Ghodges2

Default Funny or Stupid Questions I Hear at Shows

One woman asked me if I bought the bowls and sold them. Another wanted to know
if I scooped them out with a knife. One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga.
Ray Sandusky

One asked me if I used a chainsaw to cut out the bowls
Another asked where I was able to buy such a large piece of wood

I guess if one is not involved with the process then one is not aware of
what is going on...
Ray

"Ghodges2" wrote in message
One woman asked me if I bought the bowls and sold them. Another wanted to
know
if I scooped them out with a knife. One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga.

Jim Gott

I hear all the time from women when they're looking at an art bowl or vase, and
they ask, "What do you do with this?"
My answer is, "You dust it."

A good friend of mine had sold a 15" natural edge bowl of Chinese Scholar to a
woman at a craft show for $150. The bark stood up a couple of inches from the
rim of the bowl. She called him a few days later, furious, and wanted him to
come over and get the pieces out of the bottom of the machine.
"What machine? What are you talking about?" he asked.
"The dishwasher!" she replied.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

Ghodges2

My wife said she wanted to put curtains around our booth next time, call it the
mystery booth, and charge people $1 a pop to just look inside. Lot of lookers
pick up a bowl and I swear they act like they are holding a hot horseshoe when
they see the price.

Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga

Arch

Hey Glenn, You destroyed any more South Georgia rain forests lately?

OTOH, how about the questions some woodturners (that includes me) ask at
quilting, beading, lace making, and doll shows? Or...city folk at a hog
killing!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

RonB

We stopped at the Four Corners Monument several years ago. There were 20 or
30 locals, mostly Indians, with stands or trailers selling their goods. One
group had a couple of tablecloth-draped folding tables set up with an
impressive array of silver and turquoise jewelry laid out and a large sign
"Authentic Native American Jewelry"

As the breeze fluttered the table cloth, the area under the tables was full
of boxes labeled "made in Taiwan".

"Ghodges2" wrote in message
One woman asked me if I bought the bowls and sold them. Another wanted to
know
if I scooped them out with a knife. One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga.

Kilcummin

Madagascar Ohio of course

Steve Wolfe

One woman asked me if I bought the bowls and sold them. Another wanted to
know
if I scooped them out with a knife. One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.

Back in high school, I worked in an ice-cream shop. I can't tell you how
many people would ask me "What's in the pralines and caramel?" I'd tell
them that it was a vanilla ice cream base with pralines and caramel, and
they'd look me right in the eye, and ask me "Yes, but what's in it?"

steve

Kip055

One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.

I use turquoise inlay for cracks, worm holes etc. in some of my pieces. You
would not belieive how many people ask what kind of trees have turquoise in
them??

My second favorite dumb question is "Are these dishwasher safe?"

Kip Powers
Rogers. AR
Tom

Working at a jobsite one bright, sunny morning, a trucker pulled up and asked;
"Which way's East?" Tom
Work at your leisure!
Bill Rubenstein

I can't resist...

A friend who does drawings was busy in his booth, drawing. A woman looked over his shoulder
and asked "Are you drawing that?"

Bill

In article , DY says...
Working at a jobsite one bright, sunny morning, a trucker pulled up and asked;
"Which way's East?" Tom
Work at your leisure!

Barry N. Turner

I can top that. I told one of the women at work that I had a new
woodturning lathe (a Stubby) on order. "Oh great, she says, you can make
us a new picnic table for outside the office!" I told her, "Yeah, I'll get
right on it!" Sad, isn't it?

Barry

"Ghodges2" wrote in message
One woman asked me if I bought the bowls and sold them. Another wanted

know
if I scooped them out with a knife. One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga.

James

made a wooden spoon, when I finished it my sister-in law seen it and
asked how did I put the rings in the bowl of the spoon, she didn't know
about growth rings.

James
www.cryscom.nb.ca

Steve Wolfe wrote:
One woman asked me if I bought the bowls and sold them. Another wanted to

know

if I scooped them out with a knife. One wanted to know where Madagascar
rosewood was from.

Back in high school, I worked in an ice-cream shop. I can't tell you how
many people would ask me "What's in the pralines and caramel?" I'd tell
them that it was a vanilla ice cream base with pralines and caramel, and
they'd look me right in the eye, and ask me "Yes, but what's in it?"

steve

George

Not as far-fetched as it may seem. If a turner gets the wood from the trees
of a certain city park, he will be treated to the broken glass and "found
object art" of a local artist who filled the cracks with stuff and mortar.
Not sure if it's the trees protesting the work done under the grant, but
they're being overgrown....

"Kip055" wrote in message

I use turquoise inlay for cracks, worm holes etc. in some of my pieces.

You
would not belieive how many people ask what kind of trees have turquoise

in
them??

J. Clarke

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I can't resist...

A friend who does drawings was busy in his booth, drawing. A woman looked
over his shoulder and asked "Are you drawing that?"

I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when I
answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?"

Bill

In article ,
DY says...

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Dave in Fairfax

Kip055 wrote:
I use turquoise inlay for cracks, worm holes etc. in some of my pieces. You
would not belieive how many people ask what kind of trees have turquoise in
them??
My second favorite dumb question is "Are these dishwasher safe?"

A relative of mine out in Seattle has one of yours, with turquoise
in it, he loves it. Has it on the mantle of his timber framed
house, with 18-24" cross members showing across the width of the
house. I got sick of the stupid questions, what's it made of, is
it safe, how to ewas it, and hand out a "Care and Feeding" paper
with mine now.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Mike Paulson

In article ,
Jim Gott wrote:
I hear all the time from women when they're looking at an art bowl or vase, and
they ask, "What do you do with this?"
My answer is, "You dust it."

During the first hour or two of a show I am very polite and patiently talk
about turning and the creative process. By the end of the 3rd day I have
been known to repeat what a gallery owner told me she had once said,
"It's art, stupid, you look at it."

Peter Charles Fagg

Very similar to Glenn, we call them 3 P'ers, "Pick up", "Put down" and
"Push off".

Then there are those who insist that "They LOVE wood" proceed to
question you for 20 minutes, then walk away empty handed!

OR those who ask "Are they really made of wood?". Or after handling
virtually every piece displayed say "They ARE wood!", and then say
that there is nothing of interest!

After nearly 5 years of doing the rounds of local shows, craft shows
etc. there is still nothing more irritating than those who spend many
long minutes discussing every fine detail and comparing of prices,
then insist LOUDLY that they can buy better, cheaper etc. etc. at
their local shop!!!

You have got to laugh or you will be constantly crying.

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!
Ghodges2

How 'bout the one that spends 10 minutes telling you about the one her
grandmother had while you want to talk to other customers. Of course she
doesn't buy one daggone confounded thing.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Ga
mac davis

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:03:23 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I can't resist...

A friend who does drawings was busy in his booth, drawing. A woman looked
over his shoulder and asked "Are you drawing that?"

I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when I
answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?"

Bill

it's worse when you give them a cell phone and call them and get "hi!
how did you know where I was?"

Mike

J. Clarke wrote:
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I can't resist...

A friend who does drawings was busy in his booth, drawing. A woman looked
over his shoulder and asked "Are you drawing that?"

I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when I
answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?"

Actually not too bad a question now - with call forwarding and cell phones.
But, yes, "Are you home?" still sounds odd even though it is a good question.

George

Sorry, the stupidest phone question is from my days in dorms and barracks.

The phone in the hall rings until you or some other sap goes to answer it.

"Hi, is Charlie Potatoes there?"
"Who?"
"Charlie, lives in 322."
"This is the _first_ floor phone."
"Well, could you see if he's there, it's kind of important?"

Well, stupid enough to answer, stupid enough to go, and no, he's not there.

"He's not there."

Then - the stupidest phone question:

"Do you know when he'll be back?"

"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when

answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?"

Actually not too bad a question now - with call forwarding and cell

phones.
But, yes, "Are you home?" still sounds odd even though it is a good

question.

Derek Andrews

Jim Gott wrote:
I hear all the time from women when they're looking at an art bowl or vase, and
they ask, "What do you do with this?"
My answer is, "You dust it."

That's a good one. I'll be using that if you don't mind

One I hear a lot is 'do you make this?'

Probably the most annoying comments I get, other than people pretending
to hit one another with spurtles and dibbers, is 'Beautiful work' as
they glide by my booth with hardly a glance. I'm always sorely tempted
to reply 'yes, I know' but I suspect that sarcasm is beyond their
intellectual capacity. Second most annoying is 'its such a lot of work',
from people who have absolutley no idea of how much work is involved, or
more importantly, how much skill is involved.

I do my best to educate people about woodturning and fine craftsmanship,
but in too many cases its just a waste of breath

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

J. Clarke

Mike wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

I can't resist...

A friend who does drawings was busy in his booth, drawing. A woman
looked over his shoulder and asked "Are you drawing that?"

I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when I
answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?"

Actually not too bad a question now - with call forwarding and cell
phones. But, yes, "Are you home?" still sounds odd even though it is a
good question.

"Are you home" is one thing. But if I'm talking to her on a telephone it
should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that I am within
talking distance of the phone on which I am talking.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Bill Grumbine

I have heard many of the comments made in this thread, but probably the most
unique one I have experienced to date was from a neighbor of mine during a
show in my shop. He picked up a natural edged burl which has just been
finished the night before, telling me how beautiful it was. But then,
looking at the bottom, he said:

"But you didn't make this one."

"Sure I did."

"You couldn't have. Your name isn't on the bottom like the others."

I thought he was joking at first, but he was dead serious. I informed him
that I hadn't gotten to signing them all yet, and was in that very process.
Although he was a bit suspicious at first, his suspicions were allayed
somewhat when I showed him three or for other pieces still to be signed. I
think it helped that I had my special pen there too. He ended up buying it,
so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

commercial site www.wonderfulwood.com
personal site www.enter.net/~ultradad
"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Jim Gott wrote:
[...]

Mike

J. Clarke wrote:

"Are you home" is one thing. But if I'm talking to her on a telephone it
should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that I am within
talking distance of the phone on which I am talking.

If they mean "There" as a specific location, you may not be 'there', but
somewhere else - forwarded to your cell phone or a neighbor's house. I know it
sounds dumb but in a way it is a legitimate question.

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
Derek Andrews wrote:

One I hear a lot is 'do you make this?'

Considering the number of booths at a lot of "craft" shows selling
made-in-china/taiwan/other-slave-labour-country, that might be a pretty
fair question.

Not just to pick on you, but I have found a lot of complaints in this
thread odd. It is as if you might expect your customers to be turners or
at least craftsman; not only are they not, true craftsmanship is getting
so far from your typical urbanite that they have no clue. This is not
stupid, it is sad.

PK
Derek Andrews

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Considering the number of booths at a lot of "craft" shows selling
made-in-china/taiwan/other-slave-labour-country, that might be a pretty
fair question.

Fortunately that doesn't happen too much around here, and I wouldn't go
back to a show which permitted this.

Not just to pick on you, but I have found a lot of complaints in this
thread odd. It is as if you might expect your customers to be turners or
at least craftsman; not only are they not, true craftsmanship is getting
so far from your typical urbanite that they have no clue. This is not
stupid, it is sad.

I agree with you totally. Like I said, I do try to educate people as
much as I can, but often I will quickly realise that the ROI is going to
be nil, and that they are determined to buy something with santa painted
on it. They are better off going to another booth that suits their
requirements, leaving me free to make a pitch to a better qualified punter.

Having said that, we still get people come into the studio, look through
the viewing window into the workshop, and still ask if I make this stuff
here. I think my response is usually based more on their attitiude and
tone than it is to the actual question. I must admit that I respond
better to the intelligent and inquisitve than I do to those lacking in
those qualities.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

J. Clarke

Mike wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

"Are you home" is one thing. But if I'm talking to her on a telephone it
should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that I am
within talking distance of the phone on which I am talking.

If they mean "There" as a specific location, you may not be 'there', but
somewhere else - forwarded to your cell phone or a neighbor's house. I
know it sounds dumb but in a way it is a legitimate question.

To refresh your memory, my original observation was:

"I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when I
answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?""

Note--NEAR A PHONE. Not "there". Not "home". Please try to read more
carefully in the future.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Arch

Of course, I realize that this is a 'fun thread' for all of us to laugh,
scratch & share with each other. In the world of shows, it's best to
explain why their question is funny and make a friend. Probably best not
to mention stupidity; that's often in the insensibility of the beholder.
Some mighty smart people don't know much about woodturning. They might
be thinking of buying a turning for someone who knows more then about
the craft than I do.

I'm still smarting from the smirks & laughter at an EMT meeting years
ago in which I mistakenly thought 'running lights' meant thru 'stop
lights' instead of having their lights flashing. Stupidity is often
confused with not knowing the jargon.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

cindy drozda

Another twist to the "dumb" questions from customers: I attended a
workshop on sales techniques that was put on by Bruce Baker (somewhat well
known in the crafts world for his tapes and articles on the subject). He
suggested that the "dumb" questions like "did you make this" or "how long
did this take you" are really not requests for acutal information but what
he calls "giving you permission to sell". The concept is that the customer
is just saying something, anything, to get you to start talking about your
work. It's not about the actual question, but about the customer wanting
to know more about the work and letting you know it. This really opened my
eyes to a new perspective. So know when they ask how long it takes, I
launch into a description of the process, or my inspiration, or anything I
can come up with. But the question that really makes me roll my eyes and
groan is "what is woodturning? what is a lathe?"......

CD
boulder, co

Millers

cindy drozda wrote:

can come up with. But the question that really makes me roll my eyes and
groan is "what is woodturning? what is a lathe?"......

About 300 million years ago when I was in high school everybody knew
what a lathe was and nobody knew what a hard drive was. Now they all
know computers inside and out, but don't know which end of a gouge to
sharpen! I haven't done craft shows in a number of years, but when I
did I always wanted a TV/VCR sitting there showing how a bowl is made.
I figured it would draw a a crowd and explain a lot at the same time.

Never did get around to doing that but if I ever start doing craft shows
again I well may. My wife bought a small TV w/built in VCR so it would
be a breeze to set up...

....Kevin

Ghodges2

I did a pictorial essay, and I have it on the table with my bowls. It saves me
a lot of breath. The people all think that my bowls were turned from the end of
the log, and are really surprised when they see the steps involved in turning a
bowl from a log to the finished product.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, GA.