Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:09:47 -0800, Jane & David wrote:

BTW: tools won't hit the ceiling unless you're cutting on the UP side... but,
you knew that, right? ;-]

No! I don't know that, and I hope to never find out :-) I was thinking
the wood would knock tip of the tool down against the rest and flip the
handle up ass-over-teakettle toward the sky. I would guess a change of
pants would follow.

Glad to hear you have a (relatively) safe procedure. And again, really
nice work.

PDX David

If you have proper angle on the tool/tool rest, and don't let the tool rest get
too far from the work (causing loss of leverage on the handle) a catch should
leave the tool pretty much where it was against the rest...
The downward force of the catch will (hopefully) help press the tool against the
rest..
If you're at a bad angle or not (loss for words.. HELP GEORGE) holding the tool
properly, the tool WILL be bounced off the rest.. but it has to be in the wrong
position to do that..

As you get more experience (and a lot of catches) you find that you not only get
fewer catches but the ones you get are usually more the "click" then the "clunk,
oh ****!" ones...
Sometimes you can recover from a catch only to get a worse one by not watching
where the tool tip is when you recover.. DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing