George

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

That's how mine moves. Only instead of legs, I have skids, beveled at the
wheeled (2) end so that as the handles are elevated, they contact the
concrete. Owners of really heavy lathes, or, like me, really heavy
cabinet/lathe combinations are well advised to attach the handles below
waist level so they can squat and lift with their legs rather than their
backs.

"Marshall Gorrow" wrote in message
m...
Andrew, the easiest way is a very old method. Run home made wheel barrel
handles from the tailstock end past the headstock end. Mount a wheel at

the
headstock end so that it clears the floor by about 1/2". When you lift on
the handles that extend past the tailstock end, the weight is transferred
off all four legs onto the wheel and the handles. Keep it level during
movement or a leg will catch and you will have to put it down fast to keep
from losing it! :-)) The advantange of this method is that the lathe rests
solidly on the floor when not being moved.