Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default ARCH.. some not round stuff (0/1)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:03:41 -0800, Jane & David wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

A couple of my latest... sort of a rebellion since the "goblets from hell" are
done..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Very cool. But as a highly inexperienced turner, I'm curious about how
you go about turning so much air - especially on the one with the wings.
It seems like a guy would soon have all his tools stuck in the ceiling.

PDX David

Thanks, David.. I appreciate that..

I learned from an expert:
http://aroundthewoods.com/wings.shtml

The idea to turn this one upside down was inspired by this bowl on Turner Bob's
page:
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com/GALLERY-2.html

I didn't want to waste a hardwood board for the experiment, so I used an oak
branch and sort of did a combination of Bob's square bowl and Darrell's wing
bowl..
It's a lot easier than it looks, but you do have to be careful..
Sharp tools and a light touch are a must...
Power sand whenever possible... Darrell calls them angel wings, I call them
Knuckle bangers..

A tip that I got from George a few years ago was to put a contrasting color
paper or cardboard background behind the piece, to better see the "ghost"..

BTW: tools won't hit the ceiling unless you're cutting on the UP side... but,
you knew that, right? ;-]

The other piece was a log half that I was going to make a bowl out of, but
decided to cut it a bit longer than it was wide and maybe make a wing bowl..
As I was cutting the tenon for the chuck, I thought it might be cool to have a
semi-rough, flat board-like top and a contrasting round bowl bottom..
About 2/3 of the way through, my wife suggested that I undercut the top a bit
more to make it look like a board sitting on a bowl..
I probably overdid the hollowing, but it's something that I'm trying to learn..

Oh.. my wife looked at it after it was buffed and thought it should be stood on
end and be a bird house..lol