Russell Seaton

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

I once used a Jet 1236 lathe with a mobile base. The normal
Jet/Delta/HTC base for around $100 or whatever. It was awful. This
was just the plain Jet 1236 lathe and stand on the mobile base. No
extra weights or bracing. I finally resorted to sticking one foot
inside the base and pulling the hwole lathe towards me while I pushed
with the lathe tool on the outside of the bowl. And for hollowing it
was somewhat the same, I used my foot to keep the lathe from rolling
away. And yes the wheels on the mobile base were locked in whatever
manner they lock.

Another time I used a Powermatic 3520 lathe with the rolling/locking
casters Woodcrft sells to put under machinery. It did not move around
as I recall. But I think I was doing more delicate spindle work
instead of roughing out a bowl and hollowing it. And the Powermatic
is a big lathe to begin with.

So my advice is not to use a mobile base under your lathe. Unless you
can completely immobilize it using a method such as suggested by Lyn
M.

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss