Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default New workbench

I just completed my new workbench. Plan was from American Woodworker
about a year back. Met my needs because it rolls when I need it to but
is rock solid when in use. I used the plane for the base and is made
mostly from 5 sheets of borg plywood. Trim is solid oak. the top is
made from a solid core door cut to size and trimmed in walnut. There
are 6 100 lb rated wheels under the carcass to allow for movement. 4
wedges lift it slightly to make it stationary.

Attached Thumbnails
New workbench-img_0143-jpg  New workbench-img_0144-jpg  New workbench-img_0145-jpg  New workbench-img_0146-jpg  New workbench-img_0147-jpg

New workbench-img_0148-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 05:51:29 -0400, David Bridgeman wrote:

I just completed my new workbench. Plan was from American Woodworker
about a year back. Met my needs because it rolls when I need it to but
is rock solid when in use. I used the plane for the base and is made
mostly from 5 sheets of borg plywood. Trim is solid oak. the top is
made from a solid core door cut to size and trimmed in walnut. There
are 6 100 lb rated wheels under the carcass to allow for movement. 4
wedges lift it slightly to make it stationary.

Looks very good David. Like the slide out shelves/drawers. But then I have
a fan of slide outs. Like your choice of a solid core door for the top.
What is the white material on the vise?

Paul T.

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

PH Thorsted wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 05:51:29 -0400, David Bridgeman wrote:

I just completed my new workbench. Plan was from American Woodworker
about a year back. Met my needs because it rolls when I need it to but
is rock solid when in use. I used the plane for the base and is made
mostly from 5 sheets of borg plywood. Trim is solid oak. the top is
made from a solid core door cut to size and trimmed in walnut. There
are 6 100 lb rated wheels under the carcass to allow for movement. 4
wedges lift it slightly to make it stationary.

Looks very good David. Like the slide out shelves/drawers. But then I have
a fan of slide outs. Like your choice of a solid core door for the top.
What is the white material on the vise?

Paul T.

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

Thanks, Paul.

The white is maple. A few here told me, correctly so, that the walnut
for the vice jaw was too soft for high pressure. I wanted to match the
walnut apron on the top (door) so I laminated a walnut on both sides of
the maple (inserted for strength). I am still playing with the vice. I
can not get it aligned. I may have to remove and reattach it.

Dave
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

David Bridgeman wrote:
I just completed my new workbench. Plan was from American Woodworker
about a year back. Met my needs because it rolls when I need it to but
is rock solid when in use. I used the plane for the base and is made
mostly from 5 sheets of borg plywood. Trim is solid oak. the top is
made from a solid core door cut to size and trimmed in walnut. There
are 6 100 lb rated wheels under the carcass to allow for movement. 4
wedges lift it slightly to make it stationary.

I've been thinking about building a bew bench for a while now, looking
at a number of different designs. This one, by far, seems best suited to
my needs. Great job!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice. I have been thinking about replacing the mdf top on mine with
hard maple or hickory. This certainly makes me want to rethink just
replacing the top.
Very nice.

Thom

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
David Bridgeman wrote:
I just completed my new workbench. Plan was from American Woodworker
about a year back. Met my needs because it rolls when I need it to but
is rock solid when in use. I used the plane for the base and is made
mostly from 5 sheets of borg plywood. Trim is solid oak. the top is
made from a solid core door cut to size and trimmed in walnut. There
are 6 100 lb rated wheels under the carcass to allow for movement. 4
wedges lift it slightly to make it stationary.

I've been thinking about building a bew bench for a while now, looking
at a number of different designs. This one, by far, seems best suited to
my needs. Great job!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"David Bridgeman" wrote in message
. ..
I just completed my new workbench. Plan was from American Woodworker
about a year back. Met my needs because it rolls when I need it to but
is rock solid when in use. I used the plane for the base and is made
mostly from 5 sheets of borg plywood. Trim is solid oak. the top is
made from a solid core door cut to size and trimmed in walnut. There
are 6 100 lb rated wheels under the carcass to allow for movement. 4
wedges lift it slightly to make it stationary.

Very nice. I am considering a similar type that would be mobile also. I
like the door idea for the top and have kicked it around.

I have attached the plans, PDF format for a similar one for those that like
the style that you used.
Thanks to Bob for the free plans on his web site.

I would probably go with the full extension slides also as opposed to
limited range wooden ones displayed in the plans.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Workbench 1.pdf (604.9 KB, 312 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:34:38 -0400, David Bridgeman
wrote:

Good looking job, sir...

No bench dog holes?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ya did good ... Well done!

I'm a BIG fan of beaucoup drawers in the workshop.

AAMOF, should I ever have/build that much wanted, needed, dreamed of,
drooled over, _bigger_ shop, I may consider having one wall lined with
drawers almost to the ceiling.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, you can indeed have too many clamps, but
I've yet to see a shop with too many drawers.

Now, get busy, put some dents/spill some stain/accidental drill throughs/
chisel gouges into that piece of furniture and make it look like it belongs
to the real wooddorker that obviously had the skill to make it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Good looking job, sir...

No bench dog holes?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bench dog holes are coming soon.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

David Bridgeman wrote:
PH Thorsted wrote:

[...]

It was in the December/January 2006 issue. Article was called "A rock
solid workbench".

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Good looking job, sir...

No bench dog holes?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bench dog holes are coming soon.

ahh... good deal...

If you haven't already planned this, and have space, I'm putting a sliding
"catcher" sheet, kind of like a big cutting board, between the top & drawers of
my next bench....
Keeps dust and chips out of the drawers and makes retrieving screws and crap
that fall into a dog hole a little easier to find...

Ever notice that if you drop something small on the bench it always seems to
find a hole to drop into? lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

Good looking job, sir...

No bench dog holes?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bench dog holes are coming soon.

ahh... good deal...

If you haven't already planned this, and have space, I'm putting a sliding
"catcher" sheet, kind of like a big cutting board, between the top & drawers of
my next bench....
Keeps dust and chips out of the drawers and makes retrieving screws and crap
that fall into a dog hole a little easier to find...

Ever notice that if you drop something small on the bench it always seems to
find a hole to drop into? lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Good idea. I will try to incorporate that into mine. Only the top draw
is open. All the others are in plywood boxes that form the base.

Dave
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Attached Files
File Type: pdf My Workbench__04.pdf (228.0 KB, 52 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

You did a fine job on that bench, and just about the best job of creating
tool storage I've seen. I do love all those full extension sliding drawers.

I've attached a photo of a bench I built several years ago. I worked for a
company that offered a retirement benefit that paid for classes to increase
your skills or otherwise enhance your retirement. I found a class at a
local woodworking shop where you built this bench and took it home with you
at the end of the course. Needless to say, it seemed a good deal to me.
The course price was $1,500, and included all the materials, hardware,
instruction and use of the shop's tools.

The bench is primarily solid maple and the top is 2 5/8" thick. I used
cherry for the raised panels in the legs and banded a slice of walnut into
the side vise jaw. In this photo, you can see I've left the vise handles
too long and have since cut them a bit shorter.

I plan on filling in the base with storage similar in fashion to what you've
done with yours, but I'm still waiting on that "round tuit" in order to get
that done.

Again, great job on your bench.

Wade Cothran

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp Pics2 115.jpg (469.6 KB, 34 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Wade,

Thanks for the kind words. I can't take credit for the design since it
was in American Woodworker magazine.

One great thing about the design is that most of the drawer parts are
made from the plywood leftovers of the main base.

Dave
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That is a gorgeous bench! Trouble is, there is no way I could bring
myself to actually work on something that pretty for fear of banging it up.

workbench? Duck Woodworking 7 June 26th 07 10:35 PM
Workbench Baz UK diy 0 March 9th 06 03:34 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
workbench Chris Woodworking 0 November 27th 04 08:16 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM