Millers

Default Mini lathe

Well, I went and did it and now I'm stuck. I took the boys out to the
shop and started teaching them to turn. Now they want their own lathe!
Grandpa says maybe that'll be on the Christmas list, but I gotta
figure out what flavor so what is the collective wisdom here? How do
folks like the Delta Midi, Jet Mini, etc. We're talking the $250 - $300
range, so the Oneway midi is out. Alas.

I want a 10" swing. An extensible bed is nice but not manditory. Also
want it to be portable so I can carry it outside in the summer.

So, any comments, recomendations, and horror stories welcome...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Jim Gott

Well, I went and did it and now I'm stuck. I took the boys out to the
shop and started teaching them to turn. Now they want their own lathe!
Grandpa says maybe that'll be on the Christmas list, but I gotta
figure out what flavor so what is the collective wisdom here? How do
folks like the Delta Midi, Jet Mini, etc. We're talking the $250 - $300
range, so the Oneway midi is out. Alas.

I want a 10" swing. An extensible bed is nice but not manditory. Also
want it to be portable so I can carry it outside in the summer.

So, any comments, recomendations, and horror stories welcome...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
BRBR

Kevin,
I've turned on the Jet Mini, the Jet Mini Variable Speed and the Delta Midi. I
would not recommend the Delta. The motor does not have the torque of the Jet
and when it stalls it is slow getting back up to speed. The standard Jet Mini
(pulley model) has a bit more torque than the VS model, but the VS model is
more convenient, and the motor runs quieter and cooler (the VS motor is a DC
motor).
Amazon has really good prices on both these lathes and free shipping if you
choose the supersaver shipping. They were also running a $25 instant rebate a
couple of months ago. Look on the site to see if they still do. I belive I paid
$274.99 with the instant rebate a couple of months ago for the VS model.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

res055a5

don't get the grizzly mini lathe. if you get a Jet, the 1014 model looks
nice..with or without variable speed.
but i would get them something that will be "hard to break" and then limit
what they can turn on it...maybe
by just getting them small tools?
rich
"Millers" wrote in message
Well, I went and did it and now I'm stuck. I took the boys out to the
shop and started teaching them to turn. Now they want their own lathe!
Grandpa says maybe that'll be on the Christmas list, but I gotta
figure out what flavor so what is the collective wisdom here? How do
folks like the Delta Midi, Jet Mini, etc. We're talking the $250 - $300
range, so the Oneway midi is out. Alas.

I want a 10" swing. An extensible bed is nice but not manditory. Also
want it to be portable so I can carry it outside in the summer.

So, any comments, recomendations, and horror stories welcome...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Barry N. Turner

Get a Jet mini, but don't buy small tools. Just get standard size tools.
Standard sized tools can be used on some pretty small work and they are
easier for a beginner to control. Then, when they upgrade to a larger
lathe..........they've already got the tools. I only use small tools on
very small stuff.......ornaments or even smaller detail work.

Barry

"Millers" wrote in message
Well, I went and did it and now I'm stuck. I took the boys out to the
shop and started teaching them to turn. Now they want their own lathe!
Grandpa says maybe that'll be on the Christmas list, but I gotta
figure out what flavor so what is the collective wisdom here? How do
folks like the Delta Midi, Jet Mini, etc. We're talking the $250 - $300
range, so the Oneway midi is out. Alas.

I want a 10" swing. An extensible bed is nice but not manditory. Also
want it to be portable so I can carry it outside in the summer.

So, any comments, recomendations, and horror stories welcome...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Millers

Barry N. Turner wrote:
Go for the Jet mini. I wouldn't bother with the variable speed model.
Woodcraft has had the standard model on sale for $199. Can't beat that!

Barry

Thanks all - Sounds like the Jet is the way to go.

Wonder if my Woodcraft 10% off card applies to sale items? Just checked
the website but no mention of the sale. Wonder if it's walk-in only?

I've already got plenty of tools and they won't be turning w/o me there
so I'm not worried about limiting them with small tools. Easy, simple
projects first, and over time they'll graduate on to bigger and more
complicated things...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Jim Gott

Kevin,

An afterthought on the Jet Mini: The toolrest is predisposed to easily break
right where the post meets the top, so I would have a backup handy.
The one our club owns has a simple homemade "T" made of welded 5/8" stock that
works well.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Barry N. Turner

Looks like the Jet mini is $249 at Woodcraft now, but there is a $50 off
coupon on your next Jet purchase.

Craft Supplies has the standard Jet Mini for $199 and the variable speed
model for $299. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

Barry

PS I gave $349 for mine and still consider it the deal of the century!

"Millers" wrote in message
Barry N. Turner wrote:
Go for the Jet mini. I wouldn't bother with the variable speed model.
Woodcraft has had the standard model on sale for $199. Can't beat that!

Barry

Thanks all - Sounds like the Jet is the way to go.

Wonder if my Woodcraft 10% off card applies to sale items? Just checked
the website but no mention of the sale. Wonder if it's walk-in only?

I've already got plenty of tools and they won't be turning w/o me there
so I'm not worried about limiting them with small tools. Easy, simple
projects first, and over time they'll graduate on to bigger and more
complicated things...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Millers

Jim Gott wrote:
Kevin,

An afterthought on the Jet Mini: The toolrest is predisposed to easily break
right where the post meets the top, so I would have a backup handy.
The one our club owns has a simple homemade "T" made of welded 5/8" stock that
works well.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

Good thought. I have a 6" Woodfast rest that I use on my Nova. Don't
know if the post will fit, but think not. It's probably too thick.
I'll look into getting another one - might actually want one longer than
6". Sometimes that just seems too short...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Kevin
I just put up 2 Pic. on wood central after someone asked to have a look
at the small tool rest I made.
I made all my tool rest and they can be made very easy if you have a few
pieces of steel and a welder or someone to weld it for you, the tool
rest in the pictures is made of 3 1/2" of 1"D round bar and 7" of 2"X
1/4" flat steel, I used about 1/2 welding rod to stick it together.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Millers wrote:

I have a 6" Woodfast rest that I use on my Nova. Don't
know if the post will fit, but think not. It's probably too thick. I'll
look into getting another one - might actually want one longer than 6".
Sometimes that just seems too short...

...Kevin

JAFO_InTraining

I am very new to woodturning. In fact, I ordered my Jet mini lathe last
night and haven't ever even used one. Amazon has them for $219.99 minus
a $25 instant savings on JET. That puts it at $195ish. They don't
charge tax and offer free shipping. I went ahead and splurged on the
extension. I'm not sure when or if I'll need it but what the heck. The
whole deal for $245.

As I said, I'm new to turning and am here to learn more than to
contribute. Hopefully, someday, I'll have something to contribute. For
now, I'll just post the above deal on the lathe.

By the way, I based much of my purchase decision on information
obtained on this site and from the article in Popular Woodworking that
Jgklr2732 mentions. They really like the VS model but said that the
basic is exactly the same without the variable speed option. I guess if
I feel the need to upgrade, I'll swap out the motor with a three phase
motor and use a variable frequency drive.

Eric T. in MN

Chuck

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:12:57 -0900, Millers wrote:

Well, I went and did it and now I'm stuck. I took the boys out to the
shop and started teaching them to turn. Now they want their own lathe!
Grandpa says maybe that'll be on the Christmas list, but I gotta
figure out what flavor so what is the collective wisdom here? How do
folks like the Delta Midi, Jet Mini, etc. We're talking the $250 - $300
range, so the Oneway midi is out. Alas.

Hands down, no question, Jet Mini, and skip the VS in favor of the
belts.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Peter Teubel

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:11:52 -0900, Millers wrote:

Wonder if my Woodcraft 10% off card applies to sale items?

Nope. Cannot be used with any other discount. Also cannot be used on power tools or workbenches.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com