George

Sorry, the stupidest phone question is from my days in dorms and barracks.

The phone in the hall rings until you or some other sap goes to answer it.

"Hi, is Charlie Potatoes there?"
"Who?"
"Charlie, lives in 322."
"This is the _first_ floor phone."
"Well, could you see if he's there, it's kind of important?"

Well, stupid enough to answer, stupid enough to go, and no, he's not there.

"He's not there."

Then - the stupidest phone question:

"Do you know when he'll be back?"

"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm reminded of a girl I used to date who one day called me up and when

answered the first thing she said was "Are you near a phone?"

Actually not too bad a question now - with call forwarding and cell

phones.
But, yes, "Are you home?" still sounds odd even though it is a good

question.