4-LOM

Default Stupid questions about feather edge cladding

I want to put some feather edge cladding on a shed. A mate was going
to do it for me but he's let me down so I'll have to do it myself.
I've checked the FAQs and done lots of Google searches but can't find
the answers to my questions, maybe because they're too obvious.

The boards I've got are about 2.5m long and 6" wide.

How far should they overlap each other?
What sort of nails are best for fixing them? (I've found conflicting
answers to this on the web)
How far in from the edges should the nails go?
Do I need to treat the boards with anything before I put them up or
can I just creosote them after they're fixed in place?

Hope someone can answer this, or point me in the direction of some
website which gives a complete idiot's guide to cladding.
Zizz

"4-LOM" wrote in message
om...
I want to put some feather edge cladding on a shed. A mate was going
to do it for me but he's let me down so I'll have to do it myself.
I've checked the FAQs and done lots of Google searches but can't find
the answers to my questions, maybe because they're too obvious.

The boards I've got are about 2.5m long and 6" wide.

How far should they overlap each other?
What sort of nails are best for fixing them? (I've found conflicting
answers to this on the web)
How far in from the edges should the nails go?
Do I need to treat the boards with anything before I put them up or
can I just creosote them after they're fixed in place?

Hope someone can answer this, or point me in the direction of some
website which gives a complete idiot's guide to cladding.

Ask in uk.rec.gardening .... it's kinda garden related....

Toby

4-LOM wrote:
I want to put some feather edge cladding on a shed. A mate was going

THey do swell and contract alot outside so it is worth being careful with
the fixings. Make sure the thin end is covered by the next plank, and the
thick end visible. Nail through in a single line just above the overlap to
allow for the natural movement.

--
Toby.

Alex

Whatever nails you use wire or oval,tap the sharp end of the nail to blunt
it,this will prevent the feather edge splitting as it is prone to
do.Normally they overlap by a quarter but you could if you wish go up to a
third especially as it is for a shed.Are the boards being used vertical or
horizontal

4-LOM

"Toby" wrote in message ...
4-LOM wrote:
I want to put some feather edge cladding on a shed. A mate was going

THey do swell and contract alot outside so it is worth being careful with
the fixings. Make sure the thin end is covered by the next plank, and the
thick end visible. Nail through in a single line just above the overlap to
allow for the natural movement.

Thanks for the tips (very good ASCII art ). I was thinking of
putting creosote substitute (or something similar) on them once
they're up, but given that they are likely to swell and contract, will
this expose parts of the wood which were previously covered by the
next board and so didn't get coated with cresoste?

Toby

4-LOM wrote:
putting creosote substitute (or something similar) on them once
they're up, but given that they are likely to swell and contract, will
this expose parts of the wood which were previously covered by the
next board and so didn't get coated with cresoste?

I painted liberally with Ronseal Timbercare, and sure enough had
surprisingly large white stripes exposed in Summer so had to do it again.
Incidentally painting was very hard work on the raw boards, so I used a
sprayer the second time. I would consider painting each board before fixing
as that would certainly solve it.

--
Toby.

Michael Mcneil

"4-LOM" wrote in message
om

The boards I've got are about 2.5m long and 6" wide.

Put them on with as much overlap as will allow you to have them equally
spaced and cover the area required. Keeping them spaced equally is the
main problem and they look terrible if you mess that up.

How far should they overlap each other?

Enpough to cover the nails and a bit. The way you are supposed to put
them (thin edge up) means the weight is taken by the smallest section. I
always thought that is daft.

What sort of nails are best for fixing them?

Sheradised or galvanised or wooden dowels. Nail from the bottom up and
you will only expose the last set. Dowel from the bottom down or you
won't be a happy chappie after the first board goes on.

How far in from the edges should the nails go?

The idea is to stop the nail splitting the wood. 2" is plenty

Do I need to treat the boards with anything before I put them up.

You won't be able to paint the back or the covered parts after will you?
Doing it before you fix them is a sight easier. Then they just need
treating every few years. Creosoting means that you will never be able
to paint them or perhaps use any other treatment. Cuprinol or some such
is the best.

For future reference:
If you orer the boards from a timber mill you can specify what thickness
and width you want and get it treated too.