ed french

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

Well, my lathe isn't "god-quality", but it is on casters

I put casters on my lathe when I was building it, so I could move it
around, and I've never had a reason to take them off. The lathe
weighs about 1200 pounds. I've turned a few large, out of balance,
pieces that made the lathe rock slightly. It's never gotten out of
control. It does have a variable speed motor and it always starts at 0
rpm. In other words, I have to move the speed control to 0 before it
will start. I don't have to worry about starting an out of balance
piece at an unsafe speed.

I don't believe in bolting a lathe solidly to the floor for the simple
reason that it won't warn you when an out of balance piece will exceed
the lathe's capability to hold it.

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss