Andrew Barss

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss
Lyn J. Mangiameli

Hi Andrew,

If I had to keep my lathe movable, here's what I would do.

Put Nova 3000 on either the new Technatool Cast Iron legs (contact
Technatool direct for availability) or modify the very heavy Jet cast
iron legs to fit my Nova (George Moore did this and is very happy with
them).

Mount cast iron legs to casters using a metal or heavy wooden brace that
runs across the bottom of the legs from front to back.

Drill brace with four holes each to take a 3/4 or larger bolt.

Drill and set 4 anchors (two each side) in the floor where the lathe
will be located.

When the time comes for use, move lathe into position and run four bolts
into the sockets in the floor, thus bolting the lathe to the floor. Use
the other holes with some nuts to run another four bolts (or machine
mounts) into (against) the floor; these bolts/mounts will serve as
standoffs and counterbalance the attachment bolts and take the load off
the castors.

This should make for a very stable and yet movable system. You can put
socket head bolts in the floor sockets when the lathe is not in use so
they don't fill with debris.

I'm writing this quick, but feel free to get back to me if this didn't
make any sense.

Lyn

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

Rob V

I actually did this - I took a modified version of Norms Assembly table fold
away wheels idea (look on the NYW webside for pics) and adapted them to my
NOVA stand.

Total weight of the stand /lathe/cement bags is around 600+ pounds.
I use a 7" bar w/ a lever to lift 1 end of the lathe and the wheels fold
down.
I then move to the other side and lift - and the other side folds down - I
roll to where I want it - then do the same thing - lift the one end - and
they fold away - then the other.

Ill post pics if you want.

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

Russell Seaton

I once used a Jet 1236 lathe with a mobile base. The normal
Jet/Delta/HTC base for around $100 or whatever. It was awful. This
was just the plain Jet 1236 lathe and stand on the mobile base. No
extra weights or bracing. I finally resorted to sticking one foot
inside the base and pulling the hwole lathe towards me while I pushed
with the lathe tool on the outside of the bowl. And for hollowing it
was somewhat the same, I used my foot to keep the lathe from rolling
away. And yes the wheels on the mobile base were locked in whatever
manner they lock.

Another time I used a Powermatic 3520 lathe with the rolling/locking
casters Woodcrft sells to put under machinery. It did not move around
as I recall. But I think I was doing more delicate spindle work
instead of roughing out a bowl and hollowing it. And the Powermatic
is a big lathe to begin with.

So my advice is not to use a mobile base under your lathe. Unless you
can completely immobilize it using a method such as suggested by Lyn
M.

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

Marshall Gorrow

Andrew, the easiest way is a very old method. Run home made wheel barrel
handles from the tailstock end past the headstock end. Mount a wheel at the
headstock end so that it clears the floor by about 1/2". When you lift on
the handles that extend past the tailstock end, the weight is transferred
off all four legs onto the wheel and the handles. Keep it level during
movement or a leg will catch and you will have to put it down fast to keep
from losing it! :-)) The advantange of this method is that the lathe rests
solidly on the floor when not being moved.

--
Marshall Gorrow
Hogansburg, NY USA
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

ed french

Well, my lathe isn't "god-quality", but it is on casters

I put casters on my lathe when I was building it, so I could move it
around, and I've never had a reason to take them off. The lathe
weighs about 1200 pounds. I've turned a few large, out of balance,
pieces that made the lathe rock slightly. It's never gotten out of
control. It does have a variable speed motor and it always starts at 0
rpm. In other words, I have to move the speed control to 0 before it
will start. I don't have to worry about starting an out of balance
piece at an unsafe speed.

I don't believe in bolting a lathe solidly to the floor for the simple
reason that it won't warn you when an out of balance piece will exceed
the lathe's capability to hold it.

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

william_b_noble

a nova 3000 is not that big and it won't spin really big stuff - if you set
up a lever arm system that raises the lathe up on wheels for movement and
then drops it onto it's feet when you are done, there is no problem - you
can buy these comercially or make your own.

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

Lance Kanaby

Hello Andrew Barss:

I have all of my equipment on casters in my shop as it is the only way
to be able to move things around to clean up in a very small area.

Yes, I have a Nova 3000 lathe mounted on a homemade stand that weighs
about 300 pounds and it sit on top of 4" locking casters. I have had
no problem with this setup, but do not turn large outboard items. If
something is out of balance I just slow down the lathe as it has a 1
HP DC motor on it. So I would say to go for as long as your setup is
substantial in weight and stabil. BTW: I have never locked down these
casters yet and have turned items as large as 15" x 10". I did turn a
22" platter with the outboard setup, but it was very close to being
round with no problems.

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

George

That's how mine moves. Only instead of legs, I have skids, beveled at the
wheeled (2) end so that as the handles are elevated, they contact the
concrete. Owners of really heavy lathes, or, like me, really heavy
cabinet/lathe combinations are well advised to attach the handles below
waist level so they can squat and lift with their legs rather than their
backs.

"Marshall Gorrow" wrote in message
m...
Andrew, the easiest way is a very old method. Run home made wheel barrel
handles from the tailstock end past the headstock end. Mount a wheel at

the
headstock end so that it clears the floor by about 1/2". When you lift on
the handles that extend past the tailstock end, the weight is transferred
off all four legs onto the wheel and the handles. Keep it level during
movement or a leg will catch and you will have to put it down fast to keep
from losing it! :-)) The advantange of this method is that the lathe rests
solidly on the floor when not being moved.

moyo

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:33:08 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss

Well, Andy... if you do decide to put the lathe on a mobile base, and
you decide to rough turn a nice size piece of wood, let me know so I
can see your lathe go shooting out the door and into your brand new
car. I'm going to bring my video camera so that I will win best video
on America's funniest home videos. Then I'll buy another 3520a....

In other words...NO!!!!

moyo

Dan

Hi Andy,

Albeit improbable, here is what I have done; I was going to build a mobile base which added a few inches, as I am 6'1"
and the additional height helps on all the other tools in the shop. I have a heavy duty Delta Rockwell lathe which I
had put on a couple of furniture dollies. I did this just to move it around until I could find a spot in the shop where
I was most comfortable with it. I was going to fabricate a mobile base from Unistrut framing, as I had with most of my
other tools.

I am not sure if it is Karma of the proper phase of the moon, but it is rock solid on these two $19 Home Depot dollies.
I have roughed a lot of large walnut blanks without a vibration (free walnut when APS clear cut the powerlines in the
Oak Creek Canyon). I have a hard time believing this would work again or anywhere else, but it does. Prior to this,
and with a smaller lathe, I have loaded the base with sandbags to dampen vibrations. Seems to work and is cheap.

I had the pleasure of two weeks in Tucson this summer, sleeping on the floor of the faculty dining room at Sabino High
School. We were the first-in fire management team on the Aspen Fire. A real tragic loss. We were there for the Bullock
Fire the year before without the loss to property. A third of my staff left yesterday for a clam bake in L.A. and
Ventura Counties. I may be out in a day or two. I was hoping we were done with fire season. By the way, how did the
Performax sander work out? Good luck with the lathe.

Dan Wills,
Sedona

Language, n. The music with which we charm the serpents gaurding another's treasure.
A. Bierce, c.1890