Lance Kanaby

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

Hello Andrew Barss:

I have all of my equipment on casters in my shop as it is the only way
to be able to move things around to clean up in a very small area.

Yes, I have a Nova 3000 lathe mounted on a homemade stand that weighs
about 300 pounds and it sit on top of 4" locking casters. I have had
no problem with this setup, but do not turn large outboard items. If
something is out of balance I just slow down the lathe as it has a 1
HP DC motor on it. So I would say to go for as long as your setup is
substantial in weight and stabil. BTW: I have never locked down these
casters yet and have turned items as large as 15" x 10". I did turn a
22" platter with the outboard setup, but it was very close to being
round with no problems.

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss