Marshall Gorrow

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

Andrew, the easiest way is a very old method. Run home made wheel barrel
handles from the tailstock end past the headstock end. Mount a wheel at the
headstock end so that it clears the floor by about 1/2". When you lift on
the handles that extend past the tailstock end, the weight is transferred
off all four legs onto the wheel and the handles. Keep it level during
movement or a leg will catch and you will have to put it down fast to keep
from losing it! :-)) The advantange of this method is that the lathe rests
solidly on the floor when not being moved.

--
Marshall Gorrow
Hogansburg, NY USA
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss