Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Bubinga End Table

Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the bubinga
was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago. The
top/apron unit floats float relative to the legs, which are laminated with
about 16 or 17 layers. This is the thickest lamination I have done and
took considerable pressure to hold to the form. The apron is angled in to
match the angle of the leg. The finish is poly gel. The hard part was
shipping it to Atlanta since it weighs 50 lbs! At least the legs
disassemble for shipping.

Bob

--
Remove + from address to reply

Attached Thumbnails
Bubinga End Table-img_1523s-jpg  Bubinga End Table-img_1538s-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob wrote:
Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the bubinga
was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago. T

Beautiful! I really like the grain on the tabletop.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 5/27/07 2:49 PM, "Bob" wrote:

Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the bubinga
was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago. The
top/apron unit floats float relative to the legs, which are laminated with
about 16 or 17 layers. This is the thickest lamination I have done and
took considerable pressure to hold to the form. The apron is angled in to
match the angle of the leg. The finish is poly gel.

It is a really beautiful piece! Congratulations on a job well done.

Is the top made from three pieces edge glued? I think I can see two seams
but the grain match is very well done.

And I love the graceful curve of the legs.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice! It's just a shame you couldn't get straighter stock for the
legs.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the
bubinga was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago.
The top/apron unit floats float relative to the legs, which are laminated
with about 16 or 17 layers. This is the thickest lamination I have done
and took considerable pressure to hold to the form. The apron is angled
in to match the angle of the leg. The finish is poly gel. The hard part
was shipping it to Atlanta since it weighs 50 lbs! At least the legs
disassemble for shipping.

Good job Bob!

It is the complete package. Great display the wood grain and graceful
curved design.

I remember an interview by Walt Disney where he discussed curved legs on
tables. He felt they were much more organic and favored them for animated
films.

So, don't be alarmed if your table starts to dance or sing! ;-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very, very nice work, especially with the angles. That is an especially
fine looking piece.

Wade

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the top is 3 pieces. I usually put considerable effort in determining
the wood orientation for grain matching. Sometimes on a larger project I
will spend several days looking at the wood to determine the best use and
orientation. It's all part of the planning process, and I love it when a
plan comes together ;-)

--
Remove NOSPAM from address to reply
"Robert Haar" wrote in message
On 5/27/07 2:49 PM, "Bob" wrote:

Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my
son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the
bubinga
was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago. The
top/apron unit floats float relative to the legs, which are laminated
with
about 16 or 17 layers. This is the thickest lamination I have done and
took considerable pressure to hold to the form. The apron is angled in
match the angle of the leg. The finish is poly gel.

It is a really beautiful piece! Congratulations on a job well done.

Is the top made from three pieces edge glued? I think I can see two seams
but the grain match is very well done.

And I love the graceful curve of the legs.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob wrote:

| I love it when a plan comes together ;-)

It did. Thanks for sharing the photos!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Very nice! It's just a shame you couldn't get straighter stock for the
legs.

The legs were straight but after a day the weight of the top caused them to
bow. ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the
bubinga was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago.
The top/apron unit floats float relative to the legs, which are laminated
with about 16 or 17 layers. This is the thickest lamination I have done
and took considerable pressure to hold to the form. The apron is angled
in to match the angle of the leg. The finish is poly gel. The hard part
was shipping it to Atlanta since it weighs 50 lbs! At least the legs
disassemble for shipping.

Bob

--
Remove + from address to reply

OK then. That is certainly a beautiful piece. Stunning really. Perfect
execution.

Was this your design and do the aprons bow out as they appear to do?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:49:35 -0700, "Bob"
wrote:

Attached are a couple pics of an end table I recently completed for my son
and his wife that I had promised them last Christmas. Some of the bubinga
was left over from my dining room table posted a couple years ago. The
top/apron unit floats float relative to the legs, which are laminated with
about 16 or 17 layers. This is the thickest lamination I have done and
took considerable pressure to hold to the form. The apron is angled in to
match the angle of the leg. The finish is poly gel. The hard part was
shipping it to Atlanta since it weighs 50 lbs! At least the legs
disassemble for shipping.

Bob

Very nice. The legs are a nice touch

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very Cool! Nice work. I love the wood.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon,

The design is mine. I tried to bring in some of the aspects of their
current living room furniture. The aprons are curved to match the curve of
the top, as well as angled to match the bow of the legs. Initially I was
concerned as to how to curve the top and bottom of the curved aprons so they
fit tight to the flat bottom of the top, but this was actually easy: I
attached the curved apron to a sled and angled the blade by the same angle
as the legs.

Bob

--
Remove NOSPAM from address to reply
"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A job well done there. I just love that type of design.
Thanks for sharing,
John

Finishing Bubinga Jim Woodworking 5 August 21st 06 03:33 PM
G1023SLW 10" Left Tilt Cabinet Table Saw w/Router table Fingersintact Woodworking 2 February 22nd 06 02:15 PM
Finishing highly figured bubinga? Toller Woodworking 7 September 30th 05 04:07 AM
Kwazinga, (sic) son of Bubinga [email protected] Woodworking 8 May 10th 05 04:01 AM
Bench Dog 40-031 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table/Table Saw Extension furr2ball Woodworking 1 October 1st 04 04:41 PM