Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Finishing Bubinga

Hi:

I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood
before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use.

I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or need much
darkening of the wood. It is quite dark enough already.

The project will require some gluing, and I suppose that I should use one of
the dark products. What kind do most people use?

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim wrote:

I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood
before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use.

I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or

need much
darkening of the wood.

snip

Have you considered using BLO rather than straight tung oil?

Don't know how it affects bubinga, but it did a nice job on a white oak
piece I just finished.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim wrote:
Hi:

I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood
before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use.

I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or need much
darkening of the wood. It is quite dark enough already.

The project will require some gluing, and I suppose that I should use one of
the dark products. What kind do most people use?

Jim

I used tung oil and was very satisfied. I wrapped a countertop next to
a sink. It has stayed the same color hasn't darkened.
mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Dust Boy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim wrote:
Hi:

I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood
before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use.

I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or need
much
darkening of the wood. It is quite dark enough already.

The project will require some gluing, and I suppose that I should use one
of
the dark products. What kind do most people use?

Jim

I used tung oil and was very satisfied. I wrapped a countertop next to
a sink. It has stayed the same color hasn't darkened.
mike

I have used Formby's tung oil on oak, and it works quite well. However,
when I checked to container to see what kind of juice it has, all I could
see was "contains Aliphatic Hydrocarbons". I thus wonder how much tung oil
it really contains and is my experience with red oak directly applicable to
bubinga?

I have considered BLO and have not thrown it out of consideration. At
least, I would know what I am using.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:23:53 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

Hi:

I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood
before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use.

I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or need much
darkening of the wood. It is quite dark enough already.

The project will require some gluing, and I suppose that I should use one of
the dark products. What kind do most people use?

Jim

I've used a LOT of it on turning projects but never flat work, so this input
might not help...

Mostly used natural danish oil... doesn't darken very much and really brings out
the grain pattern..

On pens and bowls, I like the look and feel of the bubinga just sanded and
buffed with the beall system... the wood seems just oily enough to buff to a
nice glow without any oil or finish...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis