside. Then I set it aside. By
the time I got back to it, it had warped further. I thought about
redoing it, but liked the uneven surface and character. Thus the start
of my "Wild and Free" series!

It's about 8" or 9" across, give or take. You can see where there was a
knot hole I filled with brass key shavings. I really like using that to
fill voids. And coffee grounds...

...Kevin

Really nice work, Kevin.. and a wonderful piece of wood..
the only problem I see is misrepresentation, as the 1st bowl is NOT square..
We can settle out of court, though.. send me a couple of cords of turning wood..
;]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing