Derek Andrews

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Considering the number of booths at a lot of "craft" shows selling
made-in-china/taiwan/other-slave-labour-country, that might be a pretty
fair question.

Fortunately that doesn't happen too much around here, and I wouldn't go
back to a show which permitted this.

Not just to pick on you, but I have found a lot of complaints in this
thread odd. It is as if you might expect your customers to be turners or
at least craftsman; not only are they not, true craftsmanship is getting
so far from your typical urbanite that they have no clue. This is not
stupid, it is sad.

I agree with you totally. Like I said, I do try to educate people as
much as I can, but often I will quickly realise that the ROI is going to
be nil, and that they are determined to buy something with santa painted
on it. They are better off going to another booth that suits their
requirements, leaving me free to make a pitch to a better qualified punter.

Having said that, we still get people come into the studio, look through
the viewing window into the workshop, and still ask if I make this stuff
here. I think my response is usually based more on their attitiude and
tone than it is to the actual question. I must admit that I respond
better to the intelligent and inquisitve than I do to those lacking in
those qualities.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning